PRIVATE PLATES

darren m

private number plates

thinking about getting one for my daughters 21st present

do you have to put yours on retention every time you change cars or is there another way

how do you get the reg back for the car you are selling ( taking the plate from )

are they a worthy investment

anything dodgy to look out for

thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can transfer them straight from one vehicle to another. No need to put them on retention first. Don't buy from these places in autotrader. Go to DVLA website and theirs is an all inclusive price. Plus the one I wanted on reg123.com was available on DVLA too for £50 less. Bear in mind your insurance can charge upto £25 admin fee to change the Reg on the documents!!

Movement between cars is simple, either transfer from vehicle to vehicle if you can, as this is cheapest option.

Retention if you sell car with plate on it before new car has been bought.

As mentioned above, check with your Insurance company as they can charge £30+ for a policy change.

Investment wise , you're not going to get rich . Buying from DVLA Direct or from one of their Auctions can be a cheaper route.

I bought 2 Prefix plates bought in 1990 and 2000, both 'match' paid no more than £400 for both , now worth as a matching pair aprox £3-4k. But I must add, they're only worth what someone is prepared to pay for them.

Also a 2 letter plate, bought in early 90's , looks nice on a car , Been on retention for last 10yrs+ . You can retain a plate easily either yearly or in block years. DVLA dont discount for multi years but it reduces the chance of missing its renewal and a chance of losing the plate

Personally Im not fussed about Personal plates now , But would make a smashin' 21st pressie for a daughter / sons car .

What makes me chuckle are plates that people have bought , move and alter the text to spell names. daft imo

Edited by RedRobin

Best plate I've seen was "69 BJ" was on a Ferrari Scudiera convertible. I quick check online shows it is now on a Lamborghini Gallardo. Obviosly felt like a change. *******.

LOL , I remember seeing at a World Super Bike meeting PEN IS on a Porsche ......

:good:

I got a £11k number plate with the car i bought.The previous owner wanted it back shame i had car registered in my name and he has no claim to it.RESULT

Edited by Guest

my previous boss had several private plates, all with his initials and then whatever number or letter combination. He usually bought the car that the plate was on and then took the plate off.

The only one he cannot get the plate off, is a Ford Anglia, DVLA won't let him :lol:

unless the plate has been issued then DVLA is always cheapest option as mentioned before includes vat and transfer fees all the other companies charge that on top

i bought and sold fair few plates in past and had few from auctions and few from new releases

my fav ive seen was in 90's in london a red 911 turbo conv boobs but cant remember the actual plate spelling

Edited by maxus77