Floater Folly

I took delivery of my new "floater" yesterday, so today being my birthday, I took a day off work

to treat myself to a few hours down the permission.

So , I set out the deeks, and put the floater at the back of the pattern,as if it were picking a spot

to land.

It was a little gusty, but not to bad. To my dismay the wings of the floater which are foam , and are just

popped into a slot cut in the side of the decoy, started to tear !!. :no:

Then when I was packing up , the little "spring pin",that hold the two poles together "pinged" off into the grass.

And could not be found.

And then I managed to lose one of the poles out of my bag , on the walk back to the car. :blush:

Oh , and the pigeons decided , not to participate in the whole charade either. :lol:

I wonder what golf's like?

Being old and grey I started pigeon shooting before all of these new fangled things came out I still dont have a whirley and for floaters I use a long thin hazel wand pushed up through the body and a short bit to hold the wings open , you can have long ones at the edge of the pattern and shorter ones in the middle to look like birds about to land , the only problem is you have got to get a pigeon first , but if they break you just cut another one. :good:

Being old and grey I started pigeon shooting before all of these new fangled things came out I still dont have a whirley and for floaters I use a long thin hazel wand pushed up through the body and a short bit to hold the wings open , you can have long ones at the edge of the pattern and shorter ones in the middle to look like birds about to land , the only problem is you have got to get a pigeon first , but if they break you just cut another one. :good:

I understand how this works etc buts how to you stop the bird turning upside down when it is windy? Doesn't it pivot on the stick, the wing spreaders won't help at all unless you fix the spreader stick to the bouncer?

Had much the same happen to me With a Jack Pyke floater and rod... complete waste of money, :sad1:

Not all are mate just the cheap deek jobs fitted to a two piece rod, try one from hawkeye you will change your mind.

KW

Sounds like a bad day at the office.

I've had the jack Pyke ones and they work ok.

I now have the Chris Green ones, they are not cheap but

are very good.. I find with these bits of kit you do need to

keep them in a separate bag so they don't get damaged by

other kit. I found the jp ones came with a lack of instructions.