Spare gun?

Will Poon

I do have one or two available but I've never had a problem shooting any sort of gun. I'm basically left hand but I can shoot left or right and from o/u single trigger to a sbs with double trigger so if I need to change I dont find it a problem at all. It's just a tube to point at things.

I have two 20 bores. The first, a Miroku Mk 60 was multi choked and fitted by Nigel Teague. Some years later after a minor windfall I bought a Beretta SP 20 bore. The fit was different so I took both to Nigel Teague who matched the pair. The balance between the two is marginally different and my favourite remains the Miroku. So, I am not worried if one ever needs to go away for repair work as was recently the case -I damaged the chequering on the Miroku - as I have an almost identical gun to fall back on.

I have a composed pair of silver action 682s that I've used for game but I'm also happy to bash clay with either gun.

However I still like most prefer one gun of the pair and shoot it more than the other.

Hi

Had a few pairs and found the same with all of them

Current pair seem to favour the number 2 gun

However on a hot peg double gunning I have never seen any difference so I think it may be in our minds

All the best

Of

Yes. The point was made clear to me last year. My usual fowling gun took a bit of a swim one day (as did I) Had I not had a back up I'd have missed the first pheasant shoot as I'd sent it off to be dried out at the gunsmith.

That said, I shot badly as they weren't matching or anything close. Browning ou and Beretta ou. The Beretta has gone now - replaced by another Browning.

Edited by Big Al

I don't have two the same as one will just sit there doing nothing. That said my super mag 12 ga can do duty in place of the ten with the 3 1/2" loads and vice versa the 10 can do the same for that gun using a lighter load of no.2 steel. If I am shooting the flashes I have an open choked 3" magnum s/s that can take the place of the super mag auto with the norm 3" duck loads etc. A true matched pair is not my thing

With rifles its very different as you don't want two that are very closely matched or you will just favour one and have one sat doing nothing, in law it might even be difficult to prove good reason. The nearest I ever came was having the .243 win and a slightly larger calibre deer rifle. I think the trick in the UK with rifles is having minimum overlap, though if I stalked as much as I used to I should still have two deer rifles as it sometimes takes a fair wait and cost to get them fixed compared to shotguns. Couldn't use "spare" as good reason though so that's when the myth that .243 win isn't great for big deer comes in handy

I have a Silver Pigeon 3 sporter, one of the limited edition ones with extra engraving and grade of wood. When my dad gave up shooting he gave me his standard SP 1, it's a game gun with shorter barrels, so if I am going to be walking round all day with only a few expected shots I'll take that. I do shoot better with the heavier 30" barreled gun though, but both are similar enough that it doesn't make a huge difference.

I have two rifles, a .243 and a .270 both used for stalking, but when lamping I use the .243 and when in need of something bigger I use the .270 even though they are both conditioned for vermin, ground game fox, deer and any other legal quarry( don't know why they don't just say" deer and AOLQ).