Break barrel air rifle

Thaikat

You like the eliminator? I am shocked! Second only to the Webley Patriot is the appallingly horrid to shoot stakes to my mind. It comes second only because it shoots ok at 15 ft lb and is easy to turn down

They aren't nice at 28ish ft lbs, but ok at around 22ft lbs I reckon. Never tried one at 15ft lb though. They don't seem to hold much resale value. I think people tend to find them difficult to shoot at full power, so sell them on, at a loss.

I had a TX200, top gun but heavy to carry around the permission. Tried a lightning , everyone should just once

just so you appreciate everything else.

I had many others , but ended up with a HW95K which shot ok from standard but chrono'd close to

the 12 ft/lb limit. As a compromise between weight and quality I reckon its spot on. :good:

What do people prefer, a break barrel or under levers rifle? Springer or gas ram rifle? What combination works well for quary? Cheers

If I was to choose I'd go for an underlever, I like the fixed barrel and they feel slightly more balanced to me. An AA TX200, pro sport or an HW97 would be top of my list.

What do people prefer, a break barrel or under levers rifle? Springer or gas ram rifle? What combination works well for quary? Cheers

Tried all sorts. In use hunting I don't feel a good break barrel can be bettered. Mags get dropped in boggy fields and dark n dirty barns and are fiddly to re-fill out lamping etc., the break action is very quick and easy to load and conforms to the K.I.S.S principle.

The issue is honestly budget in what someone chooses! I use a modified HW80, the gun was modified to my specification by Steve Pope mechanically and I converted the stock in shape and finish and fit. The scope that has sat on it from day 1 (more than a decade ago) is a Simmonds WTC 1.5-5x20mm in extra low mounts. This gun has killed a stack of quarry rabbits (which I have recently almost stopped shooting with airguns), mink (when I was on the river keepering) , ferals in their hundreds (from barn clearing), rats, magpies and a few crows (those dumb enough to get too close). If you were to put them all in a big pile you should need a big skip to remove them that's for sure!

Over the years I have had all sorts of actions and power levels / calibres of airguns for both target and hunting. At the end of the day though there is little to beat a good break action 12 ft/lb spring gun in .22 flavour when it comes to killing pests at short range. My gun wont suit all but it suits me, it perhaps cost more than its real worth to build initially but because I have had it a good while the gun stands me at about the same right down cost as the pellet it took to kill each pest

MY old Mans HW77k I learned to shoot with, it's underlever not break barrel and a little weighty but it's with a walnut stock and raised cheek piece. He has had it donkey's years and so far the only problem has been the catch for the under lever but that was easily replaced. It's accurate and reliable. As for the Eliminator i'd rather staple my foreskin to the mast of a sinking ship than rely on that hateful piece of detritus.

Hi guys, i did indeed visit the AGC. I held a number of rifles and narrowed it down to two guns. Both Weihrauch, Hw97KT and HW90k. Both very different in terms of structure and build. There is a 97KT in the for sale section on PW and it looks like i have purchased the gun pending collection from Duncan. Thanks very much for all your help and knowledge guys, much appreciated.

• 3 months later...

I would have thought an AA Prosport or TX200 should be concidered, I know they're underlevers not breakbarrels but I've heard nothing but fantastic accuracy from these springers.. I shot a mates TX200 many years ago and it seemed to hit whatever it was pointed at out to 30 yards.. Both look super sexy too... :good:

TX200 all the way!