Another shaving question...

WGD

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the open razors out and start using them, I shave with a DE using Personna or Feathers and use a Miraki open razor with disposable long blades. You can learn shave with an open razor quickly by watching vids on You Tube.

Good brush and shaving cream is the key, most blades will shave close.

Figgy

I Have not used a DE as such but use a straight razor, i do also use a dovo shavette with DE blades and the shave is superb, I only bother once a week but they easy cope I use the blades 4 times before changing,

these are dovo blades i got when i bought the two razors, Paul get those straight razors in use use a good soap and brush and get your face properly soaked and soaped up you wont look back. It will feel awkward for a couple of goes then it will become easy after that, atb wayne

• 1 year later...

Astra platinum blades or the Gillette 7 o'clock super sharp in my shavette, Ichange the blade every 2 or 3 shaves, have also just bought a straight, after a hone and a good strop last night l used it for my second pass, very comfortable shave, needs a bit more work to deal with a heavier beard tho. But the straight is more gentle than the shavette.

Quality shaving cream helps, I use Taylor's of old Bond Street, and using a brush to lather up makes a huge difference.

This is a bit of a reach back in time (12months) !

I dont object though as this is a guilty pleasure of mine aside shooting.

For me I have a Edwin Jagger DE89 razor and Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) Sandlewood shaving cream.

I tried many blades with various results but the one that worked for me was: Astra SP Greens !

For £12 I bought a big pack of I think it was 150 blades, and I get 3-4 shaves per blade and only shaving every 5 days or so means ive got about two years worth of blades for £12. The multi-blade cartirdge razors can go whistle, My DE89 gives a better shave than any multi blade rip off junk and the TOBS creams are also so much nicer than the snott in a can and my skin is much better for it.

I am a complete convert to DE shaving and cant encourage anyone enough to give it a go and learn as its so much better in the long run and once you have the nack its as quick as any multi blade shave.

Just dont try shaving the twig and berrys with a DE though as you may just regret that :no::oops:

ATB

Matt

Edited by salop sniper

Feather blades in my muhle r41 open comb very aggresive just have the one shave then flip the blade over for another then a new one next time.

Feather blades in my muhle r41 open comb very aggresive just have the one shave then flip the blade over for another then a new one next time.

Myself I struggled with the derbys feeling blunt and snaggy, the feathers were very sharp and harsh !

As others have said anyone starting out stick with it and get a selection pack of blades, I tryed 15 or so before I found the Astras and well worth the wait.

Also dont go without a brush and propper shaving cream or soap, bin the canned snott.

An alum block is handy as is a styptic pencil. Warning with the styptic pencil ......it comes sharp, keep to using it on nick`s around your face and dont get curious with it as you want be rewarded. :oops:

ATB

Matt

I cant believe what I've just read on here, boys i both take my hat off and salute anyone that has the "cahones" to shave like this,

The cut throats might take a little longer than the DE razors to 'master'.

I wouldn't go back to the Gillette multi blades. Haven't had any redness or 'ingrown' (is that the term?) Hairs since starting on the DE.

Once you get the technique and prep right, you won't have any incidents.

I've a DE and a cut throat to keep around the facial nice and tidy and use Astra Platinum blades.

I've never really thought of using a DE as difficult, I even sometimes use it to shave my head once I've been at it with the clippers.

The cut throats might take a little longer than the DE razors to 'master'.

I wouldn't go back to the Gillette multi blades. Haven't had any redness or 'ingrown' (is that the term?) Hairs since starting on the DE.

Once you get the technique and prep right, you won't have any incidents.

I once tried with a straight razor, managed one side of my face ok, by the time id finished my top lip and the other side of my face, i looked like i'd lost a bar fight, I feel a wuss for using a safety razor now lol

half the battle is having plenty time and peace and quiet. Go slow and use good soap and alcohol free aftershave. Using a brush to lather up is better even if using snot out a tin.

Since switching to a shavette I get nearly no irritation from shaving unlike when using a cassette razor when my neck would look like I had sanded the stubble off!

I use feathers mainly but do like persona blues and get longer out of the blades, not as sharp though.

Try a sample pack of blades you can buy online I did and found some quite good cheap ones.

I often use a Japanese Miraki straight razor with long disposable blades, great for long growth but never stop when it's on your skin, you tend to bleed a lot. Also takes time to master, after you get used to it you can shave one pass against the grain and be baby smooth very quick.

Edited by figgy

half the battle is having plenty time and peace and quiet. Go slow and use good soap and alcohol free aftershave. Using a brush to lather up is better even if using snot out a tin.

Since switching to a shavette I get nearly no irritation from shaving unlike when using a cassette razor when my neck would look like I had sanded the stubble off!

Exactly why I can't use one - day starts at 0530 and every minute until bed is needed - so even more time scraping my face is not an option Its a necessary evil to get done ASAP! :lol:

I love my DE, been using it with Feather blades (change every other day) and proraso soap (awesome stuff) for years. Also have a nice straight but don't use it daily as I rarely have time, I save it for the weekend (very enjoyable shave, nothing quite like it). The key to nick free shaving with a DE is too create a decent lather (use a badger brush and a decent soap, not the stuff in a can), pay attention to the angle of attack and use zero pressure. Remember it's all about beard reduction NOT removal (not in the first pass anyway). Get yourself an Alum block and use it after shaving, it'll teach you where you've been using too much pressure. In no time you'll wonder why you ever used a cartridge razor, they really are utter garbage compared to a DE.

I bought an epilator, it started out as a philishave leccy shaver but now it's a bit blunt, it does wake me up right quick in the morning though :lol:

ha ha yeah I had one that did the same, it's what made me look into DE, it was proper vicious :lol:

Edited by MartynGT4