Ban on rape seed dressing

Harnser

Talking to my farmer friend today and he told me that there will be a ban for two years starting next year on the chemical that they dress the rape seed with . This chemical is supposed to kill bees and government want to have a trial with a ban to see if it makes any difference .

Apparently this seed dressing kills off a certain beetle that kills off the seed . My friend says that many farmers will be reluctant to grow rape without this chemically dressed seed . May be we won't see so much rape next year . My farmer friend has not made up his mind yet as to how much rape he will grow next year if any . Perhaps he will go back to the good old days when he grew lots of peas . Just thought some of you would be interested in this . Harness.

We are still planting rape , but there is going to have to be more spraying !

Neonicotinoids have been banned in France for 2 years and the bees are no better for it . The ban is still being challenged in the courts but I fear it will be the end of this seed dressing without an appropriate replacement as yet

Neonicotinoids.

Talking to my farmer friend today and he told me that there will be a ban for two years starting next year on the chemical that they dress the rape seed with . This chemical is supposed to kill bees and government want to have a trial with a ban to see if it makes any difference .
Apparently this seed dressing kills off a certain beetle that kills off the seed . My friend says that many farmers will be reluctant to grow rape without this chemically dressed seed . May be we won't see so much rape next year . My farmer friend has not made up his mind yet as to how much rape he will grow next year if any . Perhaps he will go back to the good old days when he grew lots of peas . Just thought some of you would be interested in this . Harness.

If most farmers are relluctant to grow it as you suggest then, some farmers somewhere will take the risk and pay the spraying costs and grow acres of the stuff as the price of the crop will increase dramatically paying more return and covering all costs.

Edit for spelling

Edited by Shooting2

Well the rape we planted this year had the chemical on it but to a lesser degree and FLEE BEETLE hit it bad. 50 % of the field is bare and what is left is stunted and very poor. Not sure what next year will be but if prices are good due to the scarcity of it then still may be worth while......

Well the rape we planted this year had the chemical on it but to a lesser degree and FLEE BEETLE hit it bad. 50 % of the field is bare and what is left is stunted and very poor. Not sure what next year will be but if prices are good due to the scarcity of it then still may be worth while......

That's bad news for farmers but I hope it does however prove that neonicotinoids are not only having a major impact of bees but on other wildlife too. As soon as it's proven, money will be invested to look at alternatives that both help the crop from pests but also have the least impact on other wildlife