Gerry Adams arrested!!

scolopax

It isn't. And its debatable how much its got to do with politics either. They are all thugs and mobsters. Armed political struggle always descends into organised crime and when the political goal has been either been achieved or obviated by democratic process the criminal infrastructure never gets dismantled because it provides a living for too many people.

Very well put.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't. And its debatable how much its got to do with politics either. They are all thugs and mobsters. Armed political struggle always descends into organised crime and when the political goal has been either been achieved or obviated by democratic process the criminal infrastructure never gets dismantled because it provides a living for too many people.

Couldnt agree more with this post.

And Adams will walk free without a doubt!

I am all for getting reveng on bad people who do nasty things but do I think it will help in the long run no all that happens is you turn one bad person in to 10 or more as all of there friends and relatives then feel that they need to avenge what has been done to the friend just look at the mess in the Midle East and think is it worth it.

I shouldn't have to make this point, but why are these topics still being facilitated by the mods? Nothing good ever comes out of them.

Because, perhaps naively, we would really like all topics to be open for debate on here, so every now and then we try to let things run in the hope people will be sensible.

When things stay sensible, it gives us something we can point to to say "look, this is the quality of discussion that can happen when people think before they post rather than just spewing bile", in the hope that over time members will start taking a bit more responsibility for what they post rather than just churning out cack and then blaming us when we have to lock things down.

We have had some great threads on some very contentious matters that have gone for 15-20 pages recently. It is up to the members whether these threads are interesting debates or hate filled dross. If it goes in the bin it will be because it turned into the latter.

Gerry Adams arrested!

Could have nothing to do with the fact that Sinn Fein are on the cusp of making sweeping electoral gains in the European and Local elections in the South.

Or maybe the fact that the police have been given evidence that they have to act on, we all know Adams is up to his neck in it and has far more blood on his hands than Macbeth.

I could talk all day about hutchinson, wright and stone, and the oppressive nature of unionist politics etc, and I suspect if I came onto this forum and started to slate these people I wouldn't last too long. Seems like double standards are acceptable here.

If they do finally nail Adams for something can McGuinness be far behind?

Not going into details, but if anyone alive has or had reason to hate McGuinness, it's me. I'd have quite happily thrown the switch or released the trapdoor under him myself for a long time.

However, hate serves no purpose, it only destroys. I was invited to meet with him privately a few years ago, on several occasions. Eventually, I agreed to, and during our meeting we had a long, open and very frank discussion.

I honestly believe he has real remorse for what he (and others) did, and that the past haunts him as much as it does me, and plenty like me.

Maybe something like the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa would have worked in NI, I doubt it.

Should he face trial for what he's done ? I don't know. But the meeting managed to open the door to me to forgiveness and reconciliation. That has probably healed more than any trial ever could have done.

I could talk all day about hutchinson, wright and stone, and the oppressive nature of unionist politics etc, and I suspect if I came onto this forum and started to slate these people I wouldn't last too long. Seems like double standards are acceptable here.

Dancake, I must admit to not knowing who these men are, what have they done?

Up the Ra! eh Dancake :ninja:

No I think you have a very good point, comparing phsycopathic serial killers like Billy Wright and Michael Stone with Adams :good:

If you don't like this forum, no doubt you can find one where there is some pity for Adams and his ilk. in any event, we're talking about a topical news story - the arrest, at long last, for the murder of a Roman Catholic mother of 10. It seems and all-Papist story to me, so why play the religion card?

Don't let the door slam on the way out...

The people you mention are not in power. My issue is that the unionist population have never voted in any significant way for a terrorist group's political wing - the UDP and PUP are and always have been minority groups. The same can't be said for the nationalist population - making a bunch of murdering thugs into a major political force in Ireland is something I don't understand.

When have I ever said that I have sympathy for him? It's a pity when people like you reply in such a negative, condescending way. God forbid someone should have a different opinion than you. Do you only believe in democracy when it's in your favour?

The people you mention are not in power. My issue is that the unionist population have never voted in any significant way for a terrorist group's political wing - the UDP and PUP are and always have been minority groups. The same can't be said for the nationalist population - making a bunch of murdering thugs into a major political force in Ireland is something I don't understand.

It's fairly easy to understand really. For years the Nationalist people were treated as second class citizens, but they were smart enough to educate themselves as a means to end the oppression. When equality became more prevalent, the opportunities to go down peaceful conflict resolution paths presented themselves, and that is why we have power sharing in this democratic society.

Not going into details, but if anyone alive has or had reason to hate McGuinness, it's me. I'd have quite happily thrown the switch or released the trapdoor under him myself for a long time.

However, hate serves no purpose, it only destroys. I was invited to meet with him privately a few years ago, on several occasions. Eventually, I agreed to, and during our meeting we had a long, open and very frank discussion.

I honestly believe he has real remorse for what he (and others) did, and that the past haunts him as much as it does me, and plenty like me.

Maybe something like the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa would have worked in NI, I doubt it.

Should he face trial for what he's done ? I don't know. But the meeting managed to open the door to me to forgiveness and reconciliation. That has probably healed more than any trial ever could have done.

This is a brave and honest post.

Having grown up in Belfast during the troubles I'm not sure what my opinion is. Will it make things better for my friends, parents, sisters, nieces and nephews futures if he's charged?

At one point I'd have had him swinging from the nearest lamp post, but I do think Adams and McGuiness were responsible for the halt in the IRAs terrorist activities.

Nial.

That has probably healed more than any trial ever could have done.

This is a brave and honest post.

Indeed it is, thought-provoking too.

Not going to offer further opinion about the situation as I don't feel qualified or even entitled to, so will leave that for others, but fair play to you robbiep.

I missed this post earlier when scanning through the thread.

Very interesting, thanks for posting Robbie. I too have wondered if some kind of SA style Truth and Reconciliation approach involving all parties including the UK Government might have had a chance.

I too have wondered if some kind of SA style Truth and Reconciliation approach involving all parties including the UK Government might have had a chance.

Truth and Reconciliation approach can work - if everyone participates. In SA the guys right at the top (namely PW Botha and Nelson Mandela) never testified. Their minions did testify (in exchange for immunity) - and implicated the guys at the top, but it isn't quite the same as hearing it from the horses mouth when you want to put the past to rest.

moving words, good man