Taking fallen trees for firewood

rab61t

Hello all

Can any one advise on the taking of fallen trees on public walk ways. These trees were felled around 3 or 4 years ago also any advise on trees that have been uprooted and blown down. For Firewood

Cheers

RAB61T

Edited by rab61t

All trees are on ground owned by somebody or an authority. Therefore in my understanding the trees are theirs, and if you took them you could be done.

You say they are on public walkways, is that council owned land?. If so contact the Council and ask if you could clear them. They may be being left for natural habitat for wildlife.

Whatever you do cover your backside (OR DO IT AT NIGHT :lol::lol::lol: )

Be careful picking it up, as others have said it all belongs to somebody and it ain't worth getting nicked for it and possibly losing your shotgun ticket.

We were looking at some wood that had been cut and left on the roadside in Milton Keynes recently and it actually had notes pinned to it saying it was the property of the parks authority.

Worth trying to find out who the logs you found belong to as they ate unlikely to be collecting them if they've been left for years.

Just find out who they belong to, I did that at a local cricket club, cleared up the fallen branch from a tree then as it had become dangerous took the whole tree down for them, no charge to them for the work and a nice bit of firewood for yours truly. I've been asked to do some more branching on trees that overhang the ground and have some to clear at the football ground as well.

Bit like getting shooting permission, some effort needed to get the rewards.

theft of trees for firewood is now common, if its not yours to take its theft- seek permission or leave it be. I often leave a few dead logs that are less good for firewood as its good for the eco system in terms of habitat and I should be rather mad if someone started just taking them

You use to be able to get a licence to collect fallen wood from common land, but they are no longer being issued and those that are current will not be renewed.

I made enquiries some years ago and after being given this information, I also received a warning that they prosecute aggressively anyone found removing wood.

Its an environmental issue, as bugs and things need fallen rotting wood as part of the circle of life (they told me that as well).

Its my experience that any private landowner with "rubbish" wood, might let you have it, but if they have any "good" wood available, they have already had a knock on the door from someone bearing cash.

Most of the people that commercially handle wood round me, have ongoing deals with the private landowners to pick up and remove the "good" stuff.

You use to be able to get a licence to collect fallen wood from common land, but they are no longer being issued and those that are current will not be renewed.

I made enquiries some years ago and after being given this information, I also received a warning that they prosecute aggressively anyone found removing wood.

Its an environmental issue, as bugs and things need fallen rotting wood as part of the circle of life (they told me that as well).

Its my experience that any private landowner with "rubbish" wood, might let you have it, but if they have any "good" wood available, they have already had a knock on the door from someone bearing cash.

Most of the people that commercially handle wood round me, have ongoing deals with the private landowners to pick up and remove the "good" stuff.

A bit like the shooting permission, most of it already sewn up but no harm in asking if you see some wood that looks like it isn't being re homed. Edited by old rooster

We had a load of trees go over in Basingstoke just before Christmas in the high winds. My Uncle happened to be driving past in his camper van as the council workers who were cutting some up by the side of the road, they let him have as much as he wanted, filled the van up.

We used to have a logman that would offer to tidy up fallen branches of our land we used to let him giving him a time so we could move any animals of the land, he also used to sell them back as logs I never minded until we came back and he'd felled an oak and was trying to get it off the land as one trunk !! At least he was trying to make planks rather than just burn it!

He's not allowed back on our land now , though he still asks !

Most people don't mind if it's on there land, though some people can link them to farming subsidies so might not be too happy.

Just ask.

John

I was lucky and our shoot landlord agreed to share an oak tree with me if I dropped him half the wood. Also went up a local lane where there were 3 v large trees down after the winds. Checked with the local farmer who wanted help as he had loads of trees down so we cut all the main logs - he removed and burnt the rest with a telehandler. About 5 tons of Oak and 6 tone off the others. We live near a forest owned by the forestry commission and they apparently dont give permission to remove fallen trees but they are slowly being 'nibbled away' by passers by. If I knew who to ring I'd try them as its mostly Cherry and Beech. Still, enough in the bag for next winter ( and a bit more). Ask first as I did the farmer moaned (reasonably) that everyone else had just helped themselves so he was pleased I asked and gave permission willingly enough.

Edited by Kes

I had to laugh some time ago on some MOD land near to where I live a couple of small about 10" trunk trees blew down and after a few weeks a guy turned up with a little trailer on his car and a chain saw and started cutting it up after a bit the MOD police turned up and sent him packing in the end the MOD paid some tree fellers to cut it up and take it away its good to see that the people in charge are so thrifty with our money.

Also they do seem to like to just cut trees down and leave them to rot good for the insects and birds they say never mind keeping people worm as long as its good for the bugs.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

One of the farms I shoot on is growing willow for fuel, but I suppose it is a different thing feeding it into an industrial furnace compared to an ordinary stove.

Blackpowder

Theres a farm down my way that sells mature willow trunks for cricket bats. I was quite surprised at how much they are worth.

Back on topic-

I bagged up on wood from the roadside during the storms. I got caught red handed by the farmer on his way out spraying. Bit embarrassing but he was cool. I left it looking bang tidy as way of thanks.