walking off use lead.

andy_s

My 17 month old lab will walk nicely on the lead, most of the time, but once I let him off the lead he goes too far in front of me. Sometimes 50 or 60 metres in front of me until I call him back and then gradually gains the distance from me again.

I've tried constantly changing directions so he has to catch up with me which works at the time but he doesn't seem to stick to this the next time we go out. Any suggestions please people? Thanks..........Andy.

Don't remove the lead, place the lead over his back whilst walking stop give the sit command stay whilst you walk on, if the dog moves take him back to the same spot and be firm not harsh start again, don't walk to far ahead call him into you, don't over fuss him let him keep his focus on you and not the other way round.

Dogs are clever, he knows where your heading if your following hedge rows, paths or roads the dog knows your heading that way and that if he walks in front he'll have more time to do as he wants.

Walk him very slowly every time he steps in front give your displeasure command stop and pull him back to heel you can start this on the lead and even just drop the lead behind him. Then progress off the lead

Heel on lead and heel off lead to a dog is a different thing. As suggested one step at a time the first is the lead on but draped along his back without you attached (try this along a fence line). Heeling sticks re useful for position as are treats (I bet he will go for treats despite what you say things like smelly cheese and boiled liver are far better than crackers and the like). Personally I like the dog to walk thigh to thigh not wrapped around by leg or following behind for individual reasons, though its far easier to train to the conventional heel though as the dog has visual reference to its owner.

Thanks for all the replies. He generally walks nicely whilst on the lead, although sometimes needs reminding of this. Is comes when I let him off the lead. I tried leaving his lead on and placing it over his back as suggested but he usually gets the lead in his mouth and treats it as a game.