Just got a call from a friend: Hertfordshire Boar

Beardo

• 3 weeks later...

Dougy it made the Burton Mail a woman doctor driving down newton road saw it in the grounds of the hotel on the winshill side of the river.then again no ones found it yet

Not got over my side of the Trent then.

Its a tad strange that only one is seen but no other signs, i may not have heard though.

• 8 months later...

Males are the ones that are usually found in new area's but unfortunately the boar will have been pushed out by a big fella and will roam in search of his own female friend, he will get walloped before he ever finds a soul mate and the only real chance of that is a domestic pig. I have 1400 acres of prime woodland five miles from one of the densest populations of boar in the country but as yet the pigs have not made it across the private land outside of their Forestry commission strong hold, not to colonise anyway. Its like death alley for the boar, the ones that don't get shot get run over, they will get to my patch eventually if a sounder can make it across the killing fields.

I know what you mean Redgum about colonizing, not just the Wild Boar, we had quite a few sighting of Fallow near us, then the next sighting was a carcass or the remains of, that some embryo of a brain cell had shot took what they wanted and left the rest. No doubt some muppet out Foxing thought he would do some deer stalking too. :mad:

Worst of it was it was on one of my bits. :mad:

I know what you mean Redgum about colonizing, not just the Wild Boar, we had quite a few sighting of Fallow near us, then the next sighting was a carcass or the remains of, that some embryo of a brain cell had shot took what they wanted and left the rest. No doubt some muppet out Foxing thought he would do some deer stalking too. :mad:

Unfortunately some are in the thinking that if they don't shoot it someone else will, and fallow are pretty stupid with the lamp though they do get educated, put the red beam on a few of em last week just to educate them( saw em with the thermal just 20yds away) when looking for piggies,as soon as the lamp was on them they took off, obviously they have seen that before. As yet there has never been a conviction for shooting a deer at night, pretty unbelieveable really. Its going to get worse now NV is getting cheaper.

Bet it had 22-250 size holes in doughy hay

Passive poaching is a major problem, by passive poaching I mean people who have permission to shoot some species eg vermin but not taking game and deer or have the correct calibre tool to do so. Some lads were shooting on one of my permissions, they had done some building work on the farmers house and he ok'd it for them to have a go at the rabbits as they were begging, I've shot most of the rabbits but still a few hopping about. Early one morning a neighbouring house holder rang me to say some lads had been lamping all night and were spotted carrying a fallow out at first light. Luckily the farmer put a stop to it, well in a way, he told em not to shoot the deer in fear of loosing his well butchered venison and bottle of xmas scotch. The following weekend the farmer had a call late in the evening from the building guys saying they were stuck in mud, the farmer towed em out late morning the next day, they had been in the truck all-night expecting a speedy rescue, they have never been back to my knowledge. Moral of the story, always look after the permission owners especially at xmas.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...