Single Shot Single Barrel Thread!!

shanekiely

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

following on from the linked thread in the original post, that was asked to be pinned and refused as it was partly a wanted ad........anyway as their is a pump thread pinned for advocates of pump guns can we please have this thread pinned for advocates of single barrelled shotguns......i have 2 that i use a lot, the baikal with silencer above that is my walking around gun and a boito single 12g that is on the link and i use when ferreting........its lighter and easier to carry than a double or multi shot shotgun, it cost me a tenner....and when bolting rabbits 1 shot is usually all i get chance to take ............

Probably my favourite shotgun is my Webley and Scott bolt action 410.

I get a far better kill:shot ratio with it than my 12bore O/U or my 20bore S/S, probably because you really have to think about the range and the fact that you don't have a followup shot instantly.

I've taken rabbits, magpies, jackdaws, squirrels, and even a fox (last week) with it. Fox was stalked to within 12 yards or so.

Ive a Webley & Scott .410 (1964) .. l find it nice to use and difficult to hit anything with it ... going to strip the varnish off the stock and then "ask for advice on PW lol .. stain or wax etc ?

Wouldn't mind a 20 bore single ... a sort of a halfway house shotgun.

I've stripped mine with caustic soda mix but this was so pungent and I wish i'd have gone for the citricstrip type stuff as it's a lot kinder.

Anyway I used a Johnstons Walnut Stain for two coats (wanted to see the grain still) and I'm finishing with a gloss clear polyurethane varnish.

Apparently the best stuff to use is a 'Colortone' stain and TruOil gloss on top. Loads of youtube tutorials.

My stock as it progresses

So 410 singles are worth it? Im looking at one of these next. Maybe another baikal as I am mighty impressed with the quality of the action. Wouldnt mind having it polished though the release lever can be tough.

Ive a Webley & Scott .410 (1964) .. l find it nice to use and difficult to hit anything with it ... going to strip the varnish off the stock and then "ask for advice on PW lol .. stain or wax etc ?

Wouldn't mind a 20 bore single ... a sort of a halfway house shotgun.

The thing is that a lot of people forget just how tightly choked a 410 is, and the relatively small amount of lead in the cartridges too (2.5" Eley Fourlongs are only 12.5g of shot)

A 410 is either so close that you are killing or missing outright, or so far away that there are huge holes in the pattern that the rabbit/pigeon can be hiding in.

But, learn those limitations, and work with them, and it's a lovely gun to shoot with, and very effective.

As I say, I've killed a fox outright with my 410. That tight choke coming to good use.

If you decided to look at the Webley/Scott bolt action 410s, be aware that the 'normal' single shot ones are only 2.5" chamber. The 'Sportsman' version has a 3 shot capacity, and also has a 3" chamber. But those are a lot rarer too. But you can get Eley subsonic 3" cartridges to reduce the noise if needed with those. Not as good as the moderators, but certainly a reduced noise level.

The thing is that a lot of people forget just how tightly choked a 410 is, and the relatively small amount of lead in the cartridges too (2.5" Eley Fourlongs are only 12.5g of shot)

A 410 is either so close that you are killing or missing outright, or so far away that there are huge holes in the pattern that the rabbit/pigeon can be hiding in.

But, learn those limitations, and work with them, and it's a lovely gun to shoot with, and very effective.

As I say, I've killed a fox outright with my 410. That tight choke coming to good use.

If you decided to look at the Webley/Scott bolt action 410s, be aware that the 'normal' single shot ones are only 2.5" chamber. The 'Sportsman' version has a 3 shot capacity, and also has a 3" chamber. But those are a lot rarer too. But you can get Eley subsonic 3" cartridges to reduce the noise if needed with those. Not as good as the moderators, but certainly a reduced noise level.

I had a single barrelled 410 and loved it, but realised its limitations and as my son had grwon big enough to handle a 12g the need to have a smaller bored shotgun had gone, in essence if up close its a good gun, but i feel that 410's would be a lot better if the chokes were opened slightly and only 3 inch cartridges were used meaning a better spread and a touch more lead, but again a gun is only as good as the person holding it

the 410 is at the top, the two 12g singles underneath it i still own, the 410 i sold to a mate so i can still occasionally use it

222085_10150169919358972_8205689_n.jpg

my Boito single barrel

this is a good gun, well made, 12g with 3inch chamber, is very pointable and easy to swing, good for shooting bolting rabbits

225409_10150179886243972_4255815_n.jpg

here is a day at the end of last ferreting season, me, my lad and his best mate chinese henry, picture was taken by my mate who now owns the above 410.......bolting rabbits with the ferrets, using my two single barreled shotguns my mate had his semi auto with him, but as stated above he never got more than one shot off at a bolting rabbit, before it was out of range, dead, or down another hole.....my lad is holding the Boito and Henry the silenced baikal

13156_10151424112358972_1555745782_n.jpg

Well my Baikal 12g is apparently more full choked than a english full choke too.

I'd love to have a little bit of learning time with the .410 but i am looking at the baikals, possibly a hushpower one!

I love the bare necessity of a single shot.

Limited as previously mentioned with a 2.5" chamber as W&S single shot bolt action gun owner are. There is a 14g cartridge available .. think its a Fiocchi manufactured cartridge. Never fired one, never been able to purchase them, but if l got the chance l'd buy a couple of boxes to try.

l plan on a trip over to "Rainford" apparently there is a good cartridge supplies there. I might get the chance to pick some up. Plus l need some 12 bore cartridges, lead & steel.

Well worth getting hold of a W&S bolt action .410 ... lovely little English shotgun "l shoot poorly with mine" but in return.it does give me pleasure in using it.

I have a Webley & Scott single model 100. Ihit more with that than anything else. Ive a Baikal 12 bore also. In a very good condition. Different in some ways to the model 100. Enjoy both. I haven"t yet, but l.intend on having the Baikal choke taken.out to 3/8 choke.

Might have a couple of hours out after a few crows later this afternoon. Might give the Baikal a run out.

I have two singles an AYA cosmos, very well made colour case hardened action top lever opening with a modern style hammer, its an ejector! Doubtless no firm will make such a thing again. I use it for dog training as its very light, can be cocked and fired one handed while chucking a dummy with my left and even gives that tempting flying empty when cracked open. Has maybe shot an odd crow and such cant honestly remember.

I also have a .410 single Baikal. Its pug ugly but gets a fair bit of work lamping and on vermin around the grounds of the house. I shoot it one handed lamping (lamp in left gun in right), it gets neglected put down on the ground no matter if its wet or rocky and might scratch it. I use a 3" Eley 18 grm load of eith no.6 or no.7 and game and vermin up to the size of a hare up to 30 yards (35 becomes markedly less humane). A very useful thing is a .410 single if you don't get to precious or technical, it goes bang and kills stuff. I have taken it out walking in season but it is at it best on sitters, magpies out of the hawthorns and rabbits bobbing along in the lamp beam. It doesn't do hardly any visible damage other than kill stuff even at 10 yards a bunny is just fine to eat or use as warm game with a young dog. I have a couple of mates and acquaintances who use a cheap single .410 for roadside dispatch of deer but I don't do a lot of that now, I think Lewis Potter? used to radically shorten the Webley bolt gun convert it to a pistol and fit a moderator for such things

Another thumbs up for the mighty Webley Scott Bolt action. Picked mine up for around £50 in really good condition (after sending one back) It's my first choice gun when going after rabbits but comes in handy on corvids when tidying up round farm yards etc

There's a photograph of my old man shooting one as a kid so as you can imagine he was as made up as I was when I bought it.

Edited by hedd-wyn

I have to admit all this talk of 410's makes me miss that baikal 410 I sold to my mate......it was my birthday in march and the wife said I could buy myself another gun, I bought a cheap over and under to use when pigeon shooting and on the rare occasions I go clay shooting, there was a rack of cheap old single shot 410's and I so very nearly changed my mind and bought one of them.......my daughter is 8 now and is a dead on shot with an air rifle (she attends a cadet unit as a junior cadet, is the youngest one there and has 2 inch groupings with a 177 at 15 metres) so I now need to work on the wife as to why our little girl needs a 410 to learn shotgun shooting too ;-)

Limited as previously mentioned with a 2.5" chamber as W&S single shot bolt action gun owner are. There is a 14g cartridge available .. think its a Fiocchi manufactured cartridge. Never fired one, never been able to purchase them, but if l got the chance l'd buy a couple of boxes to try.

l plan on a trip over to "Rainford" apparently there is a good cartridge supplies there. I might get the chance to pick some up. Plus l need some 12 bore cartridges, lead & steel.

You can also get a 'Saga' (not the OAP lot, the Spanish cartridge maker !) 2.5" 14g cartridge - seems a lot of farm suppliers stock them. However, only Eley do fibre wads, everyone else is plastic, and I've got a real bugbear about plaswads, so it's only the Eley for me.