Daystate worth the price tag?

Sloter

Hi guys,

So I've been reading up on different places about PCP's and I have to ask are Daystate worth the asking price? This is not meant to offend anyone who owns one in any way. I am just interested to know if they are really all they are cracked up to be compared to others PCP's? I'd also like to point out I've never shot one just wondering is it something I should consider saving up for one day?

Thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it worth the money?

That depends on your viewpoint, if you want something that looks good, handles nicely and is very accurate then yes, it's worth it.

On the other hand it's still a sub 12 air rifle, it has the same limitations on power as a Hatsan 55 or HW99 but is a hell of a lot more money.

Will it be more reliable or more fun? Will it cost more in repairs in the long run?

It all depends what you want it for and how much money you have to waste.

Personally I wouldn't have one because I think you're paying for the name and future servicing could cost you a lot unless you can find someone else to do it. Save your money, get an HW100 or better still, a pre A/T AA S410 that you can maintain yourself and will outlast you.

Regards

Tim

Had a daystate huntsman classic in .22 flavour, absolutely beautiful rifle and besides being pellet fussy once I found the right ammo it was superbly accurate. I had an AA s410f before, another quality rifle but the Daystates action felt smoother and the rifle itself felt more robust. In my opinion one of, if not the best looking pcp available.

I'm left handed so paid for the privilege on top of an already hefty price tag, is it worth it? Well I wish I never sold it so I'd say yes.

Ok. It depends on which model you are looking at and therefore a comparison with another make. Most pcp's have very good accuracy. Shot count before refill is important to most, walnut stock?, general aesthetics, handle etc. The list is endless. Goe into a gunsmiths with your budget in mind and pick up all the rifles in your budget. Then pick up a Daystate and you will understand why they are worth the asking price :yes:

There will be loads of replies on here saying its just an air rifle and not worth the money, and I could buy 10 if wanted, but my Hatsan is more than anyone would need :lol:

they are in a completely different league :yes:

Is it worth the money?

That depends on your viewpoint, if you want something that looks good, handles nicely and is very accurate then yes, it's worth it.

On the other hand it's still a sub 12 air rifle, it has the same limitations on power as a Hatsan 55 or HW99 but is a hell of a lot more money.

Will it be more reliable or more fun? Will it cost more in repairs in the long run?

It all depends what you want it for and how much money you have to waste.

Personally I wouldn't have one because I think you're paying for the name and future servicing could cost you a lot unless you can find someone else to do it. Save your money, get an HW100 or better still, a pre A/T AA S410 that you can maintain yourself and will outlast you.

Regards

Tim

Thanks Tim, AA S410 over the HW100? Are the pre anti tampers easy to maintain then? Sorry if it's a daft question but don't know much about them.

Thanks

I have had one or two daystates. They're great guns, don't get me wrong. and they do make some gorgeous guns. However I baulked at the new price and bought second hand. Having said that, I've now got a tuned R10 and i like that way more than any of the daystates I've had. Ben W. has a point about the actions, they are very nice indeed but, I just prefer my R10!

Ive often wondered how much better they are.

Ive always owned air arms and found them well balanced and accurate as you like pellet on pellet. Action has always been smooth, never had an issue with any of the ones i have owned.

Must say thou i do like the looks of the hatsan tactical, now that isnt as smooth but the price tag reflects that

Thanks Tim, AA S410 over the HW100? Are the pre anti tampers easy to maintain then? Sorry if it's a daft question but don't know much about them.

Thanks

I would take the S510 over either the 410 or the HW100! Anti tampers are put on guns to stop people bumping the power up over the 12ft/lb, which makes them a pain for responsible people to maintain and set hammer springs and the like. They rather put you at the mercy of gunsmiths/manufacturers should something go wrong. If there's no Anti-tamper, you can do a lot more maintenance yourself, before having to go to a smith as a last resort. Neither of my BSA's have their anti tampers on them. I have a chronograph and always keep my gun legal, so the Anti tampers were just annoying me!

I would take the S510 over either the 410 or the HW100! Anti tampers are put on guns to stop people bumping the power up over the 12ft/lb, which makes them a pain for responsible people to maintain and set hammer springs and the like. They rather put you at the mercy of gunsmiths/manufacturers should something go wrong. If there's no Anti-tamper, you can do a lot more maintenance yourself, before having to go to a smith as a last resort. Neither of my BSA's have their anti tampers on them. I have a chronograph and always keep my gun legal, so the Anti tampers were just annoying me!

So can I remove the anti tampers on most guns? Like you said not interested in making it illegal but more so in maintaining the gun. I need to go and look at a few.

I didn't do it myself, because BSA filled everything that didn't move with threadlock, so I got someone who really knew what they were doing to sort my Ultra SE, and when my R10 came back from the tune, the anti-tamper was removed. You need to know what you're doing to take one off, better to leave it on that ruin the whole gun! I don't even know whether the A/T on Air Arms guns is easily removed

Don't get me wrong the Air Arms was superb, the daystate just felt more refined.

To be honest I think the only difference you'll find between your Air Arms, Weihrauchs, Daystates etc is opinions. And these are very individual. They are all more accurate than the person behind them, they are all engineered beautifully, aesthetically pleasing and ruddy expensive.

So can I remove the anti tampers on most guns? Like you said not interested in making it illegal but more so in maintaining the gun. I need to go and look at a few.

Anti tamper is a system introduced by the AMTA that prevents owners adjusting their power output. Fine to prevent people going over power but it also stops you reducing the power to stay legal.

If you own a gun that goes over power even with A/T fitted YOU are the one that could end up with a criminal record. Stupid law, stupid system.

Don't remove A/T, don't buy a gun with A/T fitted in the first place. If everyone did that then A/T would be gone in a few months.

Look around for a 2nd hand gun without A/T and learn to maintain it yourself, if you're not sure what you're looking for you only have to ask and someone on here will help you out.

Brilliant guns but be prepared to take a huge hit if you go to sell it on, airwolfs are around £1400 new , you will loose about 50% of that selling second hand

Really? Would consider one secondhand but as with all things everytime I look at secondhand guns they always seem to be 10% cheaper than a new one and for that I wouldn't take the risk.

I have seen a few airwolfs sell for around the£700 mark recently online , probably desperate people but £700 for a gun that is £1400 new doesn't make me happy when I have one myself to get rid of

Well let me know I might be intrested :yes::good: I know whatr you mean though I find it's the same with anything I want, when I'm after one of anything they are all selling second hand for nearly the price new then when I come to sell it they are worth next to nothing..... :no:

I have a Mark 3 Daystate, bought primarily for roost shooting due to the fact it makes 11.3 ft lb and with the Decimeater silencer on it it is very very very quiet.

They are no more expensive to service than a normal PCP. In fact it cost less to service my Mark 3 than it would to service my BSA Super 10 (recently had both done).

The trick is not to use Daystate but an accredited Daystate Service Agent (lucky there is one a few miles from my place of residence). Where Daystate charge hundreds, independents charge a lot less, in my case it was over £200 for a full Daystate service, £75 including parts for the independant (it needed a new battery so that was £30 gone).

Guns to look for include the X2 (superb mechanical), Mark 3 (first with the very quiet electronic trigger), Huntsman (earlier models are cheaper).

Edited by secretagentmole

I have a Mark 3 Daystate, bought primarily for roost shooting due to the fact it makes 11.3 ft lb and with the Decimeater silencer on it it is very very very quiet.

They are no more expensive to service than a normal PCP. In fact it cost less to service my Mark 3 than it would to service my BSA Super 10 (recently had both done).

The trick is not to use Daystate but an accredited Daystate Service Agent (lucky there is one a few miles from my place of residence). Where Daystate charge hundreds, independents charge a lot less, in my case it was over £200 for a full Daystate service, £75 including parts for the independant (it needed a new battery so that was £30 gone).

OK thanks for the info, roughley how long do the batteries last?

Batteries last for years-the more you use them the better-I also have a MK3 and I would suggest that you put any worries you may have about the electrics/batteries out of your mind. A single overnight charge back in January and my gun is still shooting perfectly today-at least 500 shots gone and lord knows how many more. As said-get Daystates serviced by trained gunsmiths and NOT by DS themselves-it will save you a fortune. IMHO very nice guns IF money is no object and you like the latest all singing and dancing toys-but in the real world the AA 410, 510 etc will match them all day long.