Dummy launchers and blank pistol - law?

wildfowl jon

Hi folks,

Up until now my dog trainings been goinng pretty well and I'm fast approaching time where a dummy launcher and/or starting pistol would be beneficial. I live in a really built up Area but with surprising amounts of waste/Recreational ground Dotted tthroughout.

Where do I stand using the launcher and blank firer in these types of areas?

Best regards

Jon

Hi mate, I would advise you to steer well clear of joe public when using anything that goes bang unless you have sole permission to be there. I once was training my dog on the marsh we shoot and had the police helicopter 3 armed police and a dog handler called out because some nice person was concerned that a suspicious man was standing on the marsh( in season I might add) with two dogs and had heard gun shots. Looking back it was so funny as when the helicopter was over head I was told to place my weapon on the ground and walk towards the armed officers with my hands up, so I pulled my orange starting pistol out and did so. They were not impressed but they have to follow up all reports.

From a legal point: a starter pistol can land you in hot water if you get arrested for offences in connection with imitation firearms. It'll only take one call from someone to say you have a gun in public! There was a story in the press not long ago about someone being charged with firearms offences with a starter pistol.

Dummy launchers are a bit different as they don't look like firearms. You're more likely to get noise complaints and possible complaints of gunshots heard, but technically you can use a launcher in public but I wouldn't advise it.

I once got stopped by the noisy policeman in a car park at a local reservoir where I go. They said everthing was above board with launchers but pistols are a no no. I use mine regularly in public rural areas and had never had any bother. Great for water work on rivers and res's where dummy placement is hard especially with red caps can launch a dummy best part of 100 yards .Obviously use your head.

• 2 weeks later...