Smoking Rats

Paul in North Lincs.

Got a massive rat problem to sort out, starting on Sunday..........we have the vermin control on a huge shoot that has now finished, and it has been crawling with rats all season.......a quick reccy revealed a massive bury about 35 yards long on a raised sandy bank and is honey-combed the whole length with runs and holes, I've never seen anything like it :/ ................there must be hundreds holding up there

A couple of us are going with with 3 terriers, and a gun and are going to try and smoke the blighters out with an adapted petrol leave blower with a flixi hose on the end.......I've Never undertaken such a mammoth rattin job......any tips?:P?:P? :blush:

Well firstly it sounds like your going to have fun :blush:... theres two ways you can takle this. First up is the boring way which is to plug all of the holes so that theres no escape, feed a pipe into one of the holes and fix t'other end to an exaust pipe, stand back and wait with your gun just incase some dig themselfs out, but most should just get sleepy and die. But as i say this method is boring but it is very effective IMHO. The other way is to just do what you are planning, but i would plug some holes so you can channel them out of a concentrated area. That way you will be able to kill more as they wont be getting out all over the place :P I've done this in the past to good efect and it's good fun if nothing else. My semi barrel was hot :/... Good luck and dont shoot the dogs :P

I'm doing a similar job tomorrow, ratting with the old smoker and 5 or 6 terriers. Another good smoking device is them smoke tablets (get them from plumbers merchants) they belch out some proper smoke, works a treat. In the past I've poured petrol down the holes and burned the little ******** out (watch out for the haystacks though!!) :) Ratting with dogs is excellent sport.

• 2 weeks later...
Blow marijuana smoke down the holes. The THC is toxic to rats and you can have a good time in the process

before you ask ;)

http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/courses/bio204/rat_liver.jpg

Blow marijuana smoke down the holes. The THC is toxic to rats and you can have a good time in the process

before you ask :D

http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/courses/bio204/rat_liver.jpg

Got a massive rat problem to sort out, starting on Sunday..........we have the vermin control on a huge shoot that has now finished, and it has been crawling with rats all season.......a quick reccy revealed a massive bury about 35 yards long on a raised sandy bank and is honey-combed the whole length with runs and holes, I've never seen anything like it :lol: ................there must be hundreds holding up there

A couple of us are going with with 3 terriers, and a gun and are going to try and smoke the blighters out with an adapted petrol leave blower with a flixi hose on the end.......I've Never undertaken such a mammoth rattin job......any tips?:lol:?:/? ;)

bike clips :D

I went smoking rats this morning.The way we did it was,mix petrol and diesel,fill a weed killer spray with this and squirt it down the holes.Then have a long piece of copper pipe with a piece of rope soaked in diesel on the end.When the man with the spray has finished light the rope and put it in the hole.When the rats come out the terriers had them.We ended up with approx 50 rats this morning.

The most recent issue of either Sporting Gun or Sporting Shooter had an article on a device which used Propane and oxygen and a long nozzle.

You basically filed the hole with this mixture with the long wand and then switch of the gas, and using the wand again ignite from a safe-ish distance.

It doesn't kill by burning but by the shock wave.

But, looked pretty expensive and and heavy.

/Mad

The most recent issue of either Sporting Gun or Sporting Shooter had an article on a device which used Propane and oxygen and a long nozzle.

You basically filed the hole with this mixture with the long wand and then switch of the gas, and using the wand again ignite from a safe-ish distance.

/Mad

The rodenator was in Sporting Shooter. :good:

FM :good:

Over a distance that long you could be dealing with several burrow systems which may not be connected.

So, get a bunch of straight twigs and walk the bank poking a stick in every hole so that you can see it. Then walk the opposite way to check that you didn't miss any. Each burrow will cover an area of about 10 metres so block up all the holes leaving one to blow exhaust in and one for the dogs/guns to mark in each secton.

Start up the engine and pipe the exhaust down the hole. A few drops of oil into the exhaust pipe before you fire up increases the amount and visibility of the smoke.

As long as you've got all of the clear exits covered, you shouldn't have a problem. If you don't see any smoke coming out of a hole, it could be a disconnected burrow so move on to that one once you think you's flushed the first one.

/Mad

IVE SEEN THIS DONE WITH A ROOFERS TORCH (costs about £35

/Mad

IVE SEEN THIS DONE WITH A ROOFERS TORCH (costs about £35

Rob knock your caps lock of there is no need to shout and welcome to the site :P:good: