Discounted Shooting Lessons.

welshwarrior

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travelled down to collect my gun and have a Skeet specific lesson, 2hrs and 150 clays later I have a pretty complete knowledge of what I need to do to break them all so have something solid to work on. Apart from the technicalities I need to take the pressure off myself but still attack the clays, I suspect acquiring the correct state of mind will come through successful training and confidence. Well worth the 4hrs drive down and another 4 back home. The gun now feels perfect. Thanks Daf

Did a sort of 'mock comp' 75 birder last night, the regular guys kept me right but there were a couple of etiquette things I was put right on -

On the singles load both barrels, I assume to save time and reduce the time a squad it takes to shoot the round,

Still haven't got the order of 5 & 6 birds in my head.

Stand 2 round 1 I broke H bird and v.slightly chipped L bird, didn't realise and shot L bird again with second barrel so had the pair again, apparently if I did it again I'd get a warning and points deducted.

Think I'll give comps a miss until I get the non shooting stuff straight in my head which is a pity as I had been thinking of entering the 100 bird comp on Saturday.

Despite the newness and learning new stuff other than how to break clays, new range and shooting in a squad for the first time I had some very satisfactory stands in the gloom and heavy rain.

Yes load 2 for the singles to speed it up but as discussed we did so we could have a discussion after each shot as needed.

Go for the competition the ref will look after you, have a quick read of the rules but half the "very knowledgeable" experts get them wrong. But yes you must break each clay with a single shot, if you break a pair with 1 shot you repeat Upto 3 times on a peg.

Should have posted this earlier but would like to thank Daf for my lesson last Saturday at Garland's after only having my SGC for 2 weeks. I would highly recommend anyone who has been thinking about getting a lesson with Daf to go ahead, very knowledgeable and a top chap!

Learnt alot about mounting(after constant reminders) which I'm glad to say has stuck since shooting earlier the week. Hope to see you again soon once my shooting has progressed.

Many thanks again!

I know Daf and the lesson has taken me much further on than expected. Between what you taught me and getting out there and having a go I find the time I have on the second bird of the pair is gradually extending but I still have a tendency to rush both.

It's a reg comp so have been undecided about it, I suppose now is as good a time as any to make a start on the next big step.

I'd like to add to the thanks that Daf has already had. I cannot articulate the increase in my confidence levels after just a couple of hours with him. No pretentions, no stress just good coaching. The last 30 odd minutes on sporting clays put a smile on my face that lasted all day! Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Daf, you said at the fitting session that after a couple of lessons with a proper skeet coach I'd be breaking 20s, I can tell you that after tonight you were wrong :D or does 1 lesson with you count as 2?

And the wee gun now feels absolutely part of me, thankyou

Edited by Bryn12

Yeah the lesson with you gave me the knowledge but most of all the confidence that I could do it, tonight I felt the cold, ruthless, confidence on 1&7 that I used to feel shooting rifle when I was really at the top of my game, now I just have to work to get the other stands to the same level. Had a momentary lapse of concentration on the round 2, first target on 6, set up for Low wondered where it was then had an 'oh ******' moment but still managed to hit the target from High with a reflex shot. I find I'm getting more and more time on them now, even the pairs, sometimes I wonder if I've got a time for a cuppa.

Daf,

Just a message of thanks for the lesson last week at Garlands. Really enjoyable, informative and thought provoking. It was particularly interesting when you identified I was generally missing in my vertical alignment and not behind as I had believed myself.

Can’t recommend a session with you highly enough whether a novice like me or a more experienced shot who wants a bit of a tune up.

Will be in touch to book another lesson soon.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would maybe book a lesson mid to late September if that's possible ? I will pm you for details .

Cheers

PM me with dates and details.

Guy August is getting very busy with summer holidays, ideal time though to introduce kids to our sport, 410s and 28 bore are always ready with the 20 and 12s