favourite books

islandgun

In another thread a book was mentioned "the man who planted trees" which got me thinking about my favourite books and if anyone has recommendations. I like

The old man and the sea ( Ernest Hemingway)

Catch 22 (Joseph Heller)

Puckoon (Spike Milligan)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catch 22 (Joseph Heller)

Oh my god I hated this! I ranted and moaned all the way through until my wife banned me from talking about it - I thought there were a couple of great chapters interspersed with repetitive and boring tosh - I may well be in the minority though

I absolutely loved 'I am Legend' and would reccomend to anyone, it's short but a thousand times better than the awful will Smith film

Through the magic of Kindle, I rediscovered the Richard Hannay novels by John Buchan - which I had not read for at least 50 years.

Although Buchan's casual racism seems shocking nowadays, his descriptions of shooting and climbing in the Highlands look authentic.

Puckoon (Spike Milligan)

I love Spike Milligan books I am an avid collector I have 76 of his books Puckoon being the book that started me of and the bible according to being the second.

Then you cant beat Stephen fry's The liar. Brilliantly written and very gripping oh and annoying but you will struggle to put it down.

Oh my god I hated this! I ranted and moaned all the way through until my wife banned me from talking about it - I thought there were a couple of great chapters interspersed with repetitive and boring tosh - I may well be in the minority though

I absolutely loved 'I am Legend' and would reccomend to anyone, it's short but a thousand times better than the awful will Smith film

Aye I don't think i would find it as entertaining now as I did 40yrs ago, I will look out for I am Legend

got to be Lord of the Rings by Tolkien re read it over n over piddles on the filums.also We were Soldiers once,the mel gibson film nearly does it justice.a great read about the loss of innocence about war .cant remember the author but Stalingrad by a german doctor who was there when the germans surrendered and their life in captivity till their release in the 1950,s is very good.

Plus anything by Hardy...wonderful stuff.

Many years ago I had occasion to drive back from Reading to Worcester every Friday afternoon for six weeks. I can vividly remember breaking the tedium by listening to a Radio 4 production of Jude the Obscure which was being serialised at the same time.
As the series progressed I became ever more depressed, but at the same time unable to avoid the compulsion to keep listening. Looking back I can only think that I may have been subconsciously - and somewhat forlornly in the circumstance - awaiting a deus ex machina to provide some vestige of a happy ending.
Ever since I have been unable to either face up to any exposure to Thomas Hardy - or drive down the A417/419 without thinking of Jude and his doleful existence.

Because of where I'm from it has to be "Cider with Rosie"

Closely followed by John Moore's "The Cotswolds" which is a stunning and evocative read of the area in the 1930,s

Plus anything by Hardy...wonderful stuff.

FM have you not read "The rise and fall of UKIP" by FN Falcon

Petethegeek have you seen the abridged kindle version "Jude the dude" an everyday tale of surfer folk in Wessex

Edited by islandgun

Many years ago I had occasion to drive back from Reading to Worcester every Friday afternoon for six weeks. I can vividly remember breaking the tedium by listening to a Radio 4 production of Jude the Obscure which was being serialised at the same time.
As the series progressed I became ever more depressed, but at the same time unable to avoid the compulsion to keep listening. Looking back I can only think that I may have been subconsciously - and somewhat forlornly in the circumstance - awaiting a deus ex machina to provide some vestige of a happy ending.
Ever since I have been unable to either face up to any exposure to Thomas Hardy - or drive down the A417/419 without thinking of Jude and his doleful existence.

:lol::lol: You truly are GEEK Pete and I mean that in the nicest possible way..

In another thread a book was mentioned "the man who planted trees" which got me thinking about my favourite books and if anyone has recommendations. I like

The old man and the sea ( Ernest Hemingway)

Catch 22 (Joseph Heller)

Puckoon (Spike Milligan)

I should go with your top choice :good: Brilliant :yes:

I don't like fiction. Never did. I prefer

Winterdance by Gary Paulsen

It tracks his life as a trapper to Dog sled racer. Mostly about running the Iditarod. Brilliantly written.

Also Touching the Void by Joe Simpson

Autobiography of a Murderer by Hugh Collins

I love reading, have done since i was a little boy, whilst eating breakfast i used to read the back of the cereal boxes!...however as things stand i can't think of any works of fiction that i often re-read, unless there is some mystery (e.g. during the Harry Potter series)

Love books by Val Mcdermid, Mo Hayder, Stephen Leather, Phil Rickman, Phil Robinson, Stephen Booth, Jeff Lindsay ( i think you get the picture), at the moment i've got 24 books left to read, to reach the 50 mark of the 100 books you must read before you die list. Started Tale of two cites by Charles Dickens last week.

Cheers

Aled

I love Spike Milligan books I am an avid collector I have 76 of his books Puckoon being the book that started me of and the bible according to being the second.

Then you cant beat Stephen fry's The liar. Brilliantly written and very gripping oh and annoying but you will struggle to put it down.

I need to dig out Puckoon again, I remember reading it in two places especially, looking out over Falmouth Harbour on a sunny day when i was about 17 and again on a balcony in the medina in Rabat.

I should go with your top choice :good: Brilliant :yes:

"The old man and the sea" a brilliant short book about respect, the young lad for the old man and the old man for the sea and his quarry ( respect seems in short supply sometimes) cheers IG

Isn't that the story of Harrison's clocks?

Yes it is but it shows a much bigger picture of life and trials of the times for sea voyages etc.

I also like anything by Hardy.

Edward De Bono rings my bell and Erica Adams is great

I am also a huge Michael Sandel fan

Another childhood favourite was 'z for zachariah', not read that to the kids yet though !

That's a book I started to think i'd imagined - I had a heated conversation with my family where I was screaming "There's a girl in a valley and it's after a nuclear war and this guy turns up who she thinks is nice but he's a baddy, there's a film of it I watched at school" until we googled various permutations of that summary and found it

The film has a very disturbing full frontal of the man which traumatised me as a teenager however