BISLEY MAGNUMS

evo

this question is for the .177 guys,

ok I,ve just ordered a wolverine b and was wondering ? does using the .177 bis mag still have a flat trajectory being a heavier pellet ???

I,ve bought so far ,, jsb excact,s,,,bis mags ,,,h&n field target trophy,,bisley long range gold,,,H&N barracuda hunter,,,,so I,m expecting at least one of these pellets to suit the rifle,

what do ya think ???

atb Evo

No, they are heavy pellets so travel at a lower velocity = more time for gravity to do its thing.

I used to use bis mags but found they over penetrate and tend not to deform well, also you loose the benefit of the .177 trajectory - but they are worth a go as I think you were always a .22 man and the drop will probably feel more normal.

I would guess that the JSBs will be one of the best but that are all good in my rifle. I liked the long range gold too but they snagged on my magazine.

Atb

I,ve not used the bis mags in .22 but have noticed they seem in between a domed pellet and a pointed one which is probably why they over penetrate. they do look a cracking shape so I,m looking forward to trying them out,

cheers falcon

atb Evo

Try the Barracuda hunter extremes, one of the most accurate hollow point rounds I've tried!

Also I tend to use Daystate Soverign, they seem just about the most accurate, although there's pretty much nothing in it. I think I just like the idea that they're all supposed to be made from one die.

I like the Bisley mags for some scenarios. If it's windy, I prefer the heavier pellet. and they do retain their energy down range. Kent's right they are solid little beggars and don't deform on impact, but they are very well made. pellet to pellet, they seem very consistent and group well in most guns. The drop isn't as bad as a .22, but it is noticeable; at 35yds I think mine is a mil-dot and a half lower with mags compared to AA field pellets.

I found the Bisley mags didn't group well in 177 in my rifle. Jsb exacts are a fantastic pellet. Although I tested many many pellets before I found one that suited the gun?

Don't know why I put a ? As not asking a question - back to the cider,

I find ( oddly ) that in .22 my webley venom viper will shoot higher on paper at 50 yards with JSB exact jumbo diablo which from memory are 15.9 gr than 14.9gr superdomes.. scientifically it doesn't make sense.. ie more wieght, more pronounced trajectory, but it seems my rifle really really likes the jsb's. As the above poster says.. could be a head size issue.

I only mention it to bear in mind that weight may not adversely affect performance.

I find ( oddly ) that in .22 my webley venom viper will shoot higher on paper at 50 yards with JSB exact jumbo diablo which from memory are 15.9 gr than 14.9gr superdomes.. scientifically it doesn't make sense.. ie more wieght, more pronounced trajectory, but it seems my rifle really really likes the jsb's. As the above poster says.. could be a head size issue.

I only mention it to bear in mind that weight may not adversely affect performance.

Unusual but there is often more to it than first appears, especially with certain PCP guns

Maybe worth a quick check through a chrono in that case.

I used to use AA Field in my Webley Viper Venom .22 and suffered with run offs with some clear head shot rabbits. I switched to the much heavier Bisley magnums and knocked them over every time. With the .22 magnum, you need to get out on the paper targets to learn about holdover/under, if shooting beyond 30 yards. The Bisleys work well in my .22 FAC Career 707 running at 28lb. Having started shooting a .177 again, I'm amazed how flat they shoot in comparison to .22.

hi bob I used bisleys in my r10 when I got it but had trouble grouping them

I switched to jsb exact 8.4 grain and never looked back

Target%20good_zpstaojowmm.jpg

this group was at 50 yards off of my bi pod with JSB exact, 10 shot group

I have two tins of Bisley mags in my cupboard if you want them, I can send them up with my night vision re our private messages

belly

Edited by belly47

Just wondering why you seem to be looking at the heavier pellets? Maybe a bit of .22 mentality still lurking among the old grey matter my friend and tempting you towards the weightier options-I think that you will lose the benefits of the smaller calibre (high speed-flatter trajectory) if you go too far down this route-any medium weight pellet that your new gun likes the taste of will kill all day long if you deliver it to the right address-the flatter trajectory will be your best means of doing this :yes:

Unusual but there is often more to it than first appears, especially with certain PCP guns

Odd, its not particularly pellet fussy, groups well with most decent pellets, but i do notice an flatter trajectory with the JSB jumbo diablo over the superdome.

Maybe worth a quick check through a chrono in that case.

The guy i bought it off ran it through when i bought it, and it was doing 11.3, I then had some issues with low power which turned out to be a broken pressure gauge on my hand pump, giving incorrect readings meaning i was not pumping it up nearly enough, so it was ran through at a shop after being properly filled from the dive tank. Gave the same 11.3 then. My pump had a new gauge, and the gun has not been meddled with in any way so, it pretty certain its still going to be 11.3 but i'll borrow my friends chrono and check.

I used to use AA Field in my Webley Viper Venom .22 and suffered with run offs with some clear head shot rabbits. I switched to the much heavier Bisley magnums and knocked them over every time. With the .22 magnum, you need to get out on the paper targets to learn about holdover/under, if shooting beyond 30 yards. The Bisleys work well in my .22 FAC Career 707 running at 28lb. Having started shooting a .177 again, I'm amazed how flat they shoot in comparison to .22.

Never had a run off. But when ive missed its always been my fault, for an older pcp mine is pretty darn accurate.

appologies for the thread hijack! In my .177 i run JSB exacts and find them extremely consistent.

Evo, In my MK4 Daystate .177 it seems to really like Brocock Superdiablo`s in 7.9gr, theyr a Cosman Premier really, a very clean pellet and gives good volocity and a real flat flight and does well on quarry also.

Let me know if you want a few to try and I will pop you some in the post !

ATB

Matt

hi bob I used bisleys in my r10 when I got it but had trouble grouping them

I switched to jsb exact 8.4 grain and never looked back

Target%20good_zpstaojowmm.jpg

this group was at 50 yards off of my bi pod with JSB exact, 10 shot group

I have two tins of Bisley mags in my cupboard if you want them, I can send them up with my night vision re our private messages

belly

cheers lee,pm sent mate

Just wondering why you seem to be looking at the heavier pellets? Maybe a bit of .22 mentality still lurking among the old grey matter my friend and tempting you towards the weightier options-I think that you will lose the benefits of the smaller calibre (high speed-flatter trajectory) if you go too far down this route-any medium weight pellet that your new gun likes the taste of will kill all day long if you deliver it to the right address-the flatter trajectory will be your best means of doing this :yes:

hi mate, no its not the fact of using the heavier pellet I was curious because everyone in the .177 group seem to rave about the bis mags and how well they shoot in .177,s I will be hopefully using the jsb,s in the rifle but was wondering what the difference was in the mags to the standard weight pellet,

cheers Evo

Evo, In my MK4 Daystate .177 it seems to really like Brocock Superdiablo`s in 7.9gr, theyr a Cosman Premier really, a very clean pellet and gives good volocity and a real flat flight and does well on quarry also.

Let me know if you want a few to try and I will pop you some in the post !

ATB

Matt

matt I,ve just bought 3500 different .177 pellets so I,ll have a pop with them first bus and if not happy I,ll give ya a bell mate, thanks for the offer bud

atb Evo

kent, on 07 Apr 2014 - 08:21 AM, said:

Odd, its not particularly pellet fussy, groups well with most decent pellets, but i do notice an flatter trajectory with the JSB jumbo diablo over the superdome.

I think you missed my point. Heavy pellets can significantly rise the power output of certain PCP guns, it depends how the air pulse is released. The exact reverse is true with a spring piston gun

• 5 years later...