Lamping rabbits

Wonder Boy

(for this sake, I am going to refer to your vehicle as a "van")

Well it depends on how you lamp from your van. Do you drive across fields and lamp + shoot what you see? Or do you drive down country roads, with somebody standing on the back of the van lamping into the fields, and when you see something, use your pre-aranged signal to stop the van (i flick the lamp to the side of the road to get the driver to stop). We always use the second method, but never do it to get rabbits, (though we usually pick a few up) we do it for hares. But you should note that we use lurchers, not rifles.

So all-in-all it depends how many rabbits are knocking about the area. We could go to one place where there is loads of rabbits and walk across the land and have a really good night, whereas when we are on the back of the van, we wont pick many rabbits up because we are looking for hares.

But the main factor is, how many rabbits there is around the area. You will probably find that if your driving across the field in your van, you will scare a few rabbits away.

But remember, if your using a .22 rifle (not air-rifle), dont get caught, because your not supposed to shoot at night with them - because them bullets can travel upto 3miles.

Assuming you are using an air rifle, I would say you stand a better chance of getting in range on foot. If you are using a rimfire, then as leon says a vehicle is probably the best option, if you can get on the land.

rabbit hunter, .22 rimfires are legal for use at night as long as you have that condition on your FAC. The same applies to centre fires used for foxing.

Q :yp:

I am not a big fan of lamping as I was once asked to clear some rats from a well known Theatre in London as they had a very bad Rat infestation. I took a good look around and established the runs they were usng and laid some bait then found a vantage point were upon I waited for the show to begin. Sure enough the rats being shy creatures started to come out of hiding and feeding. I switched on the lamp and to my surprise about 20 more rushed into view and started singing phantom of the opera.