Best Cartridge

NeVeTaS

I want to buy 1,000 cart's, something that I can use for just about everything (except wildfoling). Mostly pigeon but also game and rabbit.

So far I've been using Express 32g 6's, Shot about 500 of them all seems fine, and I'm happy. But maybe 30g 6's would be better? I use Semi Auto so recoil is very minamal.

Want to spend max £100 on 1,000

Should I just stick with 32g 6's (£94 1000) ??

Welcome hammergun.  :)

Before the cheap continental cartridges came on the scene, I always used Eley Grand Prix 5 & 6 for general shooting and Eley Maximum 4 & 5 for wildfowl and foxes.

They were so much more expensive, than the quite suitable alternatives, that I haven,t checked their prices for years.

Are they still "expensive" ?

A very reliable cartridge.

I'm not sure as I am still on what I got last year.  With the FMD, our supplier had a surplus and I got them for about £28 for a box of 250.  I don't know how much they are normally but we generally get them discounted on account from our farm wholesaler.  

I hadn't enough with me last month when I was visiting a friend in W Yorks, and I got Express Game and Pigeon Special from a gunshop there which were cheap enough and I was pleased with the results (but the pigeons weren't!).

So a "cheap" price was about £112 per 1000.

Thats still on the pricey side of what else is available.

I have tried most cartridges and killed birds with all of them.

One of the best for hard hitting kills was the Baikal cartridges.

The only problem was that they shook my guns to pieces and when it was time to clean the guns, it was a job for a chimney sweep, not a pull through. :)

Ther are a lot of good cartridges about at the moment, probably the best selection I can remember.

I haven,t seen Baikal cartridges about for a long time. They weren,t officially "black powder", but you got the impression that it was the sweepings off the floor of the factory, that got put in them.

Another worry with them, was that every now and then, a cartridge would make a louder bang, give a bigger kick and casserole the target.

Made me wonder if the Russians were testing some of their tactical weapons at the Baikal factory.  :0  :0

Aaaah, the old Sellior Bellot,first came in the ten cartridge pack.

Nope, they seem to have disappeared also.

I missed quite a bit with those.As they were SO cheap, I often thought there might not be any shot in them.

But, they did go bang.

With some of the earlier cheap Eastern European cartridge imports, you had more chance of killing the bird by THROWING the cartridge at it, rather than firing it. :)

One called :):) Devil or something similar, I think it was a green casing, was terrible.

Misfires, loads of smoke, swelled-up cases a complete disaster.

I always use Express cartridges, and have shot thousands without a misfire.Did have a similar experience to that one that Craigie mentioned though and that was with a home load that my mate gave me to try.In my case though the brass end finished up the wrong side of the ejector claw and I had a hell of a job removing it.Missed the chance of several shots while getting it out.As my local supplier is mainly a fishing tackle shop and stocks virtually only Express, it is not supprising I use only them,but nevertheless I am more than happy with the quality and the price. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Also the supreme games are 2 1/2inch case and people tend to have problems sometimes with this case length in semis so save hassle stick with your 32gram 6's

Oh.... that raises a question for me!

I have an old Westley Richards sbs (circa 1925-30) with 2.5 inch chambers and very nice (nitro proofed) Damascus barrels. I have only shot a few clays with it so far, but having recently started pigeon shooting with my AL391 Urika SA I had hoped to find a good pigeon cartridge for both guns. Is there a major problem with 2 1/2 shotshells in Beretta SA's?...     :C