******* livid

tosspot

After shooting a quick round at Horne with Dunganick, we decided we shoot off and get down to Southdown for a 150 bird all round comp, 50 Sportrap, 50 Sporting and 50 Super Sporting

£50 entry and bought my shells for the day there also £20, bit steep but what the hell we wanted to make a day of it :):)

started steadily on the Sportrap carding a 19 & 17 ex 25 and a 80 ex 100 on the Sporting and Super Sporting combined :P???

eventually carding a 116 ex 150 which was good enough for second in B class :good::good:

wasn't expecting a great deal back but enough to offset the day a bit :good::good:

at the end of the day we were told that due to a low entry 64 i believe (you do the math @ £50 a pop) only first places would be paid :):lol:

now with the ladies, veterans, junior and colts this i can understand but from my perspective my class had over one third the entire entry in it 24 in total, to say i was gutted would be an understatement :no::no:

to top it off my mate also dipped out on second in C class with a 96

now i do not feel that i'm being a pot hunter here but i am somewhat aggrieved at the situation i will certainly have to consider my next weekends choice of venue very carefully

a very disgruntled Tp

The only competition I ever shot (many years ago and I came nowhere), guaranteed to pay out a certain percentage of the entry fee, over all the classes.

What this meant was, that even if there was a small entry, every placing got something, albeit small.

It sometimes pays to read the small print.

They must have had it stated somewhere, that they reserve the right to only pay out certain classes.

I admire your restraint, I would still be there arguing about it. :)

All prizes should stay in the classes, with the advertised payouts (say 1st/2nd/3rd) being reduced proportionately based on number of entries. Can't think of any other way to make it fair, everyone gets something as advertised, even if it is less than anticipated.

Just my view, if this happened to me I would be the same mate, gutted..

Say it worked like this :-

£100 high gun

£50 second

£25 third

This means there would have to have been £175 in prize contributions from the A class shooters. Say there was only £100 in the prize fund, rather than giving it all to the high gun, do it like this :-

175 shares of 100 is roughly 57p in the pound, so :-

High gun takes £57

Second takes £28.50

Third takes £14.30 (rounded)

At least all three placings get something of the day offset and would understand that there were not sufficient entries to pay full prize.

No?

I'm afraid Southdown does have a reputation for poor payouts, and relatively expensive entry fees, CPSA rules state that the payback per entry, (typically £6), should be prominently displayed at the point of entry, however the vast majority of grounds, Southdown included, ignore this rule in order to fudge the payout issue.

I suppose as this wasn't a registered event, they could say that the rule doesn't apply..??

Also, spare a thought for us poor AA class shooters when the payout is made in the classes, very often 1st in AA will take home £20 or £30 after returning a 92, because there are never that many entries in AA, whereas a B or C class shooter who wins their class after returning a 75 may take home £50 or £75.

It doesn't pay to be any good in this game... :) , cue the Violins.. :lol:

I can't make Southdown next Sunday, I'm probably going to 4 Counties near Newbury, they have a 70 bird Registered followed by a 70 bird re-entry and pool shoot, it's better value for money, and a much bigger, fairer payout.

Cat.

first thing i checked when i got home

"cash prizes in all classes" on the ad in the shooting press

covered ***** i suppose

never mind i've calmed down a bit now :good::blush:

next time i'll have to make sure i take the class :lol::lol:

cat

surely more often than not AA takes high gun or at least they should

Mungler

how did you fair at Dartford?

The 50 quid entry fee would have been enough for me to drive on past, let alone the cartridge prices!

And I thought Valley View was expensive :good:

stuart,

Valley View can afford to offer cheaper entry prices because Ian no longer employs any scorers.

It's a "score it yourself" ground which is fine and dandy if everybody's shooting only for a box of Eley Grand Prix's as 1st prize, but he puts up cash prizes and that strangely seems to result in a gang of mates going round together and marking the odd lost bird as a kill.

Cat