Budget night vision build

FalconFN

Not sure if this should be here or in the DIY section, but I've just finished my first NV build and I'm incredibly pleased with it, I only want it for air rifle ranges but can see clearly to more than 250 yards and it only cost £45. post-20802-0-07979600-1395698780_thumb.jpg

post-20802-0-18160100-1395698807_thumb.jpg

I just need a cheap AO scope before I can mount it properly.

thanks for looking.

Edit: I forgot to say that I posted a detailed description on the nightvision forum, and without the info on there I couldn't have made it

Edited by FalconFN

ive got a new yukon mpr if youre in the market for a recording device mate,lol,looks a good unit youve made there..DAZ

Thanks, I've decided not to bother with a DVR at all - I was looking at a sub £20 Mini C DVR from China but I only want one to give others an idea of the quality and range of the cheaper cameras, and not for trophy videos, so it isn't worth the bother. I will put my camera to the eye piece instead.

Excellent, you'll be very impressed with the quality and range you can get for not much money - in fact I've just had to drill a 15 mm hole in a scope cover to reduce the amount of IR coming into the lens so I can use it closer than 30 yards, otherwise it whites- out.

Also, just as a heads up, I've had to put in a extra switch between the battery and the voltage regulator because the battery wasn't charging properly. All sorted now and I'm giving it a quick go tonight.

Excellent, you'll be very impressed with the quality and range you can get for not much money - in fact I've just had to drill a 15 mm hole in a scope cover to reduce the amount of IR coming into the lens so I can use it closer than 30 yards, otherwise it whites- out.

Also, just as a heads up, I've had to put in a extra switch between the battery and the voltage regulator because the battery wasn't charging properly. All sorted now and I'm giving it a quick go tonight.

Superb. How did it perform then bud?

Brilliantly. There was absolutely no wind so getting close was tricky but I still had 4 chances, the first two I fluffed as I underestemated the range but the last two were spot on.

The range is incredible for such a cheap camera, and way more than I need and having the zoom torch really helps get a decent image. It was good to watch badger at 100 yards as clear as day but the best bit was spotting a set of eyes around 150 yards away, I got closer and looked again at what appeared to be a baby rabbit hunched low, I got within 40 yards and looked again but realised it was a little owl hunting for worms and bugs. I got to about 20 yards before it flew off.

The only down side was the cheapo ultrafire battery in the torch, it was super-bright early on but it faded steadily, still, I was out for nearly 3 hours and only used one so not too bad.

I may get a real basic DVR to record from it but the quality won't be that good, especially after going through windows moviemaker.

Here's a quick film taken by holding a video camera to the viewfinder - which makes it really bad quality compared to what you see in real time, but it gives an idea of range.

Sorry it's shakey, it was a bit of a balancing act trying to film and hold the NV steady.

http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/FalconFN/media/NV2_zps7506cab6.mp4.html