Yes or No

fruity

Are you the gun safety police? Is the flag the first thing you look for if you see a semi auto on a clay ground? If you can't see a flag because it may be obscured, do you go up the user to get a closer look?

I don't see a need for a flag. Surely all that does is draw the attention to the flag so you can see that it is there. That doesn't mean that anyone else using a semi or otherwise is acting unsafely.

Its all about perception and peace of mind for the shooters around you. IMHO breech flags should be mandatory at clay grounds. I don't see what the big deal is. Finished shooting, insert flag.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rangey.

I don't think you quite understand.

If you are walking with other shooters between stands or drives or even just you and a mate walking down a field headland with double barrels broken you can see instantly if they have forgotten to unload.Its then just a matter of politely asking them to make safe.

What would you think if you were out roughshooting with a Pal on the way back to your motor,through hedges and ditches,fences etc strugling with nets and decoys and everything else and then watch him take three shells out of his semi-auto.

you can see just as easily that on a auto if the bolts back its safe.if the guy was walking about waving the barrels about then thats unsafe.a semi is no more dangerous than any other gun in the wrong hands..ive seen more unsafe handling of o/u and s/s on a formal shoot than ive ever seen with semi users...im all for gun safety but think its a bit unfair to pick out people who choose to use a semi..

you can see just as easily that on a auto if the bolts back its safe.

Well the photo is a case in point, you can't.......

if the guy was walking about waving the barrels about then thats unsafe.a semi is no more dangerous than any other gun in the wrong hands..ive seen more unsafe handling of o/u and s/s on a formal shoot than ive ever seen with semi users...im all for gun safety but think its a bit unfair to pick out people who choose to use a semi..

No one is picking on semi users. But some do seem to have an issue with putting the rest of us at ease....

Why do you need to see at a distance that the gun is safe?

Mainly so everyone knows it safe but particularly the person responsible for safety on that range. For competition it's a requirement.

ISSF

" Safety Flags. The use of safety flags confirming that a gun is unloaded with its action open is mandatory for all rifles, pistols and semi-automatic shotguns. The ISSF will announce specific requirements for safety flags to be used in ISSF Championships as soon as possible."

Bad picture.

My pet hate is snapcaps, having to slip the guns between stands.

I knew someone who needed a new gunslip and car door due to a snapcap going off. Crazy.

Unloaded guns do not discharge. Out and open.

I'm confused

Why or how would a snap cap go off?

:shaun:

if the bolt is back then safe, as he is showing its safe by displaying it to others.

i do the same in the game cart on hare shoots etc, bolt back and facing others so they can see.

flags.......waste of money. if you cant remember the bolt then you shouldn't be shooting in the company of others period!

I don`t think that flags, and the like, are a waste of money. Anything mechanical can malfunction and if there is a dirty great big piece of plastic jammed in the breech rather than a cartridge then I am happy and so should the people around me be happy.

Forgot to add, early in my shooting career I got back into the wagon at a fox shoot with both chambers of my OU full with heavy loads, I just forgot. I cannot do that now when I use my "flag" in my semi.

Edited by henry d

I own a remmy 1100 .410 as a bit of fun with clays

When I got it I did give thought to the problem, as to date no flag available online that I have found, so I keep bolt back open an when holding it I hold at the shoulder position (remember the no4) so the bolt is easily seen and the gun held safe and light to hold with top end well clear of my head

Welcome any suggestions of a safer method

Most people who are accidentally shot are done so with an "unloaded" gun. :oops: Putting your hand over the muzzle of a gun is asking for trouble no matter how 'safe' you think you are :rolleyes:

If the gun is never pointed at anyone (including yourself in this case), then it doesn't matter if the bolt is open or closed, or if the gun is loaded or unloaded.

Edited by Breastman

These will work with all gauges http://www.chamber-view.com/index.php?page=products-shotguns

Their main page says it all - see safety fast

http://www.chamber-view.com/index.php

Coming Soon!

Chamber-View® is coming soon for the following Shotguns. Please contact us for more information.

• Over / Under
  • Side by Side

eh? ???

How will that work?

http://www.riversideoutdoor.co.uk/semi-auto-breech-flag-pink-saf-t-plug-clay-shooting-shotgun-safety-feature-new-546-p.asp should be standard issue with every semi......

semi-auto-breech-flag-pink-saf-t-plug-cl

• 2 weeks later...