Cockle picking laws?

hedd-wyn

Any cockle pickers on here that could possibly pass me some information or direct me to a link in regards to laws etc?

I know you need a license in some parts but does this apply all of the coastline in the UK?

I've recently come across a good spot but wouldn't want to breaking any laws.

Thanks

Hedd

Get your rake out mate and get cockling, I do red warf bay on Anglesey every year, pepper and white vinegar, yum yum yum,

Sorry but I can't offer any guidance on the law I've done it at the above spot for years and so had my grandfather before I was around and never had no mither,also a good spot for razor clams,yum yum yum

Happy foraging

Flynny

Get your rake out mate and get cockling, I do red warf bay on Anglesey every year, pepper and white vinegar, yum yum yum,

Sorry but I can't offer any guidance on the law I've done it at the above spot for years and so had my grandfather before I was around and never had no mither,also a good spot for razor clams,yum yum yum

Happy foraging

Flynny

Cheers Flynny

Lady at work often goes foraging to Red Warf Bay. This particular spot is fairly close to where I live so perfect really.

ATB

Hedd

You only need a licence for commercial picking, but not for your own use but there is a limit of 5 kilos per day.

Have a look at this link

.http://naturalresourceswales.gov.uk/apply-buy-report/apply-buy-grid/fishing/dee-estuary-cockle-fishery/?lang=en#.Uy81Kqh_tkg

Edited by garygreengrass

Check with your local IFCA.....(inshore fisheries dept).

In my area there has been a total ban on cockling for several years both commercial and pleasure thanks to the wandering lads from Liverpool who turned up with off road vehicles and swept the beach from end to end before it could be stopped.

Don't fall into the common trap of believing that the rules do not apply to personal consumption...they do and the penalties are expensive.

Check with your local IFCA.....(inshore fisheries dept).

In my area there has been a total ban on cockling for several years both commercial and pleasure thanks to the wandering lads from Liverpool who turned up with off road vehicles and swept the beach from end to end before it could be stopped.

Don't fall into the common trap of believing that the rules do not apply to personal consumption...they do and the penalties are expensive.

I had a feeling it wasn't as straight forward as I thought. Thanks for the heads up.