Cash deposited in error- What would you do

keg

£52,000 turns up unexpectedly in your bank account for no reason. Would you:-

a) Ring the bank and query this.

b) Keep it and see if the bank contacts you.

c) Spend 9k of it, put the rest in an account and hope no one notices.

d) None of the above

http://www.easybranches.eu/european-news/1610486.html

The good news is your family come out in support of you.

52K.........they will come at you so option A is the way to go. Having said that she spent 9 grand, and did not get locked up so she is lucky, they will get the 40 odd grand back. After all councillors do need funding for their fact finding tours to the Seychelles and other places of trade interest :whistling::whistling:

Interestingly enough, in the reports issued yesterday, she even spoke to the bank and got their advice on how best to invest the money - and did so! Sad fact is she never once asked the bank to check the payee if the money was rightly hers? Not sure if there was a lot of honesty going on here - me - I'd be right on to the bank wanting to know who the payee was and then onto the payee asking them to confirm if this payment was correct. No point in walking any deeper into Sh***than the soles of your wellies eh? I think most folks get caught one way or another with mis payments like this. Bottom line is it isn't yours.

Lovely thought though if someone did mean to put money like that into your account eh? :)

Pushkin B)

You've got to wonder how in these supposedly cash strapped times for local councils they could transfer £52,000 into someones account "in error" without realising it? Sounds as though they only just stopped another hefty amount going in?

If it had been a company or individuals account the money had come from would she have gone to court given the relatively small amount unrecovered?

Bang on about the councillors Sha Bu Le.

My brother had a huge amount of family tax credits paid, way over what he had claimed for. When he looked at it, he knew that they had just taken his wife's income and not his into account, rang the relevant dept and was told that no, it was right. He argued until he was blue in the face but they insisted they were right.

Sure enough, the following year they came back to him. Sensibly, he had saved the money.

Bang on about the councillors Sha Bu Le.

My brother had a huge amount of family tax credits paid, way over what he had claimed for. When he looked at it, he knew that they had just taken his wife's income and not his into account, rang the relevant dept and was told that no, it was right. He argued until he was blue in the face but they insisted they were right.

Sure enough, the following year they came back to him. Sensibly, he had saved the money.

Might have been better keeping recordings of his phone conversations with then then spending the money ;)

Many moons ago,a friend of mine was overpaid by £2000 in his wages.I told him he needed to see the company accountant ASAP and that he shouldnt touch the £2k because it wasnt his.He prompty ignored my advice and spent the whole lot on car stereo stuff later that day.

Needless to say,both his bank and employer realised their mistake few days later and wanted their money back.He very nearly lost his job and the bank wanted to get the Police involved.

That's lenient. A classmate of my cousin had that happen to him. Accidental deposit of $70,000. He blew through $36,000 of it before the bank caught on. 18 months in prison and has to repay plus court costs and legal fees. Not to mention life seriously set off track because he has to live with a felony conviction for the rest of his life.

I would suggest that you invest it in a deposit account with the best interest available, provided it is accessible for immediate withdraw, you

are not responsible for the deposit and consequently have no obligation to inform any 3rd party of their mistake, you will be entitled to any interest accrued.