Self Loading Rifles (SLR)

wymberley

Had an interesting chat this morning with a shooter I don't know and this Post is as a result.

There's no hidden agenda, not a trick question so please take it at face value:

What would you consider the minimum action/movement on the part of the centrefire rifle shooter to be in order to be able to take the next shot following the previous one to remain within UK law regarding SLRs?

Edited by wymberley

Found it difficult to word the question clearly so have amended it. Naturally, Brad's answer does not reflect the question.

Unlock bolt, open bolt, close bolt and lock bolt. Four movements - standard really.

Browning straight pull : Open bolt and close bolt - we're now down to two.

Two to beat then.

Thumb release rifles are not far off semi auto, only shot one once but I got a fair rate of fire going

I think I've seen that and would agree it's basically a slr that holds open after each shot press a button with the right thumb releases the work parts forward to chamber the next round. I would have thought they are a grey area here.

Thumb release rifles are not far off semi auto, only shot one once but I got a fair rate of fire going

I think I've seen that and would agree it's basically a slr that holds open after each shot press a button with the right thumb releases the work parts forward to chamber the next round. I would have thought they are a grey area here.

Well, that didn't take long!. Of no interest to me and had never heard of them 'til this AM. Apparently, there could well be a 5.56 version coming in addition to the existing 9mm. Known as 'Lever Release'. Question, what happens if you hold the lever down?

on another forum

"When SGC submitted a gun to the FSS for testing to confirm Section 1 status the numpties submitted a prototype which allowed the lever to be held down and the gun to fire semi-auto rolleyes.gif Unfortunately they had also sold a load of guns to the public without getting them properly 'signed off' (no idea how they managed that legally but hey-ho!), and i was one of those unlucky souls. All the guns had to be surrendered to the police until the FSS tests had been complete. A second 'production' gun was given to the FSS for testing and it passed as S1.

All of the surrendered guns had to be individually tested and out of the 100 odd guns sold only half a dozen were found to be the ones that permitted semi-auto fire, and muggins here had one :-\I'd took delivery of the gun on the Tuesday and it was confiscated on the Friday, which was February last year and it took until October to get a replacement. I was not a happy bunny"

Guess it doesn't work if you hold it down

Well, that didn't take long!. Of no interest to me and had never heard of them 'til this AM. Apparently, there could well be a 5.56 version coming in addition to the existing 9mm. Known as 'Lever Release'. Question, what happens if you hold the lever down?

Nothing.. it is engineered in such a way that you cant make it semi auto.. when SGC first launched these the police were all over it, the first batch were recalled and there was concern they would be deemed illegal and could be made self loading with modification, it was pointed out though that any legal weapon could be converted into a prohibited one with some modification, all it takes is intent!

I had a slot on my ticket for one for a couple of years after I watched a few in action down at the Pheonix... fab things but I eventually came to the sensible conclusion that they were just big boys toys.. If I had lived closer and thought I might have got regular use out of it then that slot may have been filled but In reality it would have only come out of the cabinet once a year!

Edited by Vipa

how do we get criminals to obey the law like regular shooters do

You can't I'm afraid, cos if they obeyed the law they wouldn't be criminals. :)

Interesting post. I'm pretty certain Low Mill Ranges do conversion work which ends up with something very similar. We were once given a demo' of one of their AR15's, but it was some time ago so I could well be wrong.

Scott at Caledonian Classic Arms is about to release a version of the VZ58 in what he calls "MARS" (Manually Activated Release System) knowing the quality of the straight pull VZ58s this should be a nice rifle.

In comparison this is what happened to my SGC 9mm when it blew up in my face,

b1.jpg

joint1.jpg

joint2.jpg

Obviously it was all my fault, I'd previously used reloaded ammunition so no warranty despite the fact it blew when using Prvi factory ammo.

And of course no one else had ever had a problem (apart from persistent feed issues etc.) until of course a second one blew up in exactly the same way.

There is no grey area here. A rifle is either semi-automatic or it isn't. SGC just came up with something new - and I take my hat off to them for doing so! Very concerned to hear of them blowing up though! I like the idea of one in .45 ACP, but at the moment I've never even shot one.

I understand that the 5.56mm lever release has been shelved as the costs of tooling pushed the price up, and the orders down, to the point that it wasn't viable.

Found it difficult to word the question clearly so have amended it. Naturally, Brad's answer does not reflect the question.

Unlock bolt, open bolt, close bolt and lock bolt. Four movements - standard really.

Browning straight pull : Open bolt and close bolt - we're now down to two.

Two to beat then.

Double rifle: move index finger to second trigger - we're now to one.

Or have the middle finger on the second trigger already - now down to zero.