Flappers

Davyo

Ok two part answer..... to Beretta, 'your statement without merit or truth', it doesnt look anything like a 'mexican wave'.as you put it. the video used was to show the travel and lifelike flap given in slow motion, that's not how you would use it in the field, nor would you have it flapping for any more than a couple of seconds on a random timer, so being able to spot any time difference between each wing is impossible. You also exclaimed. 'not how a pigeon flies!!!', it's not designed to look like a flying pigeon, it's supposed to represent a landing pigeon, again with the timer, a few flaps as the bird lands or moves about in the feeding flock. so in my opinion, you've never seen one in action, can't make sweeping statements, capped off with exclamation marks and smiley faces, and not expect to get a reation from someone who knows the machine inside out, and uses it on a weekly basis, and designed it!... And that Bakerboy, answers your question as well.:) whether or not Beretta will own up or deny a vested interest in his flapper of choice is yet to be seen.

I have nothing more to add to this conversation, Gentlemen, enjoy your shooting!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok two part answer..... to Beretta, 'your statement without merit or truth', it doesnt look anything like a 'mexican wave'.as you put it. the video used was to show the travel and lifelike flap given in slow motion, that's not how you would use it in the field, nor would you have it flapping for any more than a couple of seconds on a random timer, so being able to spot any time difference between each wing is impossible. You also exclaimed. 'not how a pigeon flies!!!', it's not designed to look like a flying pigeon, it's supposed to represent a landing pigeon, again with the timer, a few flaps as the bird lands or moves about in the feeding flock. so in my opinion, you've never seen one in action, can't make sweeping statements, capped off with exclamation marks and smiley faces, and not expect to get a reation from someone who knows the machine inside out, and uses it on a weekly basis, and designed it!... And that Bakerboy, answers your question as well. :) whether or not Beretta will own up or deny a vested interest in his flapper of choice is yet to be seen.

I have nothing more to add to this conversation, Gentlemen, enjoy your shooting!

as a neutral observer to this 1 you clearly have a conflict of interest....I have no problem with that,but if stated with 1st post,for me would have been helpful.

..as someone who has gone off magnet am in market for flapper/s.........impartial opinions of users will influence my purchasing...it is just working out what/who is impartial!! I have nothing for/against any flappers at this point....has anyone tried both types?.....my guess on Berettas06 is that a man who buys 3 perazzis in a year is involved in commercial ventures a bit bigger than flogging the odd pigeon wobbler.........

Ok two part answer..... to Beretta, 'your statement without merit or truth', it doesnt look anything like a 'mexican wave'.as you put it. the video used was to show the travel and lifelike flap given in slow motion, that's not how you would use it in the field, nor would you have it flapping for any more than a couple of seconds on a random timer, so being able to spot any time difference between each wing is impossible. You also exclaimed. 'not how a pigeon flies!!!', it's not designed to look like a flying pigeon, it's supposed to represent a landing pigeon, again with the timer, a few flaps as the bird lands or moves about in the feeding flock. so in my opinion, you've never seen one in action, can't make sweeping statements, capped off with exclamation marks and smiley faces, and not expect to get a reation from someone who knows the machine inside out, and uses it on a weekly basis, and designed it!... And that Bakerboy, answers your question as well.:) whether or not Beretta will own up or deny a vested interest in his flapper of choice is yet to be seen.

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been shooting pigeons today!! Ok, my perception of the FF is that it looks like a Mexican wave and I can see the wings moving slightly out of alignment with each other. I appreciate you may not like the observation, but to me it is clear as day when I watch any of the videos. Incidentally, in the video where the device is assembled, it also looks like it will shake itself to pieces if the timer didn't stop. As for looking like a landing pigeon, I would respectfully suggest you review the anatomical activity of the pigeon in flight. Just as it lands, it spreads and flares its tail feathers - they act as an air brake. Your product actively clusters the tail feathers, so not sure what that's all about.

The flappers I recommended is the same model I have had for the last 10+ years. I don't remember where I originally brought them from, but the company in my original post is the first place I have seen the same model for sale in many years. I know nothing about the company, other than they sell a flapper model that has given me many reliable years of service.

as a neutral observer to this 1 you clearly have a conflict of interest....I have no problem with that,but if stated with 1st post,for me would have been helpful.

..as someone who has gone off magnet am in market for flapper/s.........impartial opinions of users will influence my purchasing...it is just working out what/who is impartial!! I have nothing for/against any flappers at this point....has anyone tried both types?.....my guess on Berettas06 is that a man who buys 3 perazzis in a year is involved in commercial ventures a bit bigger than flogging the odd pigeon wobbler.........

I do not (and have never) have any interest (financial or other!!!) in any decoy manufacturing company. I work for an oil supermajor in senior management, which allows me to fund my passions in life. My chosen quarry is actually grouse, but pigeon are a good practice ground, don't have a closed season and we always have them on the farm.

My opinion was made as a genuine one, I am sorry if the manufacturer has taken the hump about it.

I'm going to post here, and say that it's completely not on for Christopher Polumbos to be giving the thumbs up to his product and indeed the phrase "get the ff4" without declaring in the same post, that he was the person who designed it and indeed sells it, this is a massive conflict of interest. Anyone reading the topic should now be able to see the conflict and take what he has written and consider the value of it in light of the fact that he is the one selling this product.

Bakerboy I know that you don't have an interest in the product, but I have to admit I'm surprised that you replied in bold to the question of which flapper the original poster should get by saying "get the ff4" in the first reply on this topic. But then go on to say that you haven't actually really used it in the field - "Does it bring birds into the pattern? I am not sure yet, like most other people on PW I am also suffering from a lack of pigeons."

At the end of the day many decoying products will work. Movement in the pattern can be very important, and there are a variety of ways to achieve this. Flappers certainly do work well, and we have two advertisers on Pigeon Watch: http://www.ukshootwarehouse.co.uk and http://www.a1decoy.co.uk - both of these have excellent customer service, competitive prices and offer an exclusive discount to Pigeon Watch members - see the pinned topics here to get the discount codes: http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/forum/6-pigeon-decoying-equipment/

Quite enjoyed reading all this,hearing both sides ect with a twist and a ban thrown in at the end! Luckily I am not in a position where I need to choose between different flappers or indeed even between a magnet or flapper. I fell at the first hurdle and bought two pro- flap decoys mistaking them for bouncers; so now I have no choice but to buy a magnet! :)

I'm going to post here, and say that it's completely not on for Christopher Polumbos to be giving the thumbs up to his product and indeed the phrase "get the ff4" without declaring in the same post, that he was the person who designed it and indeed sells it, this is a massive conflict of interest. Anyone reading the topic should now be able to see the conflict and take what he has written and consider the value of it in light of the fact that he is the one selling this product.

Bakerboy I know that you don't have an interest in the product, but I have to admit I'm surprised that you replied in bold to the question of which flapper the original poster should get by saying "get the ff4" in the first reply on this topic. But then go on to say that you haven't actually really used it in the field - "Does it bring birds into the pattern? I am not sure yet, like most other people on PW I am also suffering from a lack of pigeons."

At the end of the day many decoying products will work. Movement in the pattern can be very important, and there are a variety of ways to achieve this. Flappers certainly do work well, and we have two advertisers on Pigeon Watch: http://www.ukshootwarehouse.co.uk and http://www.a1decoy.co.uk - both of these have excellent customer service, competitive prices and offer an exclusive discount to Pigeon Watch members - see the pinned topics here to get the discount codes: http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/forum/6-pigeon-decoying-equipment/

I have three Flappers by different manufacturers. The one I like for build quality and ease of use is the FF4 albeit new to me.

I have used it in the field , and yes I have not had a success with the Flapper, but then there were no birds around.

I post what I hope are honest and factual opinions. When I stated get an FF4 in bold ( bold being an error on my part) possibly I should have backed it up with a little substance, this I have done in the following post.

I have "really used it in the field" albeit without success, but I believe if I had poured a mountain of seed on the ground I would not have had any more success.

Maybe for the future I will keep my opinion to myself and leave posting, hopefully helpful, informative and above all "honest" replies to others.

Edit

Just noticed on the following thread that a ban has been thrown in.

Well hopefully it is not me, but how was this ban identified?

Edited by bakerboy

I've been meaning to buy a flapper for a quite a while now so just ordered the one from aadecoys, can anyone recommend a good cheap battery so I dont have to use the one from the magnet.

If you've got a Screwfix shop handy to you I believe they do a 1.2 amp.hour small gel battery for about £11 (cheaper if you get together with some pals and buy 5) This should run a flapper for at least 4/5 hours. I hate paying for postage unless I have to, the usual suspects do the same battery for a tenner but then you've got postage on top.

Be careful what charger you use, I cooked one of these by using an old car charger.

Hope this is some help.

I've been meaning to buy a flapper for a quite a while now so just ordered the one from aadecoys, can anyone recommend a good cheap battery so I dont have to use the one from the magnet.

Webber on the forum is good for batteries.

I have no personal or business interest in "webber" :no: other suppliers are available. :lol::lol::lol:

Mick clearly works for optimate!

I have a sakura 1.5A "intelligent" charger that I bought from amazon. Seems excellent. Will trickle charge the car but also handle 3Ah gel batteries like i have for my FF4 flapper

I neither work or have any pecuniary interests in amazon, sakura or flightline decoys...

Tom

To clarify the situation, "Christopher Polumbos" is a previously banned member who has a financial interest in promoting certain brands of decoying equipment. A quick search of his posts will show that he has been using the account to pretend to be a happy customer in order to plug his products and post negative comments about other manufacturers products.

He has been banned again, as will all future attempts to access the forum as trust has been broken.

Now that is cleared up, please lets get back on topic.

• 3 weeks later...

I eventually bought the ff4,flapper. and I have to say, it's fantastic, I can remove the ground spike, and put it on my bouncer, with a real pigeon, it looked brilliant and did a great job, the wind made it bob up and down so it looked just like a bird coming into my pattern. will be getting another next pay day.

:yes:

The ff4 is brilliant and well worth the extra.I make my own,but if I had to choose a market one I would definitely opt for the ff4 as its built to last.

I have to agree, i like being able to use a real bird and a decoy to get me started, the missus wont have dead pigeons in the freezer, so i can use my hypaflap to get the ball rolling!

I can't understand why polumbos was band,I couldnt give a stuff if he has an intrest in the product, why should everything be bought from AA or A1.Out of the 2, ones reasonable but the other just rips you off with post,example: speed control £3.99 delivery and it wasn't sellotaped to a brick.Oh and it fell apart.

Since I 1st enquired about flappers and the full blown slagging match kicked off,I have started making my own for just a tad over £20 and this includes a battery and timer.Field tested for over 3 8hrs sessions with no issues or battery draining issues.Before anyone kicks off,I am not selling these or intend to.But more than willing to give anyone a parts list.

post-30855-0-19068000-1399447658_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-78285900-1399447669_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-57054600-1399447698_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-68859200-1399447819_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo