Pink seed coating on Maize seeds

birdsallpl

Does anyone know if the coating on seeds to prevent infestation during germination is also designed to taste terrible to birds. I have been out everyday this week looking at the same recently drilled Maize which has some spill on it. In the last four days no birds have been near it as far as I can see. I don't think it is the case that they haven't found it. I think there just not interested. I know drilled Maize isn't a great puller in the first place, but not a bird!

Anyone know?

Don't know if it still applies but when drilling down south years ago, there was a warning on pink dressing as it was a poison, sorry can't remember if rodenticide, insecticide, or weed killer, but it did say handle with care. probably wouldn't taste good whatever

Edited by islandgun

Thanks for all the feedback, but does anyone know if the chemical / formulae is also designed to deliberately put birds of eating it?

Doesn`t really matter,if the seed is not in the soil,it`s not going to grow,so the birds aren`t doing any harm.

As others have said it`s anti fungal.

you will have to google it but I think its a variety of things look at game cover maize then look up what the dressings are

our seed for cover plots is in the shed this year it has 3 dressings one is a growth stimulant the other two are for pest

control but bet it don't taste nice.

one of the farms I shoot on has just planted maize with no dressing by mistake ,it was drilled at 11.30 at night by a contractor they found out the problem the next day in the light the farmer has told me to watch it like a hawk as it has no bird protection and they will strip the field in a day when it germinates his words I have never had a good bag off maize only after harvest so will see over the next few days .