GDK Automatic Clay Trap

mckee

We had 3 at our club

2 we bought second hand

1 we bought new

Chinese made, very cheap materials and VERY flimsy

We sold the 2 secondhand ones as a package (buy 1 and get 1 for spares)

And returned the new one back to GDK as unfit for purpose, they kicked up a bit of a fuss but I told them if I didn't get a refund then I would put it in the hands of the C card company,

They paid up as we had a list of faults

Personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole,

Save a bit more and buy something better

We now use promatic

:shaun:

Has anyone night a GDK Automatic Clay Trap from Ebay or know if they are any good? Not really looking to spend a fortune, and they look good enough.

Thanks

Please be careful, you'll blow your wad on very, very inferior equipment with these traps. They have their place cuz they are affordable but not for anything akin to serious shooting or practice. I am speaking from experience, our club bought one of the double arm auto traps, it is so bad that we don't even use it, this trap was bought about three months ago, from ebay, cost about £600 with the trolley and radio release facility. this thing is incapable of throwing even one clay at anything like a decent pace or distance and the radio release works at modest distances. We are stuck with it, £600 down and looking to buy again. There are three makes that I can vouch for, Promatic, Laporte and Bowman. Spend your money on a second hand trap by one of these makers, you'll have something at the end of it.

Please be careful, you'll blow your wad on very, very inferior equipment with these traps. They have their place cuz they are affordable but not for anything akin to serious shooting or practice. I am speaking from experience, our club bought one of the double arm auto traps, it is so bad that we don't even use it, this trap was bought about three months ago, from ebay, cost about £600 with the trolley and radio release facility. this thing is incapable of throwing even one clay at anything like a decent pace or distance and the radio release works at modest distances. We are stuck with it, £600 down and looking to buy again. There are three makes that I can vouch for, Promatic, Laporte and Bowman. Spend your money on a second hand trap by one of these makers, you'll have something at the end of it.

That's the one we bought from GDK

If yours is less than 12 months old then return it to them (I take it that's who you bought it off as they sell a lot on eBay)

Tell them it's unfit for purpose and you want your money back, that's what we did

That's the one we bought from GDK

If yours is less than 12 months old then return it to them (I take it that's who you bought it off as they sell a lot on eBay)

Tell them it's unfit for purpose and you want your money back, that's what we did

One of the other lads bought it from ebay on behalf of the club, the worrying thing is he is not a frequent vistor to the club and he thinks he has spent the money well. The lads who normally setup and service the other traps are giving it a wide berth, they are of the opinion that if you touch it, then it's yours to work on for the rest of your life. When it is elevated even slightly the clay on the right side falls off the arm, that moustache hanging down which is supposed to hold the clay just doesn't do the job. The first time we tried it we put a full box of clays through it, with the malfunctioning we couldn't get three shooters to complete the stand and eventually give up.

One of the other lads bought it from ebay on behalf of the club, the worrying thing is he is not a frequent vistor to the club and he thinks he has spent the money well. The lads who normally setup and service the other traps are giving it a wide berth, they are of the opinion that if you touch it, then it's yours to work on for the rest of your life. When it is elevated even slightly the clay on the right side falls off the arm, that moustache hanging down which is supposed to hold the clay just doesn't do the job. The first time we tried it we put a full box of clays through it, with the malfunctioning we couldn't get three shooters to complete the stand and eventually give up.

I was the same,

I sort of cajouled our club into buying it as it seemed a good price,

We never got it to run properly to the point one of the lower bearings fell out,

GDK didnt want to take it back but it was bought on a Credit Card and I spoke to them before contacting GDK, and they said if it isnt fit for purpose tell them, and mention you have spoken to us

Got the money returned

you must have a receipt?, and they have a 12 month warranty

they are rubbish cheep nasty, badly constructed. the one we have our our clay club is always breaking down. it turns out in the one we have it has a relay unit in it for trigger and load of trap motor and the trigger electronics are a mod to a standard relay and the circuitry has no fuse protection. so if the trap stalls it takes out this relay unit and you have to go back to the makers for replacement which costs a small fortune. we have got through 6 to date, club not gonna buy any more.

i even contacted makers on behalf of club to get circuit diagram to i could add fuse protection, got no reply after numerous emails and calls

Edited by djgeoff

they are rubbish cheep nasty, badly constructed. the one we have our our clay club is always breaking down. it turns out in the one we have it has a relay unit in it for trigger and load of trap motor and the trigger electronics are a mod to a standard relay and the circuitry has no fuse protection. so if the trap stalls it takes out this relay unit and you have to go back to the makers for replacement which costs a small fortune. we have got through 6 to date, club not gonna buy any more.

i even contacted makers on behalf of club to get circuit diagram to i could add fuse protection, got no reply after numerous emails and calls

if you phone GDK you will get little response, you need to phone their technical guy on 07714082635 (can't remember his name) I found him quite helpful although my opinion of the GDK traps remain the same.