Cotswold conundrum

I'm currently shacked up at the Four Pillars Hotel in the Cotswold Water Park for two weeks whilst doing a course for work. Will also be back in June for another two weeks

Are there any gunshops or clay shooting grounds that are worth a visit in the area to clear my head of the course material!

I'm currently shacked up at the Four Pillars Hotel in the Cotswold Water Park for two weeks whilst doing a course for work. Will also be back in June for another two weeks

Are there any gunshops or clay shooting grounds that are worth a visit in the area to clear my head of the course material!

Sure are... Hollow Fosse just north of Cirencester is a good clay ground - open Weds & Sat afternoons and Sun mornings (alternate weekends). You can also visit Barbury Castle shooting ground just south of Swindon - not cheap but good range of facilities and disciplines.

There's Wiltshire Rod & Gun just in Swindon's Old Town or Dauntsey Guns, just a 30 minute or so drive away. They stock a good range of guns, ammo and clothing.

Away from shooting, if you can get across the road from your hotel to the wakeboarding lake then that's a bit of fun when the weather picks up.

Enjoy, it's a lovely part of the world. I'm less than 10 mins up the road and if I had some spare time I'd be happy to pop along shooting with you but I haven't managed to get clay shooting since just before new year!

Www.old-downs-pursuits.Co.uk

The above is supposed to be pretty good and you could probably walk it if you are feeling energetic.

It's walkable but I wouldn't cross the road to go there. Poor set up restricted by space - traps visible from the five cages all within spitting distance of each other and gets far too crowded and I've witnessed some unsafe incidents I've witnessed there due to position of cages and proximity of shooters and queuers. If you're not hitting 45/50 out of these then there's something wrong with the gun.

Of course, this is my opinion but there are far better ones to try in the vicinity before going there.

Not sure you would need to cross the road.wouldn't you just walk up the spine road over the two roundabouts and then down to countrywide? I have never shot their myself but a few of the lads. (bakerboy,thunderbird,malkiesrow and a few others) did and said they thought it was good

Sorry, didn't mean literally play Frogger on the dual carriageway, just meant I wouldn't go there. Your directions are spot on though :good:

It's always busy when I go so totally understand that others will have a much better opinion of it than me but I'm just speaking from the five or six times I've been there and knowing what else is in the vicinity there other places I'd recommend trying ahead of this. My uncle loves the place but then it's the only ground where he can score more than 30 so it makes him feel good about his shooting :lol:

Totally respect it's each to their own but I've left my gun in the cabinet and done something else rather than gone down there.

To be honest I would always leave the gun in the cabinet rather than shooting clays for some reason I just can't get excited by it.

Nice use of frogger there made me smile.

Haha, bit of a throwback I guess.

I used to love shooting clays but haven't been since just before New Year as rifles have taken priority now.

Have a good one

Coleys is a nice clay ground and has a small shop to look around with some expensive goodies :)

I wouldn't call it that. It's pretty big. Huge range of guns, decent range of clothes, cartridges, rifle ammo and hot and cold food to boot. The clothes are fairly expensive but that would be the case considering their market.

I wouldn't call it that. It's pretty big. Huge range of guns, decent range of clothes, cartridges, rifle ammo and hot and cold food to boot. The clothes are fairly expensive but that would be the case considering their market.

I agree, it's a good place to go and see what's what and yes the mark up is higher than other places but you can't knock what they're doing for the sport over there with the PR and coaching.

They have an open day on Saturday 12th April with plenty to look at, handle and have a go with, including their 410 challenge.

Clay set up is diverse and challenging too.

Thanks for the offer but I have the weekend off so heading back to see the Mrs and children.

It's tempting though to dust off my old Masterline Challenge rod and Shakesphere Speedex!

If you're kicking your heels one evening, nip into Bibury for a shufti and perhaps a pint. ON NO ACCOUNT TAKE THE FLY ROD!