First time

I don't get clay grounds at all, though I do get that not all own guns or can just go out and fire them at set distances once groundwork is done just like Action pigeons put down in text so well

Each to their own on this one.All I know is that it has worked for me and many others. Not only is it excellent for an introduction to young dogs but it is fantastic for helping to keep on top of the steady side of things. And it's free cartridges! I estimate my two youngest have heard 10,000 to 15,000 shots during the past 6 months with all kinds of distractions, dummies thrown, tennis balls bounced past them and cold game retrieves between the gunshot.I would be bankrupt if I had to pay for all those cartridges just for training purposes. :lol:

I do exactly as Bazooka and it has worked for me but not all clay grounds are suitable. The nearest to me is on an old aerodrome. I can park 500 or more yds away and walk in to the gunfire and I continue to walk as long as the dog is showing no concern. I have a few treats in my pocket and a dummy, which I throw for the dog. You need the dog to associate gunshot with pleasure and it's not difficult as long as you take time and don't rush.

I never once said that's dogs should be kept were you can hear a pin drop but a shot gun anywere near at 10 months is far to young but that's cause I don't rush things my dog gets introduce when it's ready not when I am no wonder so many dogs end up scared of the gun hearing them so young don't understand why people rush through the important stuff to get to the stuff at the end thats intresting to the owner my labs just turn 2 she been out 9 times in the last 6 month iv introduced her very slow there was no point in doing it any other way and risk the chance of ruining her after a year and a half of hard work

Edited by ian g

That suits you and your dogs and works for you.Ten months might be too young for some to hear a shotgun, especially if no pre work and early conditioning has been done.Each dog will be a bit different but it's just about assessing the dog through the conditioning and being carefull.No person in their right mind would just turn up at a clay shoot with a pup that had no kind of conditioning to noise and sit the pup down next to the guns.That would be a disaster for many dogs that had had no conditioning prior to being exposed to shot.Dare say some will cope easily with that but you would run a much higher risk of frightening the dog if it had no prior conditioning.

Personally, mine start to experience a shoot day around 1 year old.Mixing with other dogs and people and experiencing live game being shot.By this time I want them to have a good experience of gunshot and to be steady around guns.The leader stays on for 90% of the time but it's good experience if done correctly.