Rav 4 - Any Achillies Heels?

Frenchieboy

I'm thinking of getting another 4X4 for when I can get out shooting as my poor little Clio is getting a little tired and is not up to visiting some of the farms I go to. I am currently looking at a Toyota Rav 4 (2 litre petrol) which is priced at around what i can afford. It is in good condition to look at with no rust and I am told that it is mechanically very sound with no known faults and has a tow bar fitted, and it has a long test on it.

I don't know much about the Rav 4 so what i would like to know from any of you Rav 4 owners (Past and present) is if the Rav 4 has any "Achillies Heels" (Common faults) so to speak that I should be on a careful look out for guys.

Any advice or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I had a two litre diesel from new on a 53 plate. Did 139 K miles in it over nine years. Top motor, nothing went wrong. There is a cam service due at about 80k I think and this was a bit pricey at 400 quid. Only annoying fault was the back door didn't open fully (opens to the side) so it was a bit restrictive loading up.

wife has one on an r plate I think so very old, done 140k miles only issues I have had are slight weep on the rad which we sorted without replacing the rad and the heater controls failed (needs a rubber band replacing ever three months - the spring got to weak to return the control)

loading is a pain due to door design but I have had washing machines in the back with only a grazed knuckle or two.

good motors easy to work on and sort if you are that way

I've a mk2 and my dad a mk1. Both are 2l petrol and all wheel drive. In three years the mk1 has required nothing more than regular service parts - exhaust, cam belt and water pump, and some flexi brake hoses. All apart from the exhaust were the originals lasting 110k miles.

The mk2 has done similar miles and has needed a gear linkage cable over and above the regular service stuff.

They are a doddle to work on when needed and the parts are relatively cheap. The only down sides to them are their thirst- 25mpg - and the wheels seem to be made of kit kat wrappers. On both the paint it peeling from the wheels, but we use them as tools so it's not an issue.

If you get the petrol one you have to go 2l for the all wheel drive. The mk2 is also a chain driven cam should that make any difference to you. I would reccomend one but you have to put up with a few 'hairdresser' comments.

Edited by 4eyes

Pleased with mine, 05 D-4D XT3 diesel. Only had it a couple of months, so a little early to pass much comment. 48-55 av. mpg on a daily two way 60 mile motorway journey at a steady 70mph, good turn of speed and acceleration.

I like the fact that the back seats come out giving great load space and it has all the toys as standard.

My only gripe is that there is not much feedback through the wheel, and the steering feels very light with a touch of oversteer, but I have just come from 10years of driving (and repairing) Freelanders.

Pleased with mine, 05 D-4D XT3 diesel. Only had it a couple of months, so a little early to pass much comment. 48-55 av. mpg on a daily two way 60 mile motorway journey at a steady 70mph, good turn of speed and acceleration.

I like the fact that the back seats come out giving great load space and it has all the toys as standard.

My only gripe is that there is not much feedback through the wheel, and the steering feels very light with a touch of oversteer, but I have just come from 10years of driving (and repairing) Freelanders.

Ours runs at 36 at best but that's at 80 to 85 I've not had the time or patience to go slower, even round locally it's no higher, that's an 09. Goes like stink though for a diesel 4x4

Alex, my figures are according to the trip nav, I assume it's accurate.

In fact it reminders me of an MkII XR2 I had in the early 90's.

Steering wheel could do with being a bit chunkier too.

Ours runs at 36 at best but that's at 80 to 85 I've not had the time or patience to go slower, even round locally it's no higher, that's an 09. Goes like stink though for a diesel 4x4

Mine does that around town and get 45 on a run :yes: beats a 2lt golf too :lol:

Clutch and flywheel seems to be a problem in these. My father has had to get his done (derv d4d engine)

same for my dads D4-D, but that may be specific to the D4-D. My dads had a first gen and now a 2nd gen iirc

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/rav4/reliability

quite capabel off road too

My dad loves his and would have another but they stopped the SWB and he prefers them to the LWB and they are very comfy nice to drive fidn a good independant toyota mechanic and bills are not bad, being 4x4 and 2.0l it wont be as economical as the clio but the first gen petrol he had 2.0l wasn't heavy on fuel.

Edited by HDAV

Thanks for all of your thoughts guys. The one I am looking at is one of the older ones (S Reg) and I have had a good friend who is quite a experienced mechanic offer to come and give it a "good going over" for me before I buy it.

Not the 03 one on here for £1800 then?

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/282269-2003-rav4-one-more-try/?fromsearch=1

Mk1 LWB? 2.0l, uk car or import?

My dad had SWB awesome bit if kit check if it has the lift out moon roof, ideal for lamping! The mk1 was no trouble until some muppet rear ended it and wrote it off!

Edited by HDAV

• 2 weeks later...

Frenchieboy

I am in same situation and looking for 4x4 to go shooting and drag some stuff around. have you look in to Nissan terrano 2 . its diesel 2,7 tdi bit beter on fuel than 2l petrol and its proper 4x4

and for me its cheaper to insure.

just idea.

mk1 and mk2 are both full time 4wd. mk1 will have a diff lock too.

never managed to get my mk2 stuck yet.

d4d 2.0 will give you 35 ish on a run and a lot less running around town.

mainly due to the permanant 4wd but its as safe as houses in any weather.

dont believe the onboard thingy it lies like a cheap watch.

come visit us here if you have any questions

http://forum.rav4driversclub.com/?sid=11a587dcdd13905d76b8b4285dab08ca

mk1 and mk2 are both full time 4wd. mk1 will have a diff lock too.

never managed to get my mk2 stuck yet.

d4d 2.0 will give you 35 ish on a run and a lot less running around town.

mainly due to the permanant 4wd but its as safe as houses in any weather.

dont believe the onboard thingy it lies like a cheap watch.

come visit us here if you have any questions

http://forum.rav4driversclub.com/?sid=11a587dcdd13905d76b8b4285dab08ca

Just watch out for some mk1 imports RAV4L which are 2wd only uk cars iirc are 4wd

• 2 weeks later...

Had one the same era you are looking at Frenchie...it got me everywhere. Had it during the bad snow a few years ago...never got stuck once.

Push button diff lock was the business.

Didnt have a low ratio box like other 4x4 but to be honest I never got to the point where I could have needed it as it coped with everything I threw at it.