Lamping in the rain

Shooting2

Depends how hard its raining, rabbits will be feeding unless its hammering down, the main problem is refraction of light back through the scope especially in fog. A good windy night with some cloud is ideal but usual a bit of rain ends up with these ingredients.

A lot will depend on how long its been raining and how hard. I tend to find if its been a dry day then evening rain put them of feeding (as they will have some food inside).

If you get a heavy rain all day and its lighter in the evening they'll come out. As with all things wild there's no hard and fast rules.

Your other problem is as already said is light reflection and scatter off the rain. White light is the worst red is better orange works best. A lens cloth scope covers and zip lock bag of tissues won't go amiss.

Fog and mist are a stopper. I can remember a night many years ago when I first started to wander I went outside and there was a small amount of mist around the streetlight just down the road. I thought that it would be Ok and off I went to my ground even though it was a bit patchy fog. I used to drive in without lights on and I could see the outline of the buildings all Ok. I parked up and quietly got out and got the backpack light on and loaded the weapon I walked passed the barn and to the first field. I could clearly see the outline of the large oaks and the hedgerow I turned the red light on and I couldn’t see five yards. I changed to white and it was even worse. The glare back was so bad I just packed up and went home. I have never tried it with the image intensifier.

Rain can be shot in but it gets on the lenses and into everything. I don’t go night shooting in the rain anymore. I don’t find it enjoyable and the wet gets into everything. I’m not that desperate or some sort of commando to bother with it. I’ll just go another night

What I have found is if rabbits come well out from their warrens on a dark, dry windy night and it then rains hard while they are out its as if the loose their way home (either that or they decide to sit it out as they are wet anyhow LOL) whatever the situation I have had some very good nights like this as they have less a tendency to bolt for home at the first flash over them.

Last night I was driving across the moor top in thick mist / low cloud and fairly persistent rain, if I had a rifle in the cab at the time I should have taken a fair bag

Foxes in the rain on the lamp? Personally I don't bother much as its too much like hard work and I hunt them on foot, with dogs and hounds in daylight you find most have left the white grass and heather and gone to ground so unless you are out with terriers it is less successful but nothing is completely no hope