Urika v Urika 2 ?

MrPea

Hi,..I'm preparing to get back to Pigeon shooting, and looking at the potential of a Urika or Urika 2 synthetic to take over from an oldside by side.

The feedback from previous posts has been good about them both, but wondered about the differences in handling and recoil with the kick off 2 in the butt for example. .. .

If anyone can add any info from experience etc.,it would be very much appreciated.

Edited by MrPea

The only problem with the synthetic and cammo models is their weight. I have the field models in 12 and 20 bores and they are nearly a pound lighter than the sporter/synthetic variations. That can make a big difference if you have to carry the gun any distance. I have the Urika 1's and have had no problems whatsoever. The 12 bore has had thousands of rounds through it and has remained faultless. The differences between the Urika 1 and the Urika 2, as far as I am aware is mainly the piston design. On the model 2 the piston has sharpened edges,or teeth, which are supposed to keep the piston housing, on the barrel, cleaner. I am led to believe that the later piston is available to buy and will fit straight on to the Urika 1. I do not think I will bother as the original seems to work well enough for me. My 12 bore version will handle all cartridges from 21 grams upwards, although it does not like subsonics. I have a Teague 3/8th extended choke fitted and it stays in. I use it for pigeon shooting and some Instruction work and to date it has been very reliable.

My friend has the urika 1 synthetic. Again has had many thousands of carts through it wit no problems. I have the AL391 teknys model and also an A400 Xtreme. No problems from mine either, although it's still early days with the A400. I don't think you'll go far wrong with either a urika 1 or urika 2. I'd buy one without hesitation. The kick-off on the A400 seems to work well, makes heavy loads comfortable enough.

I have the Urika 2 and my shooting buddy has the Urika 1 . The only visible difference is that the beretta logo under the fore end is in lower case on the 1 and is in upper case on the 2 . Both have wooden stocks and the 2 has better grain and does look very nice . The kick off system on the 2 definitely makes for a smoother shooting gun . The auto clean gas piston works very well and there is never any muck in the piston when cleaned . Both guns have been used extensively without any problems what so ever. They will shoot any size load and cartridge length up to 3inch magnum. Yes they cost more money than your run of the mill self loader but you do get superb reliability. Harnser.

I've just traded a Urika 2 which I bough new 4 years ago in that Time I Reakon it had 15000 shells through it without any problems at all the only jams I had were with my home loaded 3" loads realy great gun but I got sick of hunting empties in brambles and nettles and the third frustration shot can make a pigeon a little expensive sometimes still got the xtrema wich I'll never part with though I'd say the Urika2 is the best pigeon auto out there for the money sat with a mate who's had the maxus which fell to pieces the hatstand wich jammed every other shot he's now got a Versamax which feels cheaply made and occasionally misfires and has slashed his finger on the cartridge carrier I'm beretta all the way !! Saying that though I've just bought one of the new browning 525 sporters as my pigeon gun hope you enjoy the Urika they are great guns