Nigel Farage

pavman

I don't get where people think that Nigel Farage is a working class lad - 'one of us'. He isn't.

He was Public School educated. He was a commodities trader (not a 'respectable' stockbroker as some think), a street brawling, screaming and shouting, open outcry trader and a bully. He may have mellowed a bit has he got older but his excellence in face to face debate comes from the face to face confrontation on the LIFFE floor (as it was). (the type that KW hates so much)

I am not saying that he is better or worse than the others but he is as much in this game for his own good and not for the good of the country. Unfortunately politics corrupts everyone regardless of background.

Surprised that you have not had rage from the UKIP heavies over this very accurate assessment - you know better than most about the financial sector [and I have not always seen eye to eye with you -eg Stephen Hester ex RBS boss but he was a dream by comparison with his successor, Ross McEwan]

On Farage, your pen portrait is spot on - he is exactly as you describe him.... Public school educated - well yes, I know some good guys who went to Dulwich but it is not exactly in the premier league or first division, particularly not in the late 1970s when money rather than ability was the king at that level - many Grammar Schools were far, far better.

Anyway, it was not enough to enable Nigel to head to University and complete a tertiary education afterwards - enough said.

Thanks for highlighting his less than distinguished academic career, after which he became to all intents and purposes what we see now - a yob!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying that he is better or worse than the others but he is as much in this game for his own good and not for the good of the country. Unfortunately politics corrupts everyone regardless of background.

Why would you leave a lucrative career as a city trader to lead an obscure party on the fringes of politics if you were in it for yourself? Seems a funny way to set about feathering your nest to me. I wouldn't. I'd tell British democracy and Europe both to stuff it and carry on regardless banking the cheques until the EU Commission shut down the City of London then I'd relocate to Zurich and my second home on the shores of Lake Geneva which I would have had the foresight to buy some years before.

Or possibly up-state New York if the earning potential of a middle class also-ran who failed to distinguish himself at grammar school didn't run to Lake Geneva.

He excelled at sport, 'but nothing else' apparently. He admits to being middle class, hates being told what to do, knows he is despised by all those around him in the EU, and thrives on it. His speech at the Spectator dinner where he received an award was priceless. He is passionate in his beliefs of this country and the people who inhabit it, and isn't afraid of confrontation when faced with those who attempt to belittle him out of fear. He doubts he will ever be PM, and as far as I know has no interest in the role; he simply wants what is best for the country and its people. He may not see where the ball ends up, but he set it rolling. He is the man for me.

Public school educated - well yes, I know some good guys who went to Dulwich but it is not exactly in the premier league or first division, particularly not in the late 1970s when money rather than ability was the king at that level - many Grammar Schools were far, far better.

Ah, public school....You gotta love it eh?

Perhaps the fact that Farage DIDN'T go to Eton and on to Oxbridge is what separates him from the majority of our current 'leaders'?

Maybe, just maybe that's exactly why he is garnering the support of so many people?

I'm surprised the front bench 'Eton Club' haven't worked it out for themselves yet...maybe they're not quite so clever after all?

You're right about grammar schools though, we have a couple of very good one's here in my part of Essex. No white stiletto's or fake tans there I can assure you.

Thankfully 'King Nige' wants to bring back grammar schools. A position I'm sure you would support?

I don't get where people think that Nigel Farage is a working class lad - 'one of us'. He isn't.

He was Public School educated. He was a commodities trader (not a 'respectable' stockbroker as some think), a street brawling, screaming and shouting, open outcry trader and a bully. He may have mellowed a bit has he got older but his excellence in face to face debate comes from the face to face confrontation on the LIFFE floor (as it was). (the type that KW hates so much)

Excellent post. If i may add, UKIP is trading on one thing, and one thing only. Is trying to appeal to the anti European sentiment of people who perhaps still live under the illusion that there is a vast empire out there, of which they are somehow the 'masters'. The 'arguments' ukip makes in support of their anti European agenda are farcical and appeal on the sentiment rather than to reason. They are a small party, with no vision for the country other than 'get out of Europe' (at a huge cost, financial, social etc may I add). Where is their economic policy other than 'kick Europeans out of the country so the British Joe public can find work easier (failing to address the issue of the existence of a social, economic and educational underclass in this country who do not want to work, are unskilled, unwilling and lazy). What is their vision for the NHS? What about Education? All they seem to care about is some empty rhetoric about Brussels (which, I agree starts to turn into something I am not very fond of) rather than fighting to reform the EU (if this is what they feel is necessary). I strongly believe that Britain outside the EU will be nothing but a small island that produces a few very specialized commodities (and certainly not enough of them) and relies extremely heavily on Europe and others for almost everything apart from lambs (but then again the British public does not like the taste of lamb that much)...

Edited by Psyxologos

Nice jackets though.

Excellent post. If i may add, UKIP is trading on one thing, and one thing only. Is trying to appeal to the anti European sentiment of people who perhaps still live under the illusion that there is a vast empire out there, of which they are somehow the 'masters'. The 'arguments' ukip makes in support of their anti European agenda are farcical and appeal on the sentiment rather than to reason. They are a small party, with no vision for the country other than 'get out of Europe' (at a huge cost, financial, social etc may I add). Where is their economic policy other than 'kick Europeans out of the country so the British Joe public can find work easier (failing to address the issue of the existence of a social, economic and educational underclass in this country who do not want to work, are unskilled, unwilling and lazy). What is their vision for the NHS? What about Education? All they seem to care about is some empty rhetoric about Brussels (which, I agree starts to turn into something I am not very fond of) rather than fighting to reform the EU (if this is what they feel is necessary). I strongly believe that Britain outside the EU will be nothing but a small island that produces a few very specialized commodities (and certainly not enough of them) and relies extremely heavily on Europe and others for almost everything apart from lambs (but then again the British public does not like the taste of lamb that much)...

Sounds to me like you've been briefed by Clegg's spin doctors. Your arguments are exactly the same.

The same arguments that were pulled to pieces by 'King Nige' over the last two debates.

Perhaps you could enlighten us all as to how the NHS has thrived under mainstream parties? If, indeed there is a social economic and educational underclass in the country as you suggest, maybe you could tell us who's fault that is? It sure as hell isn't UKIP's is it? Which parties have overseen, indeed encouraged the growth of this underclass?

On a more personal note, I believe, (and I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong), that you are of Greek descent? How do you feel the Eu has benefited your country?

I look forward to your reply. :good:

Sounds to me like you've been briefed by Clegg's spin doctors. Your arguments are exactly the same.

The same arguments that were pulled to pieces by 'King Nige' over the last two debates.

Perhaps you could enlighten us all as to how the NHS has thrived under mainstream parties? If, indeed there is a social economic and educational underclass in the country as you suggest, maybe you could tell us who's fault that is? It sure as hell isn't UKIP's is it? Which parties have overseen, indeed encouraged the growth of this underclass?

On a more personal note, I believe, (and I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong), that you are of Greek descent? How do you feel the Eu has benefited your country?

I look forward to your reply. :good:

:good:

If i may add, UKIP is trading on one thing, and one thing only. Is trying to appeal to the anti European sentiment of people who perhaps still live under the illusion that there is a vast empire out there, of which they are somehow the 'masters'. The 'arguments' ukip makes in support of their anti European agenda are farcical and appeal on the sentiment rather than to reason. They are a small party, with no vision for the country other than 'get out of Europe' (at a huge cost, financial, social etc may I add). Where is their economic policy other than 'kick Europeans out of the country so the British Joe public can find work easier (failing to address the issue of the existence of a social, economic and educational underclass in this country who do not want to work, are unskilled, unwilling and lazy). What is their vision for the NHS? What about Education? All they seem to care about is some empty rhetoric about Brussels (which, I agree starts to turn into something I am not very fond of) rather than fighting to reform the EU (if this is what they feel is necessary). I strongly believe that Britain outside the EU will be nothing but a small island that produces a few very specialized commodities (and certainly not enough of them) and relies extremely heavily on Europe and others for almost everything apart from lambs (but then again the British public does not like the taste of lamb that much)...

I couldn't agree more with Poontangs response to this post. The above has missed the point entirely...deliberately? Wheteher you endorse Farage and UKIP or not, this post suggests to me you haven't actually watched any of the debates nor the programme about Farage. Amongst other things UKIP don't want 'to reform the EU' ; why would they? I can't think of anything less worthwhile.

Pleasant enough.

I saw him once (summer 2012), whilst having a ciggie outside of the City building I worked in. He was walking to Monument tube station in Fish Street Hill (on his own), with the brim of his hat pulled, and looking at the floor trying not to attract attention. He passed within a couple of feet of me.

'Good morning Nigel, keep up the good work' to which he stopped, held out his hand and said 'Thank you , I shall', and sauntered off to the station. He didn't have to.

Boris is pleasant too, seen him on one of his bikes a few times

I'd be interested to hear how anybody else who has spoken to the guy face to face found him?

Edited by Penelope

1) We have as much trading rights with the EU as Mexico, I wonder how much Mexico pays into the EU?

2) Huge cost? If we stopped giving money to the EU we would have much much more revenue in the Exchequer, we put far more in than we get out!

3) The surplus will help pay for the NHS and benefits, maybe not to the extent necessary, but it would help with what is needed.

This is a classic case of the wish being father of the thought.

If Ukip were a bunch of decayed Colonel Blimp imperialists the party would not be advocating the pressing need for Britain to trade openly in the global market, freed from the straitjacket of EU protectionism. It is the insular, diminishing, protectionist EU which represents dead imperialism from a past age. It is the EU and its enthusiasts who are inward looking. Ukip wants Britain to look beyond the EU to the rest of the world and trade conducted on equal terms. Trade with the EU makes up only 10% of Britain's GDP - and that figure is declining. 95% of British firms do not trade with the EU at all yet EU regulation effects 100% of our economy. Ukip does not seek isolation from the rest of the world. Quite the reverse. Britain is already isolated by our EU membership. We are forbidden to form bilateral trade agreements with other nations. All our trade relations are negotiated en-bloc and their terms dictated by the EU.

The arguments made against the EU are precisely the opposite of what you suggest. They appeal to reason rather than sentiment. There is no reason - economic, democratic, diplomatic, strategic or otherwise - to keep Britain locked into a corrupt, autocratic, protectionist and incompetently administered 1950s political vanity project whose share of global trade is in terminal decline when the rest of the world is travelling in the opposite direction, other than post-war political paranoia, weak, self-interested leadership and fear of change.

Ukip has a full domestic manifesto including measures to address the educational and inspirational decline of the working poor; measures to de-bureaucratise and democratise the NHS; build realistic energy security based on technology that works and benefits the economy and ordinary citizens rather than politicians and overseas energy companies. Ukip wants Britain to control her own borders. This does not mean sealing them up, it means a sovereign British Parliament, accountable to the British people and no other, deciding who enters our country, how many and why. Which is how everyone else in the world does it.

The EU cannot be reformed. It has been designed with a specific end in view and structured in such a way that precludes reform. It does not need reforming; it needs to be calmly and democratically dismantled.

1) We have as much trading rights with the EU as Mexico, I wonder how much Mexico pays into the EU?

2) Huge cost? If we stopped giving money to the EU we would have much much more revenue in the Exchequer, we put far more in than we get out!

3) The surplus will help pay for the NHS and benefits, maybe not to the extent necessary, but it would help with what is needed.

4) We could control our borders and get to grips with immigration levels.

5) By controlling the level of immigration, as all other non EU countries do, we can assure that those coming here really are of value to OUR country.

6) NHS and education spending would be reduced as less people who have never paid in to the pot were taking out.

7) We would be able to negotiate our own trade deals globally (unless for some imaginary reason we've lost the ability to do that??) unfettered by EU regulation.

There is nothing to suggest that our trading relationships with other EU countries and non EU countries would be adversely affected. Nothing in EU legislation forces any of the member states to buy or sell anything to the others after all so all current trade is done as the trading partners feel is most beneficial.

The smoke and mirrors campaign around staying in the increasingly overbearing EU is starting to be seen for just what it is, thank goodness!

As far as the "net value" to us of the current immigration system is concerned it can't be taking into account the true costs to our infrastructure, merely using the figures of potential revenue raised by taxation of those who are working is oversimplifying the equation. Healthcare, education, housing costs etc. need to be considered as does the reality of where the money being earned is actually going to. I don't believe that foreign workers living ten to a two bedroom house are looking to spend much of their income in the UK, they are sending it back or saving for a future living back where they originated from. Many of those interviewed have said just that.

If we pull out of the EU I can see other member states doing likewise shortly afterwards.

UK INDIPENDANCE PARTY - There is a clue in the name somewhere. What else would you expect us to 'bang' on about.

We want out of The European State that is in the making. All the 'brains' will still be in Britain to sort out the problems that many of you think will follow the withdrawal. They will be much smaller than you think. (The problems not the brains)!

Big difference is we will be able to do what is best for us.

Would anyone willingly stay in any organisation that can't balance its books and can find no one willing to audit the accounts and sign them as being satisfactory.

We have got ourselves into a farcical situation and it is time to call a stop to it.

Edited by Grandalf

This is a classic case of the wish being father of the thought.

If Ukip were a bunch of decayed Colonel Blimp imperialists the party would not be advocating the pressing need for Britain to trade openly in the global market, freed from the straitjacket of EU protectionism. It is the insular, diminishing, protectionist EU which represents dead imperialism from a past age. It is the EU and its enthusiasts who are inward looking. Ukip wants Britain to look beyond the EU to the rest of the world and trade conducted on equal terms. Trade with the EU makes up only 10% of Britain's GDP - and that figure is declining. 95% of British firms do not trade with the EU at all yet EU regulation effects 100% of our economy. Ukip does not seek isolation from the rest of the world. Quite the reverse. Britain is already isolated by our EU membership. We are forbidden to form bilateral trade agreements with other nations. All our trade relations are negotiated en-bloc and their terms dictated by the EU.

The arguments made against the EU are precisely the opposite of what you suggest. They appeal to reason rather than sentiment. There is no reason - economic, democratic, diplomatic, strategic or otherwise - to keep Britain locked into a corrupt, autocratic, protectionist and incompetently administered 1950s political vanity project whose share of global trade is in terminal decline when the rest of the world is travelling in the opposite direction, other than post-war political paranoia, weak, self-interested leadership and fear of change.

Ukip has a full domestic manifesto including measures to address the educational and inspirational decline of the working poor; measures to de-bureaucratise and democratise the NHS; build realistic energy security based on technology that works and benefits the economy and ordinary citizens rather than politicians and overseas energy companies. Ukip wants Britain to control her own borders. This does not mean sealing them up, it means a sovereign British Parliament, accountable to the British people and no other, deciding who enters our country, how many and why. Which is how everyone else in the world does it.

The EU cannot be reformed. It has been designed with a specific end in view and structured in such a way that precludes reform. It does not need reforming; it needs to be calmly and democratically dismantled.

+1

OK but then compare the pump price for diesel in EU countries

Belgium €1.43

France €1.29

Ireland €1.46

Luxembourg €1.18

UK €1.63 [[£1.34]

Price comparisons are meaningless - just pick out the one that suits your argument.....

Downloading music tracks is not exactly one of life's essentials!

it was intended as a generic reference to the fact that most things cost more here than elsewhere despite the fact tricky Nicky claims we have a massive advantage being in the big club. I don't see the same competitive advantage as they do in the USA perhaps to make it simple for you I should have used the price of cartridges and please don't tell me they are cheaper here as my father in law lives in Atlanta and pays half what we do for a box of 25!

Edited by pavman

You can say what you like about farage but he does make a mean flash set post mix.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Wasted on your typical UKIP voter Rob...besides they are a French company and one would possibly buy CEMEX don't you know, just to keep the blighters out. :lol:

Hopefully Nige will see first hand the efficiency of the product especially if he ostracises the Italian and Sicilians :lol:

Edited by Fisherman Mike

When we joined the Common Market - as it was then - it was all about improving trade and having free movement of imports / exports.

Over a period of time the EU has expanded into making policies / laws which we are bound by. I don't think that was ever the original intention and the sooner we get out the better. We seem to have been mugged into subsidising the rest of Europe, whilst the NHS struggles along, fewer Policemen on the street etc.

When we joined the Common Market - as it was then - it was all about improving trade and having free movement of imports / exports.

Over a period of time the EU has expanded into making policies / laws which we are bound by. I don't think that was ever the original intention and the sooner we get out the better. We seem to have been mugged into subsidising the rest of Europe, whilst the NHS struggles along, fewer Policemen on the street etc.

I agree with you, except I think a European superstate was precisely the original intention. A United State of Europe was the primary objective for the architects of the European "project" in the 1950's. That intention was spelt out in the Treaty of Rome. The Common market people thought they were voting for was never on offer. Unfortunately, people didn't have the internet in the 1970's. They couldn't check what they were being asked to vote on. They relied on their elected representatives to tell them the truth and the full truth. But they did not tell the truth. They lied. And they're still lying now.

When politicians lie to the people who employ them, it is not because those people are too stupid to understand the facts, it is because they will understand them only too well.

Edited by Gimlet