Aimzonic moderators

Dunkield

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hearing is unfortunately badly damaged through too much unprotected shooting earlier in life. Even moderated and with Peltor ProTac Electronic ear defenders, it's still getting worse (it seems percussion alone is now enough to continue the degradation). Returning to small and full-bore shooting last year, I consequently sought the 'best' moderator available. In the absence of being able to directly compare side-by-side with other makes (the AimZonic sadly wasn't included in this test), I could but go by the performance on paper. On paper, the AimZonic advertised sound reduction is greater than its competitors, the over barrel design doesn't extend the rifle too much and the medium weight balances/handles extremely well on the end of my Sako A7. I plan to add a Sako 85 in Synthetic Black as soon as I can afford and unless I come across a mod that betters the weight/sound reduction/price balance of the AimZonic, it will again be my chosen option. The Hardy looks like a good mod with db reduction stated as ranging from 22-30 db depending on calibre and ammunition type, against 27-31db for the AimZonic Cyclone Compact. The Hardy is a lot lighter at 290g vs. 395g for the AimZonic (which perhaps explains the lesser sound reduction) and appears ~£14 cheaper. Has anyone tried side-by-side? On paper having not used or seen a Hardy in the flesh, I still err towards the greater sound reduction of the AimZonic.

I have one. Here it is. They are pretty flexible and as long as you have the calibres on your ticket you can order one main mod then get the adapters to fit others, theoretically only having one mod for several rifles.

This weighs just 310gms. Link here. I arranged to get mine through my local RFD at list price, no extra cost.

post-20252-0-02406200-1398520987_thumb.jpg

Did you consider adding the backbox to give even greater sound reduction Thunderbird?

http://www.alanrhone.com/products-aimsport.html

Although tempted by the greatest sound reduction of the Cyclone Plus:

products-aimsport-cycplus-side.jpg

I opted for the slightly lighter/more compact Cyclone Compact:

products-aimsport-cyccomp-side.jpg

I did, but I thought I would see how I get on with the main unit then upgrade if necessary.

What caliber rifles are these made for ??

Up to 9.3mm/.366

I work in the world of silencer production, and know a thing or two about them. I ask you guys a simple question, bar what the manufacturers CLAIM the sound reduction to be have you ever seen independent test data? The firm I work for have invested in a very expensive machine to actually measure LCP...........thats the peak sound of the shot, so I know that most of the data fed to you guys is bull. When you read a review in a magazine , it always states due to lack of test equipment the mark one ear said.............blah blah blah. Utter garbage is what is being fed to you. I often receive and test the competitions moderators and know for a fact this is the case. The base line test unmoderated is often quoted at 160 plus Db in .308.....................this is never the case. A .308 unmoderated peaks at between 150 and 154 Db dependent on ammo. To get the kind of readings you are quoted you would have to take a base line test at the muzzle and then a result at the shooters ear....................smoke and mirrors. The main problem is there is not an industry standard to ensure these somewhat untruthful statements are curbed by. I could I guess follow the main stream and make greater claims on the product than it can ever achieve, thereby boosting sales, but could I live with myself lying to make money..................NO

Traztaz,

I don't doubt your knowledge and have read some of your previous comments with regards to your findings, so what in your opinion after testing with some I asume expensive equipment would you consider to be one of the better noise reducing moderators on the market available.

OK then, I have read the reviews, from that they look very good - so who's got one?

If so, any personal opinions to add?

From the specs they look like the perfect moderator for me, i.e. someone who would rather not have one at all.

Have you looked at the new ASE L 5 allot lighter than the one we already have, thats assuming you still have it.

I work in the world of silencer production, and know a thing or two about them. I ask you guys a simple question, bar what the manufacturers CLAIM the sound reduction to be have you ever seen independent test data? The firm I work for have invested in a very expensive machine to actually measure LCP...........thats the peak sound of the shot, so I know that most of the data fed to you guys is bull. When you read a review in a magazine , it always states due to lack of test equipment the mark one ear said.............blah blah blah. Utter garbage is what is being fed to you. I often receive and test the competitions moderators and know for a fact this is the case. The base line test unmoderated is often quoted at 160 plus Db in .308.....................this is never the case. A .308 unmoderated peaks at between 150 and 154 Db dependent on ammo. To get the kind of readings you are quoted you would have to take a base line test at the muzzle and then a result at the shooters ear....................smoke and mirrors. The main problem is there is not an industry standard to ensure these somewhat untruthful statements are curbed by. I could I guess follow the main stream and make greater claims on the product than it can ever achieve, thereby boosting sales, but could I live with myself lying to make money..................NO

Until the manufacturers adopt a common measure, all we have to go on are their figures Traztaz. Rather than continually telling us how flawed they are, why not help everyone by completing your own independent test as they did with some of the main moderators in this test?

Size and weight are absolutely critical to me, I am a walker not a sitter.

Noise reduction is important too, but the 6.5 isn't that loud to start with, but having said that I have heard two really unimpressive sound mods on 6.5's recently

Decisions, decisions....

it's only money mate you can't take it with you

Until the manufacturers adopt a common measure, all we have to go on are their figures Traztaz. Rather than continually telling us how flawed they are, why not help everyone by completing your own independent test as they did with some of the main moderators in this test?

The problem with the above is that any test data I release would not be independent would it? Everyone knows I have a vested interest in moderators and that I help in the manufacture of them.The things I can tell you after much testing are these. There is no trade off between weight of a moderator and its ability to dampen blast. There is a line in the sand here. If you want massive sound reduction you have to put up with massive weight. If you want ear protection and a balanced rifle it is possible with very little weight. I for one am very much a fan of the little weight and ear protection club. I like my rifle to be balanced, light and not a burden to carry, or hold all day long. I also use it for allot of driven hunting and so balance is of utter importance. I do understand the foxer who sits in a 4X4 and drives his ground and wants to disturb people as little as possible, in this case the heavy quiet moderator has its place. To that end I am also currently looking at development of a heavy quiet moderator. Is is a game of horses for courses, and the most important question you have to ask yourself is" what do I require from my moderator?"

The alloy cans today, if manufactured and hardened correctly do not gas cut, or corrode at all. Steel cans are generally quieter, as long as they are manufactured correctly, but are prone to both gas cutting and corrosion , and you obviously pay the price with weight. That test in the above article is also a little misleading, and I would love to know why a test data page showing the shot strings was not included.

Have you looked at the new ASE L 5 allot lighter than the one we already have, thats assuming you still have it.

I have an ASE on .223, but the 6.5 is still unmoderated Dougy.

Personally I don't really care about noise reduction on paper, if it sounds quieter to me that is all that matters

post-1678-0-70453600-1398632849_thumb.jpg

I have the aimzonic plus on my tikka 223, my son has the aimzonic compact cyclone on his remmy 22-250 and my mate has the new wildcat evolution on his howa, I think the aimzonic range is good.

PS. All bought from Dougy's best mate Mike Norris :whistling:

Reggiegun

Edited by reggiegun

I have one. Here it is. They are pretty flexible and as long as you have the calibres on your ticket you can order one main mod then get the adapters to fit others, theoretically only having one mod for several rifles.

This weighs just 310gms. Link here. I arranged to get mine through my local RFD at list price, no extra cost.

not theoretical thunderpants.

Just sold a pez that was for all the rifles. I have just asked if I can have a 30cal mod so I can use one for all calibres even though the 6.5 is the biggest in the cabinet at the moment.

We all told you to get the reflex on the aimzonic. Works out cheaper as you only need to buy a barrel nut. Now you have to buy the reflex and the connector nut.lol

Can't remember the mod size you bought now.

I have the aimzonic plus on my tikka 223, my son has the aimzonic compact cyclone on his remmy 22-250 and my mate has the new wildcat evolution on his howa, I think the aimzonic range is good.

PS. All bought from Dougy's best mate Mike Norris :whistling:

Reggiegun

Do you have a picture of the rifle in the foreground with the mod off please?

I am assuming the end of the barrel is about where that silver ring on the mod is?

Personally I don't really care about noise reduction on paper, if it sounds quieter to me that is all that matters

Completely understand that, but then surely the only way to judge that is to try one? Happy to give you a shot of mine if desired.

That's great thanks for posting :thumbs:

The sound reduction comment was more, say the difference between - 23db and -27db for example - who knows what that sounds like in the real world?

From what I have read the noise reduction would be more than good enough for me.

At this rate I will have to buy one