Interview at the Police Station for Shotgun Application

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now when first reading this thread i though it was a friend of mine posting.

Im in nottingham and so is my friend. I have SGC (2 years ago) and FAC (1 year ago) with only home visits etc but a friend of mine applied for his SGC about a month ago and he got asked to go to the police station for an inverview only last week. so wonder if its a new thing in notts.

Hope all goes well.

Michael

I just got my SGC from Nottinghamshire Police. The process was standard, and there was nothing out of the ordinary. The whole thing took about 9 weeks, and the (very friendly) officer didn't suggest there were new processes in place etc. Very odd!

Dear All,

I have checked this out and there is no standard policy for all applications etc to be called for an interview. However they will call you in if there is anything on your application, past police record, or report from your GP they they wish to discuss and give you the opportunity to put your side of the story as it were.

David

Dear All,

I have checked this out and there is no standard policy for all applications etc to be called for an interview. However they will call you in if there is anything on your application, past police record, or report from your GP they they wish to discuss and give you the opportunity to put your side of the story as it were.

David

And the reason this cant happen at the standard home visit is???

Being interviewed under caution does not mean an offence might have been committed, it means that a police record of what is said will be kept and may be used subsequently, i.e. what you say may be used in evidence.

I believe it is only after interviews that the police will decide whether an offence has been committed.

I was so interviewed, against legal advice, in what might have been a case of corporate manslaughter. It was obvious that it could not have been such but the police were looking for a prosecution and neglected to examine the basic facts correctly. Very sad circumstances but the willingness of the Police to look to blame others was my reason for agreeing to be interviewed. Never heard a thing after and never expected to.

I beg to differ. There has to be a suspicion of an offence being committed before any caution.

(a) Cautions - when a caution must be given (taken from Code C section 10)
3.1 A person whom there are grounds to suspect of an offence (see Note 2) must be
cautioned before any questions about an offence, or further questions if the answers
provide the grounds for suspicion, are put to them if either the suspect’s answers or
silence, (i.e. failure or refusal to answer or answer satisfactorily) may be given in
evidence to a court in a prosecution. A person need not be cautioned if questions are
for other necessary purposes e.g.:

It is not a personal caution, it is a warning that information which may form evidence that you are cautioned about, since you must be so cautioned if the testimony given is to be valid in court. What you have quoted is a personal caution. I was a shotgun owner at the time and surprisingly not an idiot - have you given testimony under caution. Thought not.

There is some confusion between 'a caution' and 'the caution' here. What Gordon has quoted is PACE code G and refers to caution before questioning and not a 'personal caution' as you've put it Kes, so is the relevant information in relation to what is being discussed. A police or official caution is given as a form of judicial disposal instead of being charged and going to court etc and is entirely different.

In relation to whether Gordon has given evidence under caution, I suspect we're in a similar job so tend to give cautions rather than receive them! But yes, I have done so for one matter.

Edited by jimmyb79

Well I was interviews under police caution and the interview taped. Was advised I could walk out at any time and have a legal representative at my own cost. Tbh I wasn't majorly concerned as I knew I had done nothing wrong.

I was asked the general questions that I guessed your asked on a FEO visit like why do you want a shotgun etc.

The reason I was told to come in and was interview under police caution was there was some intelligence from back in 2011 that my partners car was linked to a altercation with a woman at a pub in Mansfield. Obviously the description of the male involved didnt match myself so they wanted to try and rule me out of it. Came to the conclusion that my partners car had had her number plates cloned onto another car or that the registration given by the lady was incorrect and flagged up my partners car.

The thing I don't understand is why then didn't investigate this 3 years ago and come knocking on our door?

They are happy with my stories etc and are now going to pass my information on to the FEO to make a decision on my license. Been told ill receive a letter within the next few weeks granting or not granting me a license.

Fingers crossed!

Matt

Well I was interviews under police caution and the interview taped. Was advised I could walk out at any time and have a legal representative at my own cost. Tbh I wasn't majorly concerned as I knew I had done nothing wrong.

I was asked the general questions that I guessed your asked on a FEO visit like why do you want a shotgun etc.

The reason I was told to come in and was interview under police caution was there was some intelligence from back in 2011 that my partners car was linked to a altercation with a woman at a pub in Mansfield. Obviously the description of the male involved didnt match myself so they wanted to try and rule me out of it. Came to the conclusion that my partners car had had her number plates cloned onto another car or that the registration given by the lady was incorrect and flagged up my partners car.

The thing I don't understand is why then didn't investigate this 3 years ago and come knocking on our door?

They are happy with my stories etc and are now going to pass my information on to the FEO to make a decision on my license. Been told ill receive a letter within the next few weeks granting or not granting me a license.

Fingers crossed!

Matt

glad it worked out for you. sounds like they were on a fishing expedition.

shame it wasted of your time.

Glad its all sorted.... My FEO (when he came to my house for the interview) was very interested to see my wife straight from the off.... :drool:

This was because the previous (female) tenant of the house I bought was a junkie scumbag with a rap sheet as long as your arm for everything from shop lifting to GBH.

He said that there was a possibility that I could have married her :sick: !!!!!! and that he'd seen stranger things! He had brought her records with him and there must have been 20 sheets for A4 paper.

Needless to say that after seeing my wife he was put at ease....

But like he said he has seen and heard of some wierder situations.

Cheers Jeff