Pigeon Numbers

Fisherman Mike

Have any members noticed a decline in pigeon populations in their area?

I started Pigeon shooting in the Cotswolds ( Cirencester Area) back in the 70,s and there was then less rape and far more Birds!

I have heard that 4 million plus birds are shot in the UK each year from a population of 6-7 million pairs. Can this continue without some sort of close season?

I dont shoot pigeon (or any bird) during its breeding cycle as I feel I am then contributing to their recovery. Any comments.

Mike,

I don't believe Pigeon numbers have declined in my shooting areas, Herts / Beds / Bucks, if anything they've increased, as there is now more winter food about in the form of rape than ever before.

I also don't believe that shooting has a major impact on numbers, as the breeding season seems to have extended from March to November as the food supply is more plentiful.

The biggest threat to Pigeon numbers is prolonged winter snow cover which deprives the birds of any food at ground level to eat. Can you remember the bad winter of '62? - The birds were literally dying in their thousands from starvation, with any greenstuffs above the snow, i.e. Kale, Sprouts being chewn to bits.

I can only recall one other spell of bad winter weather in the early '80's that came anywhere near that winter, and the birds were so hungry that gas guns and shooting were no deterrent in keeping them off the rape that was above the snow.

The close season debate has been discussed many times on PW, most people have the attitude that they ought to be shot throughout the year, my personal preference is to ease off during the summer months as a lot of wounded birds can be lost in standing crops, the blowflies get them as soon as they hit the ground, and also I enjoy clay shooting competitions more than Pigeon shooting during the Summer months.

I have certainly shot pigeons sitting on the ground and also, sitting in trees.

As I have crows, magpies, jays, squirrels and other vermin.

Amongst the many pigeon shooters I know, I can,t think of one who does differently.

I wouldn,t shoot winged game and wildfowl on the ground, but I don,t consider them vermin.

I go along with HH on this one, the Pigeon numbers in Fife are certainly not in decline. I don't think that shooting has much effect on the population, at least not up here, but then i supose there are a lot less pigeon shooters for the area of ground than compaired to down south. The pigeon that nested in the holly bush in front of my dads house last year had 3 broods, the last leaving the nest in October.

Suffolk is showing no decline that I can see.

We've had a few more stubble fields left out this year than there were last year (Wife is happy because she can take the horse on them) and the pigeons seem happy to root around in them.

Every time I go out with the gun I see large flocks and even our stables has about 40 or so regular birds that feed on the paddocks.

Mind you, a lot more people are growing rape now than they were.

Which reminds me, I must break out the netting and the decoys soon. The freezer is stocked with rabbit, but low on pigeon

Wookie

In my area, I have found no decline but a significant increase in bird population. More recently, a wood (about 15 acres) not far from my home has been the roost to some 3000 birds. This has significantly increased during the past two years to what I can approximate now at about 5000. These birds have been primarily feeding on two fields of rape about 1 mile from the wood. On occasions in a good wind (30mph+) I have been fortunate enough to catch some of these birds crossing my paddock.

I shoot in south west Cornwall and over the last 4 years have seen a steady decline in the pigeon population, this winter I have not seen many at all, the odd flock of about 20, and as soon as you have a go at them their gone.

But it wont stop me going out, It can only get better I hope. :)

pigeon numbers are steadily declining where i live in Lurgan.

too many people shooting,no rape fields and most stubble already ploughed

and winter barley sewn.

on the subject of birds feeding when the ground is either frozen or covered

with snow,here the birds feed alot on ivy berries when it's cold.

Don't think the population has gone down in my area(Herts,Beds).Not a huge amount around at the moment but more are start to flight closer to my shooting spots,best time in my area is may/june and/or october/november.Still getting fairly good bags except this weekend lol(4 woodies,my fault).

yis andy.

• 4 weeks later...

hi lads most pigions are in town in my front garden or grass verges ? I find that numbers are still high , next point im glad that they are vermin, if not you and I would have to join a sindicate as thay would become a game bird , the farmer`s land I shoot on told me that crop damage as cost 5000to 10000 k in a year and still large numbers have been shot and for me its been free fo 25 years so I cant complain keep it as it is

shoot in surrey/kent and numbers are staying steady.woods opposite my house are teeming with pigeons.trouble is it is a "bird sanctuary" so no shooting=the only birds in there are woodies,magpies and crows.did see a blackbird once though.local councils,dont you just love em ? :D