Single Shot Single Barrel Thread!!

shanekiely

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Webley? Tell me more!

I do have another yes, but it has a full hushpower moderator fitted. I still feel guilty about having it butchered, but it was a very cheap gun. Can you tell me about the gun above? It was described as a "deluxe" version and has very, very nice blueing and obiously the colour hardening. Its just the stock that is in the nice walnut.

I saw another GP recently with a 34" barrel. still regret not getting it. As for using them, I do occasionally shoot the one above, but in all honesty its a "cabinet queen"! The hushpower one is used when I shoot near stables.

In my teens I used a 30" GP that was owned by my stepfather and it was switched to my SGC when he passed away two and a half years ago. That was the gun that got me interested in tight choked, mule-like kicking GPs! I no longer have hat one as he asked me to give it to his best mate when he died.

Can I ask what makes you say this is the later Webley made version? The pins through the receiver are held by screws like the other gun above which would point to it being a Greener?

I'd be interested too, my understanding was when Webley took over they introduced the circlip retainers.

When Webley took over greener's GP stock they assembled GP's as Greeners made them.I think they ran out of barrels first and started using their own,yours shootist has no knoxform and is a Webley barrel.The colour hardening was a Webley thing,I would guess your gun is in the 60000 range.

Ahh yes I see. I that now - both the other GPs I've owned had the squared off breach end to the barrel. This one is still a very pretty thing even if it was made after webley purchased the rights. Were the webleys actually deemed to be weaker than the Greener made guns? Its still proofed 1 1/4 Oz I think.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a 34". Think it would be swing well!

I've just got hold of a tiny 9mm garden gun!

It's a single barrel of course in keeping with the thread. Has a similar action to those webley .410's with the bolt and in line striker.

It's french and it's a really nice gun for in the garden - exactly what it says on the tin. That said, I could have probably gone for a .410 for the permission I have so if anyone ever fancies a little swappy :)

I also picked up a very (very) old webley and scott single barrel break open 12 gauge. It's so old looking with a beautiful patina that you couldnt replicate for all the money in the world. Thing is, the barrel is *just* legal length and the thing is so loud I had to put ear plugs under my ear defenders. Big wide spread and loads of fun, external hammer and so on, breaking it brings it to half cock.

I'll whack some pictures up later on as an edit as i'm at work right now.

34" thats one heck of a barrel..........what was the idea in them going that long ......?

Err drey poking? No idea, it may have been a marketing idea by Greener, i.e. "our long barrelled GP is a hard hitting gun", etc. I just think it would swing nicely.

Fracture7 - I'll send you a PM.

Nice to see this thread still going strong but not pinned yet.

Not been shooting as just bought a whippet pup and busy with that....... She is also going to be a "gun" dog, so one shot with the single barrel shotgun and the dog can run it down if I miss ;-)

34" thats one heck of a barrel..........what was the idea in them going that long ......?

There was a theory, a long time ago, that length = strength. (Where have I heard that before)? :whistling:

Anyway, it was reckoned that a long gun meant better patterns and hitting power. Good for fowling etc. Game guns were tending to go that way with 30" tubes.

Then Churchill's came out with their 25/26" barrels and said the light gun would swing much better and the trend went the other way.

So grandalf, does the physics/ballistics add up or not, I thought longer barrels meant the shot stayed in a tighter pattern for longer, thus making it more suitable for longer range ducks and geese....... Or can choke in a shorter barrel replicate that aspect?

Longer barrels make very little difference to velocity in shotguns, all the powder has been burnt and maximum velocity achieved well before exit even from 24" barrels. The tightness of the pattern is influenced by the choke and wad, not by barrel length. This is my understanding anyway.

So grandalf, does the physics/ballistics add up or not, I thought longer barrels meant the shot stayed in a tighter pattern for longer, thus making it more suitable for longer range ducks and geese....... Or can choke in a shorter barrel replicate that aspect?

I think that if you had 2 true bore barrels of different lengths then the longer would throw the denser pattern.

However, chokes affect the pattern enormously.

Modern chokes, after chokes like pattern marster etc, are very effective.

On the other hand they do also increase the barrel length by an inch or two.

I use one on a 26" Benelli for fowling and it is very tight indeed - Only useful for high geese.