Gun fitting in/around Gloucestershire(ish.)

Flynn

Bonus time at work, and I've been allocated around 1500 quid by SWMBO to spend on my first "decent" shotgun (cheap and cheerful Rizzini for the last year, but I'd like something a little more up market)

I'm looking at stuff second-hand and thinking that if I can buy the nicest gun I can, which mostly fits me, I can always get it professional fitted. This bring me on to my questions:

1. Any recommendation for a good fitter in or around Gloucestershire and the surrounding area. I'm aware of Ian Coleys, which is near to me, but I've seen their prices for guns so I can only assume his fitting service is equally eye-watering. Any others anyone can recommend who provide a great service for a good price. As I'm looking at driving up to 150 miles each way to find the right gun, I don't suppose stretching my legs to have it fitted by a recommended expert will be too much of a pain. Closer is better however.

2. Synthetic stocks - can they be altered? I've no idea how a stock has cast added/removed for example, but if I end up buying (for example) a synthetic stocked semi-auto, is there much than can be done with it if it does need altering?

Any and all recommendations or advice warmly welcomed.

Nigel teague isnt far and Dennis at UK gun repairs (somerset) for fitting I would book a lesson/appointment before buying (Dennis particularly )

Synth stocks usually have shims but I would say stick to wood, £12-1500 there is a huge choice from a new 525/687 to used 682 gold E/Ceasar guerini/mk38 gd5..... Have some fun trying them out

Mmmm https://www.guntrader.co.uk/mobile/gunDetail.php?NewGunID=140312133124001&skipNo=0&perPage=15&Filter%5BNewType%5D%5B%5D=Shotgun&Filter%5BNewMechanism%5D%5B%5D=Over+and+Under&Filter%5BCalibre%5D%5B%5D=12+gauge&Filter%5BMake%5D%5B%5D=Guerini%2C+Caesar&sortField=poa&sortOrder=asc

Mmmmm

https://www.guntrader.co.uk/mobile/gunDetail.php?NewGunID=130225122221001&skipNo=0&perPage=60&Filter%5BNewType%5D%5B%5D=Shotgun&Filter%5BNewMechanism%5D%5B%5D=Over+and+Under&Filter%5BCalibre%5D%5B%5D=12+gauge&Filter%5BMake%5D%5B%5D=Miroku&Filter%5BModel%5D%5B%5D=MK+38+Grade+5&sortField=poa&sortOrder=asc

What sort of shooting do you mainly do?

Edited by HDAV

Nigel teague isnt far and Dennis at UK gun repairs (somerset) for fitting I would book a lesson/appointment before buying (Dennis particularly )

Synth stocks usually have shims but I would say stick to wood, £12-1500 there is a huge choice from a new 525/687 to used 682 gold E/Ceasar guerini/mk38 gd5..... Have some fun trying them out

Mmmm https://www.guntrader.co.uk/mobile/gunDetail.php?NewGunID=140312133124001&skipNo=0&perPage=15&Filter%5BNewType%5D%5B%5D=Shotgun&Filter%5BNewMechanism%5D%5B%5D=Over+and+Under&Filter%5BCalibre%5D%5B%5D=12+gauge&Filter%5BMake%5D%5B%5D=Guerini%2C+Caesar&sortField=poa&sortOrder=asc

Mmmmm

What sort of shooting do you mainly do?

I didn't know Mr. T did gun fitting to be honest!

I've been spending the last week pouring over gunstar, guntrader, gunwatch and pretty much everything else with the word "gun" in it - up to 1500 seems to be in the sweet spot for lots of nice second hand stuff without getting too daft, which made me think "Sod it, spend the lot on the nicest gun you can find and then get it altered to suit, as she'll never find out"...

I've mostly been concentrating on Beretta and Browning, as they are so prevalent but I'm not averse to something like a Miroku or a Winchester - my slight issue with all of these is I don't know enough about the second hand market to know what's really suitable, so I stuck with the two B's.

As for my shooting, I do a little bit of everything. I've been welcomed into a small (very informal) syndicate after beating for them for a few years, so there's pheasant during the winter with some roost shooting around now, and I've also got some pigeon decoying opportunities with other members of the syndicate. I also live within walking distance of one clay ground and have a number of others well within range so I can nip out and shoot clay easily. Because of the informality of the pheasant shooting, a semi would not be out of the question, nor would something like a Cynergy but I agree with you that a nice lump of walnut always looks great, so I'd kind of restricted myself to a traditional O/U.

Edited by Flynn

Check on the fitting side but I think he does/can. Miroku have a great rep basically a browning (miroku make the browning 325/425/525/725 models for browning in their Japanese factory) MK38 is very popular for clay bashing but they do the MK60/70 for game shooting but many are 2 3/4" chambers and not steel proof which may matter. Try and find dealers with decent trial facilities coleys one of the best tbh and close.

I had my gun fitted at Coley's and thought it was good value. It's £100 for a one hour fitting session, plus you you need to factor in the cost of any alterations you may need.

As HDAV says, you can 'try before you buy' at the ground too. If I were you I would take your time trying out different guns until you find one you really like. That's the fun part.

You can get it properly fitted sometime in the future, after you have got used to the gun.

Yup - I bought my Rizzini from Coleys but the shop isn't what you'd call "competitively priced", so I assumed a similar mark-up would be applied to the gun-fit and alternation service. 100 notes doesn't sound too extravagant however, so perhaps I'm doing the place a disservice.

I presume the cost of alternation is purely down to how much needs to be changed rather than a fixed price?

As above,

Buy what you fancy, book a 1 hour lesson with Dave Beardsmore, he will deal with gun fit and then see Simon (gunsmith) for the alterations,

All done at Doveridge mate :good:

Bta

why not change the order. ..??

book the lesson telling him you want advice on suitable gun choice and fit, discuss your preferences ... buy suitable gun and if necessary get any alterations done ...

Yup - I bought my Rizzini from Coleys but the shop isn't what you'd call "competitively priced", so I assumed a similar mark-up would be applied to the gun-fit and alternation service. 100 notes doesn't sound too extravagant however, so perhaps I'm doing the place a disservice.

I presume the cost of alternation is purely down to how much needs to be changed rather than a fixed price?

It's daft but you spend £100 in fuel travelling around to look at different guns etc I would be tempted to see what they offer in PX and what they will do interms of a deal as you bought it from them.....