Help! Labrador retrieving problems

shootingmike

Of course it is.He's posted here to because he recognises that.

He would do well to watch himself back on a camcorder to see if he can spot any obvious problems with how he reacts to the dog when it is retrieving.After that seek someone with a proven record or someome recommended to you from someone you know well.

Sounds to me like the dog feels excess pressure of a retrieve. They read body language more so than we realise.

Throw the dummy then move round a corner, does the dog come back to hand? This way you can remain standing and slowly progress to standing still where you threw the dummy and he should return to hand.

Sounds like you're making progress keep it fun! Good luck

Edited by wj939

with respect its taken 4 yrs to get to this, I shouldn't really be "trying" anything seeking a cure. I am not saying this cannot be fixed but you do need help beyond the forum advice, it might be as well for you to go straight to a pro as I am positive this wont just happen if you stop looking at the dog at this late stage or lie down a few times. Lying down is just an interesting test if you have the wit to observe what occurs on the first occasion, it basically puts most dogs completely off their guard (the more you do it the less it works). I will bet if you get yourself down to a good trainer used to handling people and observing dogs they will put their finger on the issue very fast, without diagnosis you are unlikely to cure things it is here that the focus should be. Thereafter its a long road as the behaviour now learned will be well ingrained, the dog might have long forgotten the actual why bit a couple of years back.

As above, but to be fair a 4 year old dog should be in his prime.

I have a 8 month old bitch a 4 year old bitch and a 5 year old bitch, and to be truthful I cant remember the last time I used dummies on the older two.

The 8 month old bitch only sees a dummy every other day and then only has 3 retrieves.

people always over do it with dummies and the dog gets fed up with the hole thing.

As above, but to be fair a 4 year old dog should be in his prime.

I have a 8 month old bitch a 4 year old bitch and a 5 year old bitch, and to be truthful I cant remember the last time I used dummies on the older two.

The 8 month old bitch only sees a dummy every other day and then only has 3 retrieves.

people always over do it with dummies and the dog gets fed up with the hole thing.

This is very true, I like to keep them on the ball but my 2 1/2 year old got one demo retrieve at weekend for my daughters friend to see and one dead bird yesterday. If I had summer pigeon I shouldn't likely bother full stop. I notice the run out is so much quicker and enthusiastic if they don't get one for a few days. I am surprised by what you are doing with the 8mnth old but don't know the dog or what stage it is at, do you do this low a level generally with a dog who is likely 2 month in to the proper training?

This is very true, I like to keep them on the ball but my 2 1/2 year old got one demo retrieve at weekend for my daughters friend to see and one dead bird yesterday. If I had summer pigeon I shouldn't likely bother full stop. I notice the run out is so much quicker and enthusiastic if they don't get one for a few days. I am surprised by what you are doing with the 8mnth old but don't know the dog or what stage it is at, do you do this low a level generally with a dog who is likely 2 month in to the proper training?

Hi Kent.

The 8 month old bitch is a very bold bitch, one I bred myself from the oldest bitch.

I did not do very much with her up to her being 6 months old, leaving the socializing to the mrs :whistling: .

Most of the work I am doing now is heal work, three retrieves every other day. the bitch is walking to heal on a drag, sitting and waiting to be sent out for the retrieve, and going back on a path 50 yard for a drop ball that she sees me place.

I am also using a dummy launcher every now and then as she has been use to a training pistol from a young age while being fed.

The bitch is 3rd generation that i have bred and I have bred the pups for boldness.

I find as long as the pups finds the training fun and thinks its all just a game you can play train to a high standard.

I don't care how daft I look when training pups, I will role about on the floor with them and talk in a silly voice as long as the pup keeps smiling

Before anyone says dogs don't smile, if you cant see if your dog is smiling or not, you will not train a dog.

A lot of poor delivery is a result of dogs not being recalled properly when they are pups, get the pup to come right into you when you call them back every time.

make a big fuss and lots of good boy/girl.

This way, when they have the dummy they will do the same.

Edited by Actionpigeons

Hi Kent.

The 8 month old bitch is a very bold bitch, one I bred myself from the oldest bitch.

I did not do very much with her up to her being 6 months old, leaving the socializing to the mrs :whistling: .

Most of the work I am doing now is heal work, three retrieves every other day. the bitch is walking to heal on a drag, sitting and waiting to be sent out for the retrieve, and going back on a path 50 yard for a drop ball that she sees me place.

I am also using a dummy launcher every now and then as she has been use to a training pistol from a young age while being fed.

The bitch is 3rd generation that i have bred and I have bred the pups for boldness.

I find as long as the pups finds the training fun and thinks its all just a game you can play train to a high standard.

I don't care how daft I look when training pups, I will role about on the floor with them and talk in a silly voice as long as the pup keeps smiling

Before anyone says dogs don't smile, if you cant see if your dog is smiling or not, you will not train a dog.

A lot of poor delivery is a result of dogs not being recalled properly when they are pups, get the pup to come right into you when you call them back every time.

make a big fuss and lots of good boy/girl.

This way, when they have the dummy they will do the same.

Just read this thread to help a friend with a 15m old lab not bringing to hand. Confident it can be solved as he's had a 6m gap in training. Wasn't keen on the lying on the floor advice but used in context with the eye contact issue I can see the benefit.

Just wanted to say well done on the comment above - totally agree with that. People think I am mad when I say I can see a dog smile....

If the dog has learned a certain way of behaving,over a long period of time,even after a years break from what it has been doing,it still has to re learn the new way of behaving.Not only has the dog got to learn the new way but even more importantly the handler or owner has to learn a new way or behaviour.Until the handler (owner) learns and understands EXACTLY what it was that caused the problem,it is only a matter of time before the old behaviour will creep back in.

True that too much overdoing retrieves can cause problems but once the problems are there,simply having a break wont fix them.

If the dog has learned a certain way of behaving,over a long period of time,even after a years break from what it has been doing,it still has to re learn the new way of behaving.Not only has the dog got to learn the new way but even more importantly the handler or owner has to learn a new way or behaviour.Until the handler (owner) learns and understands EXACTLY what it was that caused the problem,it is only a matter of time before the old behaviour will creep back in.

True that too much overdoing retrieves can cause problems but once the problems are there,simply having a break wont fix them.

Not all by itself it wont but it is a useful trick to re-starting the learning stage. Batting on relentlessly (when the fault is still occurring) is far worse IMO. 6mnths seems extreme though

Not all by itself it wont but it is a useful trick to re-starting the learning stage. Batting on relentlessly (when the fault is still occurring) is far worse IMO. 6mnths seems extreme though

Edited by Bazooka