looking at a free lander td4. advise needed.

Reeceknight

I have 5-6000 and originally wanted a ford ranger, have spent most of my driving years in ford pick ups and a toyota 4runna. (For farm and off road use) well my road car has just been written off and I would like to settle for "one car does all" .

I won't be green laning or mud plugging but want somthing that will happily go around the tracks a the farms and stubble fields etc, but nice Togo shopping in with the missus. With this in mind a kind of like the idea of a 05/06 freelander td4 and have wanted end one since they came out, love the looks etc I find the ford ranger slightly bland inside being a work truck.

main questions is ...... Everytime I mention freelander someone pipes up and begins a rant about them! Lol now is this because the old ones was hideous? because I was under the impression the 05 td4 had a BMW engine in it and was buoy well? or is this the typical "the old ford Rs turbo's used to rust and blow up so people assume the news ones are just as bad" 90% of the td4 reviews on the interweb are very good!

could really do with advice as I only really have one chance at sorting my car before I buy my house and could do without majors car issues (as the freelander haters have had me believe that the engine will fall out at high millage and the wheels will pop off)

I had an 05 Petrol Freelander for 3 1/2 years & it was excellent - got rid when the head gasket started to go. My Mrs had a TD4 06 Freelander & had quite a few niggles with it. She's now on her second RAV4 & I have a Shogun Sport - does everything the Freelander did & more !! Perhaps worth a look...........

We had a freelander td4 2001 and wouldn't have another. New clutch and dual mass flywheel, oil leak on transfer box, new turbo, new window control cables on the back and 2 front door windows due to corrosion and snapping, rust on the bottom of the doors rear brake drum mechanism seizing stopping handbrake working, sunroof leaking. Other than that it was ok :-)

Cheers

Tom

Have one with 130K on the clock.

The only thing that no longer works is the electric mirrors. No issues with the four wheel drive.

Use it for all my shooting - pigeons/feeding/lamping. You need to be a bit careful where you try to drive ( have road tyres on it) can get grounded and struggle with deep ruts or very slippy mud.

Wish I had a Defender - next time.

Viscous coupling fails at 35000 ish miles then the tranfer box follows if not fixed apart from that good all round truck imo

funny that, mines on 112,000 and still going strong, my advice, get one, I've always owned vitara's, great 4x4's, that was until I bought my freelander 1, like everything thing in life, you'll get those for and against them, and you get good and bad freelanders, as with any car, you pay your money and take a chance

The Memsahib has a 2004 TD4 Sport (BMW engine). It was the top of the range one with full leather interior etc and has been a great car. We bought it at 4 years old for just under 6k with 65k on the clock, it had lost 16k in value in four years but I think I took advantage of the credit crunch and people offloading 4x4s. It has just reached 130k and is still a pleasure to drive, fast enough and handles well on road whilst off road it's pretty capable for a soft roader (with decent tyres very capable indeed). It has had some niggles but nothing more than I'd expect for a 10yr old car. The clutch needed replacing at 125k and an electric window cable snapped which meant the entire mechanism needed changing. Also the brake light sensor needed changing,at a cost of £15 which I changed in about 2 minutes, and the starter motor failed. It cost me £12 for starter motor refurb kit and it took me about an hour and a half to fettle. If you do get one there is plenty of information on the LR forums to help you out with maintenance and repair. If you like the look of them get one but stick to the diesel engines and later models.

Edited by byjovecarruthers

Keep £1k in reserve for when it goes wrong.

I speak from experience having had two. Rav 4 now.

Best advice for one of these especially if the VCU hasnt been done also. Saying that if you buying a house there is no chance you that £1000 will be in the bank for long :)

We had one and was a lovely car when working. When we bought it had a list of problems but were fixed by the garage we bought it from FOC after that had 12 months trouble free motoring. We had the TD4 hse and to be honest i wouldnt bother with anything else.

Hi,

I've got the auto TD4 SE on 04 plate, had it coming up to 3 years. Only issues so far is the rear window regs and last night blew the turbo hose (one on the way from ebay 8.99 !)

So far I've done just shy of 40k in the time I've had it, just coming up to 80k now !!

Cant fault it to be honest,Ive had AA breakdown and warranty on it since day one and never had to use it until last night when they patched up the turbo hose to get my 40miles back home !!

I'm looking to change it though as need something a bit bigger to pull the new horse box as it's just on the limit with the freeelander :(

Good luck

J

J.

I hope you manage the turbo hose change better than I did on mine. It looked dead easy in the manual but,the access through the front grill etc just didn't happen.

Mine is 2001,yours might be different. I found I needed 1/4" drive sockets and flexi and uv couplings.Not much space to get good swing on rachet.

They wear through prematurely on a bracket thing from constant vibration.

Good luck.

Bryan.

yes they can lack a bit of ground clearance but are still very capable off road

TD4's are good

propshafts can be an issue, takes less than an hour to change and a diy job, parts about 350 ish, if you park it on a loose surface and witness mark either side of the vcu with some chalk, then drive on full lock for a few yards and look to see if the witness marks have seperated, yes and it's ok, no and it's quite possibly seized

J.

I hope you manage the turbo hose change better than I did on mine. It looked dead easy in the manual but,the access through the front grill etc just didn't happen.

Mine is 2001,yours might be different. I found I needed 1/4" drive sockets and flexi and uv couplings.Not much space to get good swing on rachet.

They wear through prematurely on a bracket thing from constant vibration.

Good luck.

Bryan.

Parts arrived and just done it, not a nice job used long nosed mole grips to get old clip off and fitted it other way around with the new hose to make things easier!!

Seems a lot better now , must have been going for a while !!