Break barrel air rifle

Thaikat

Hello

I currently use a gamo igt rocket different than a springer as its gas ram shot power is consistant, only problem with the old igt gamo rocket/zombie edition is no moderator can be used on them

But the new rocket features a bull barrel with silencer best ones I can recommend are below the stoeger and gamo are round about £150 mark the benjamin trail is lot more but its imported from

the usa,

Stoeger X20, Benjamin Trail NP .22 only and Gamo IGT series

Edited by Mossyoak77

Been in gun shops looking at this question myself today while the car was in having an MOT. Kind of narrowed it down to BSA lightning Xl, or a Weirauch W77k. Both nice quality guns, but the BSA is a bit lighter to hold and aim, whereas the Weirauch looks sexier. .

If was gonna blow best part of £500 I would've bought a beautiful Weirauch tactical, synthetic. Might have been the 97 but I can't remember. Easily the best made and quality gun in the rack, and very accurate according to reviews.

Then the garage called to say it was going to cost me a monkey to fix the car, so I went home empty handed. :sad1::sad1:

Edited by Longchalk

I've had...HW35, HW97k and now have an HW95k :good: Light and very well balanced. Unlike the others, you could carry it all day. Go the extra bit and get Tony Wall at Sandwell fieldsports to do a stage one tune on it. I've heard good things about it and it will make a great rifle even better. :good:

I would have thought an AA Prosport or TX200 should be concidered, I know they're underlevers not breakbarrels but I've heard nothing but fantastic accuracy from these springers.. I shot a mates TX200 many years ago and it seemed to hit whatever it was pointed at out to 30 yards.. Both look super sexy too... :good:

Do not, under any circumstances, ever, ever, consider buying the Lightning. It is a disaster from Butt pad to muzzle (as all the problems have started and ended there). There have been problems with triggers, springs, pistons, washers, pivot pins and muzzles too. Also has a habit of snapping the stock bolts when feeling peevish.

The HW is engineering in a far higher league, but even that can be subject to problems (poor finish, badly cut springs, swarf in mechanism, damaged seals) so take care with those too.

If you are after a budget gun then the Hatsan 55 S (.177) and 60 S (.22) are worth a look. Walnut stock, genuine 2 stage trigger, if you look hard you can find them for around £100, average is about £120-130.

The Weihrauch range are great, I have an HW100, a 90 and a 77 too. Just there have been some problems as I have said. Just avoid BSA, they really are an insult to the name!

You know we have had a BSA lightning here for about 4 yrs. at first it was a bit rough cocking as the spring shroud was a bit of useless undersized plastic rubbish (it was removed). I blueprinted the action, fitted a reduced spring changed the seals etc.

It is no HW and is not on par with my lazerglide HW80 that's for sure but its just fine for purpose and compares more than favourably in its price class. An 80 Lazerglide might set you back £500 notes even second hand remember. I plan to reduce that spring pressure still further so it just produces 10 ft lb as feel the manufacturer pushed the power limits too high for the heft of this gun to achieve sales in the "nicer to hold" niche, though its very useable. In fact thinking on I had one of the first lightnings (when they looked like a beefed up meteor) and that shot well enough also I shot FT then and took it around the GP course in practice a number of times. if you try one it needs a very gentle hold and room to breathe and the right choice of pellets. The trigger is fine though a pig to assemble (don't take it to bits to do the spring)

I was at a mates yesterday who is still mad into the club thing and airguns, he has just sorted an old BSA meteor and fitted FWB open sights. The groups it has produced show it is well capable of hitting an end on 12 bore empty case shot after shot at under 30 yards and it only produces 8 1/2 ft lb. This is with a basic gun from the 1950's? Are we not over cooking this whole issue? if it works and kills vermin at appropriate ranges then all is good.

Stock bolts being snapped? sounds like a tensioning error for sure (likely by the user)

Hi

I've a couple of Lightnings that are fine (probably just lucky!!) :rolleyes:

I also have a few HW35s, a couple of HW80s and a 95 and had a 98- the 98 was as smooth as a ladies inner thigh!! :lol:

You can't really go wrong with a HW, even the older second hand ones are usually fine (built like tractors!!!)

If money is no object then I would be scouring the sites for a nice Theoben Fenman or Eliminator or one of the other beauties B)

John :)

Hi

I also have a few HW35s, a couple of HW80s and a 95 and had a 98- the 98 was as smooth as a ladies inner thigh!! :lol:

You can't really go wrong with a HW, even the older second hand ones are usually fine (built like tractors!!!)

If money is no object then I would be scouring the sites for a nice Theoben Fenman or Eliminator or one of the other beauties B)

You like the eliminator? I am shocked! Second only to the Webley Patriot is the appallingly horrid to shoot stakes to my mind. It comes second only because it shoots ok at 15 ft lb and is easy to turn down

Hi

Don't forget John the Theoben Eliminator is an FAC rifle so if the OP hasn't got an FAC he can't get this rifle.

Do not, under any circumstances, ever, ever, consider buying the Lightning. It is a disaster from Butt pad to muzzle (as all the problems have started and ended there). There have been problems with triggers, springs, pistons, washers, pivot pins and muzzles too. Also has a habit of snapping the stock bolts when feeling peevish.

The HW is engineering in a far higher league, but even that can be subject to problems (poor finish, badly cut springs, swarf in mechanism, damaged seals) so take care with those too.

If you are after a budget gun then the Hatsan 55 S (.177) and 60 S (.22) are worth a look. Walnut stock, genuine 2 stage trigger, if you look hard you can find them for around £100, average is about £120-130.

The Weihrauch range are great, I have an HW100, a 90 and a 77 too. Just there have been some problems as I have said. Just avoid BSA, they really are an insult to the name!

+1.Have had a few air rifles over the years and of the more modern stuff the only one I would talk folk out of is a lightening,had an XL,lovely and light but would not group with any pellets.......v.poor. would recommend AA prosport/HWs77/80/97/90.......love the 90 but it is heavy.