making purse nets

Vermin Dropper

Hi all, Happy new year.

I just made my first purse net and wondered how long it usually takes any of you guys to make them.

I improvised on all the stuff though, for the needle I used a pencil, for twine I used household string and the rings were old key rings. Wasn't very prepared but I just fancied having a go.

With the the limited material and non existant experience I have, it took me 3 hours to make a 3ft net (which I think actually looks quite good)

so I just wondered what sort of time it should take me with the proper kit and a bit of practice, :yp:

Depending on what mood I'm in: -

"Good mood" = Just fancy making nets

"Bad Mood" = need some more, but dont fancy making any

It usually takes me 30 minutes to make a net, thread the draw-cord and put a peg on. Listening to the radio, or if someone has the telly on, it takes longer, I like just going to my shed, no radio no noise.

I usually make mine with hemp. But as hemp needs to be stored when damp, I am changing to spun Nylon, what do you all think of spun nylon? I have made one from "Heavy Duty Spun Nylon - For fox nets" but when I hang it from the ring, it twists around, does this happen with lighter spun nylon?

Rabbit Hunter.

I've also tried the heavy duty green spun nylon and got twisted nets. Tried hanging them up and twisting the other way but not too much joy.

I got some purple/maroon coloured spun nylon for purse nets from a game fair and its great. The finished net sits well and just hangs straight.

I make more nets than I need because I just enjoy making things. Even decided to make a bone net needle. Too small for a whole purse net, but great to use all the same. :yp:

I can recommend the spun nylon nets (not the green shop bought type)

For those who dont know what I mean , the line is like knitting wool, slightly hairy, but far stronger , I bought a kilo spool from johnson field sports ,sheffield , about 7 yrs ago and Im still using the 50 nets I made now .

Spun nylon has the quality of hemp (it lifts easy, good antitangle properties)

yet has the rotproof quality as you would expect of a nylon net.

Without a doubt USE THEM :yp: