PRIVATE PLATES

darren m

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

2014-06-12%2020.14.35.jpg

My plate was bought for me over 10 years ago by my parents before I could even drive as plate back then where cheaper. It was £500 then and I have recently had it valued at £1500

I'd never get rid of it because its me and who I am and everyone who knows me knows my private plate!

In about 1972 my Dad bought a Hillman Minx with the reg' PRM 1. He didn't realise it at the time but it was worth more than the car. He eventually sold the plate to a bloke with an Austin of some kind (don't know how much for) with the reg' PRM 1G if I recall. I'm not really interested in private plates but I sometimes wonder how much it would be worth now.

I sold my Fathers plates recently, that he got free from the DVLA in 1950 something, just his initials B!% 1. By resale and auction sites I was advised to put a reserve of £25,000 on them, so I did.

After 9 months, the nearest offer we had was for £10,000. Not bad, but certainly nowhere near the expected, but £10,000 is still exactly that! As said somewhere already, the value in cherished plates, like so much else, is in the eye of the beholder!

I saw BEG 4 1T on a Ferrari, which I think was arrogance gone too far. I'd be careful where I parked it with that on a car.

In North London in about 1986 I saw both KKK 1 and 1 KKK on different occasions within a few months of each other. Strangely enough both cars were white.

Tom