Once Fired Hull's ??

I picked up a 1Ton dumpy bag of hull's the weekend from my club 90% 12g but with some 20g, 28g & .410 mixed in, not sure how many of the smaller gauge hull's there are but if anyone would like the smaller gauge hull's they can have them I will be picking up empties on a regular bases in future.

Also my main question was in amongst the 12g ones there are a number of Gordon's Recoil System hulls, can they be reloaded at all?

Oops just read an old thread reference the Gordon's hull's, so ignore the above question lol.

The gordon recoil ones make great stick ferules too :yes:

When you sweat the base off, it gives you a nice metal sleeve.

Just make sure the carts don't get rained on in the bag or at the clay grounds. they rust like hell when they get damp.

I find the majority of 20g cases are the naff eley yellows! I couldn't give them away! Bit the 410 I am sure you will have no problem moving on :yes:

i use virgin.less hassle.

I can see your point cooks!

But the once fired I get are FREE, so save me even more in costs! Granted I need to sort them and check they are split free etc! But they all load fine for me.as long as I pre check them before bagging them up!

I am now sitting with about 8000 once fired hulls! Fiocchi, Hull, Gamebore, Cheddite, Remmington, RC etc. I don't bother with eley, but thats personal choice. I am going to use what I have and they start sticking to Fiocchi and Cheddite hulls for the main part!

Besides, I need some for my projects too, I have 4 sets of lights to make next month! And a few other bits when I get sorted!

But the once fired I get are FREE, so save me even more in costs! Granted I need to sort them and check they are split free etc! But they all load fine for me.as long as I pre check them before bagging them up!

I am now sitting with about 8000 once fired hulls! Fiocchi, Hull, Gamebore, Cheddite, Remmington, RC etc. I don't bother with eley, but thats personal choice. I am going to use what I have and they start sticking to Fiocchi and Cheddite hulls for the main part!

Besides, I need some for my projects too, I have 4 sets of lights to make next month! And a few other bits when I get sorted!

If you have some 20 gauge in 70 mm cases that are not rusty i would buy some from you please

The ones I am getting are also free :good: :good: and Ill be getting them on a regular bases as we go through quite a few between PSG and Clays, they were starting to burn them as we had so many and they will be stored dry for me :) :).

Not sure how many there will be as I will sort them tomorrow, you can have them for free other than postage if you wish :good: :good: .

The ones I am getting are also free :good: :good: and Ill be getting them on a regular bases as we go through quite a few between PSG and Clays, they were starting to burn them as we had so many and they will be stored dry for me :) :).

Not sure how many there will be as I will sort them tomorrow, you can have them for free other than postage if you wish :good: :good: .

thanks very much just let me know how many and what you would like for postage and your time :good:

Johnphilip only got through a third of the bag this Saturday several 20 gauge in reasonable condition all 70mm but not enough to send yet will be picking another load up this Saturday to go through, Vm sorry but all the .410 ones are 2.5 inch although in very good nick.

Cheers Les

Maybe I'm missing something but....

Your interest is in the 12g?

You can get really good fiochi virgin hulls for very little money....

Say 6p each!!! See below

My advice is don't bother! I'll post a photo of the cartridge that was 'once fired' then reloaded that split in my M23 causing damage as soon as I find it.

http://www.####.co.uk/page2.pdf

Edited by shootinfishin

You can get really good fiocchi PRIMED virgin hulls for very little money....

Say 6p each!!! See below

My advice is don't bother! I'll post a photo of the cartridge that was 'once fired' then reloaded that split in my M23 causing damage as soon as I find it.http://www.####.co.uk/page2.pdf

Edited by shootinfishin

Say 6p each!!! See below

My advice is don't bother! I'll post a photo of the cartridge that was 'once fired' then reloaded that split in my M23 causing damage as soon as I find it.

Still a £6 saving over 1000 reloads using once fired!

I check mine when depriming. any split carts get binned. not had a prob with any reloaded once fired splitting :no: I get a few loads out of the Fio's.

It's a £60 saving per 1000 shells ... but I suppose it all depends on what you like doing, and how you value your time, and if you enjoy reloading as a hobby.

Myself, I reload 410 shells - mainly because I hate plaswads, and it's impossible to get a clay cartridge in 410 that is a fibre wad. 2.5" shells, fibre wad, 14g of No. 8 shot. You simply can't get that from any gunshop. I reload shells 2 or 3 times, generally, but the trick is to inspect them properly.

• 3 years later...
On 09/05/2014 at 05:09, Field Shooter said:

The ones I am getting are also free :good: :good: and Ill be getting them on a regular bases as we go through quite a few between PSG and Clays, they were starting to burn them as we had so many and they will be stored dry for me .

check with the cpsa before you burn them especially in any large quantity as I think you can get a heavy fine if caught doing so.

On 5/13/2014 at 18:22, Lord Geordie said:

Still a £6 saving over 1000 reloads using once fired!

I check mine when depriming. any split carts get binned. not had a prob with any reloaded once fired splitting I get a few loads out of the Fio's.

Living in the North the postage kills buying new. I reload once fired cases with no issues to date and like you I get a few reloads out of Fio's cases plus they make best crimps on my MEC's

On 5/8/2014 at 13:11, cookoff013 said:

i use virgin.less hassle.

and a lot more expense?

On 5/13/2014 at 17:49, shootinfishin said:

Say 6p each!!! See below

6p each?  £60 a 1,000....And that,s little money?  In 40 years of reloading, I have never had any damage to my guns.....probably because I check out all hulls before reloading.

7 hours ago, pinfireman said:

and a lot more expense?

6p each?  £60 a 1,000....And that,s little money?  In 40 years of reloading, I have never had any damage to my guns.....probably because I check out all hulls before reloading.

Over the years I have used both methods, new cases or used cases no issue with either but like some say with used cases some recrimp better than others. New cases are quicker to load and look great.

also the 6p for a new cases includes the primer so actual cost around 2.5p for a new case and if you can buy when one of the suppliers has them on offer better still http://www.####.co.uk/soffer.htm then only 1p or £10.00 per 1000 to use new cases with primer.

guess it depends on why you reload to save every last pound or to enjoy the hobby and quality of your own cartridges.

just whish the offer was on 28ga cases once in a while.

Whilst I take your point, It,s a simple, quick job to check out once fired cases,  and, having done so, turn out a quality cartridge. Whilst I enjoy my hobby loading, I  have no wish to pay more for my reloads than I would have to pay for factory loads...that does not make good sense....and it,s a lot more satisfying to  save a few bob !!

I found that a 6 pack of beer passed over to one of the trappers at Xmas,  at each of the three clay grounds I shoot at, gets me  a decent supply of clean hulls,  it,s just the small gauges that are a problem....

On 5/7/2014 at 19:50, Field Shooter said:

I picked up a 1Ton dumpy bag of hull's the weekend from my club 90% 12g but with some 20g, 28g & .410 mixed in, not sure how many of the smaller gauge hull's there are but if anyone would like the smaller gauge hull's they can have them I will be picking up empties on a regular bases in future.

Also my main question was in amongst the 12g ones there are a number of Gordon's Recoil System hulls, can they be reloaded at all?

Oops just read an old thread reference the Gordon's hull's, so ignore the above question lol.

The Gordons can be reloaded, but they can be a pain in the rear.....!  It,s easier to dump them, and stay with standard  hulls.....

9 hours ago, pinfireman said:

Whilst I take your point, It,s a simple, quick job to check out once fired cases,  and, having done so, turn out a quality cartridge. Whilst I enjoy my hobby loading, I  have no wish to pay more for my reloads than I would have to pay for factory loads...that does not make good sense....and it,s a lot more satisfying to  save a few bob !!

I found that a 6 pack of beer passed over to one of the trappers at Xmas,  at each of the three clay grounds I shoot at, gets me  a decent supply of clean hulls,  it,s just the small gauges that are a problem....

The Gordons can be reloaded, but they can be a pain in the rear.....!  It,s easier to dump them, and stay with standard  hulls.....

Why don’t you like  the Gordon system cases ,never had a problem with gamebore or Remington, lovely finish on both.

34 minutes ago, mecman said:

Why don’t you like  the Gordon system cases ,never had a problem with gamebore or Remington, lovely finish on both.

Sometimes the pl;astic has  "squeezed" and it makes the primer insert  harder....also have had primers crushing against the plastic base, not sliding in. When de-priming and case conditioning, the de-primed hull often hangs onto the de-priming tool, slowing things down...