Yes or No

fruity

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Poor copy of a magazine picture, taken at a championship shoot off.

Nothing wrong with any of the shooters holding their guns while waiting their turn.

A right handed shooter with a right handed Beretta Semi-Auto, no flag inserted in the open breech, but then he is watching the flight of the targets and will be on next to shoot.

Poor copy of a magazine picture, taken at a championship shoot off.

Nothing wrong with any of the shooters holding their guns while waiting their turn.

A right handed shooter with a right handed Beretta Semi-Auto, no flag inserted in the open breech, but then he is watching the flight of the targets and will be on next to shoot.

Crickey I thought it was a copper having a seat whilst on the beat

So...what does define Gun Safety and a Safe responsible person holding a shotgun.....

In my view, the 2 are very much the same but at the same time different, in the photo, the person with the semi auto, its not a responsible person holding the shotgun but also its not holding the shotgun in a gun safe way...why?

Gun safety: Its the way you make a shotgun, incapable to discharge accidentally, via mechanical blocks (red flag) and removing/check for no cartridges, to avoid at all cost, to endanger, your safety and others

Safe responsible person holding a shotgun: its the way we demonstrate other people, that we are trained/capable/safe to shoot/walk/hold a shotgun, this its achieved, by attitude/posture/handling and visual safety aids, (red flag, gun slip), to make others around us feel safe, when in our company.

My answer its no, that it is not the way

It's a grainy picture and a little unclear.

It looks like the bolt's back and the chamber is clear, so perfectly safe in my opinion.

I'm not sure why everyone bangs on so much about 'flags' when all they do is show the chamber is empty. You have to look to see the flag, so what's the problem with looking to see the bolt's back, and the chamber is empty? In essence you would have to be looking in the same area.

As someone mentioned earlier, if a gun is in a slip nobody but the shooter knows if it's safe yet most seem happy with that.

the gun is pointing at his thumb? no gun loaded or not should ever point at somebody, if the bolt was open and there was a flag or similar in the breech I should call it safe. I shoot in company on range without a flag but the bolt is opened and the gun slung, having had various closed break action guns wafted in my direction I might add its the shooter who is safe or otherwise not the gun

I cant see from the photo but there should be a breach flag inserted to show that its unloaded and bolt back. Its a reasurance to others to see it that way.

If there is no flag folks cannot be assured its unloaded. If the bolt is back its still dangerous if he drops it or trips it could slamfire.

Bryan.

dont see any flags sticking out of the over/under next to him....who might have cartridges in his broken gun,who could also slip or drop his gun and go off...

Guest cookoff013

Bad picture.

My pet hate is snapcaps, having to slip the guns between stands.

I knew someone who needed a new gunslip and car door due to a snapcap going off. Crazy.

Unloaded guns do not discharge. Out and open.

dont see any flags sticking out of the over/under next to him....who might have cartridges in his broken gun,who could also slip or drop his gun and go off...

Rangey.

I don't think you quite understand.

If you are walking with other shooters between stands or drives or even just you and a mate walking down a field headland with double barrels broken you can see instantly if they have forgotten to unload.Its then just a matter of politely asking them to make safe.

What would you think if you were out roughshooting with a Pal on the way back to your motor,through hedges and ditches,fences etc strugling with nets and decoys and everything else and then watch him take three shells out of his semi-auto.

Rangey.

I don't think you quite understand.

If you are walking with other shooters between stands or drives or even just you and a mate walking down a field headland with double barrels broken you can see instantly if they have forgotten to unload.Its then just a matter of politely asking them to make safe.

What would you think if you were out roughshooting with a Pal on the way back to your motor,through hedges and ditches,fences etc strugling with nets and decoys and everything else and then watch him take three shells out of his semi-auto.

The guys not walking anywhere, he's stood at the stand, I'd imagine waiting to take his turn, there's nowt wrong with the way he's holding the gun and there's nowt wrong with the gun, this topic is however showing up those people who are anti semiauto!

And your thoughts?

Sorry yes should have gave mine , I just don't want it turning into a semi bashing thread

There where 5 people in this debate before I post on here who looked at the magazine which is slightly clearer but I couldnt scan it on for some reason so took a pic instead

Shooter 1 thinks its unsafe

". 2 thinks its safe

". 3 (myself) I think its unsafe

". 4 pw member thinks unsafe

". 5 thinks its safe

Atb

Fruity