favourite books

islandgun

I've just read Agent Zigzag by Ben McIntyre, about the wartime double agent Eddie Chapman. Absolutely fascinating reading and a real insight into the thought processes of (elements of) the Abwehr during the war..

I've got Operation Mincemeat from the same author yet to read. Operation Fortitude by Joshua Levine is very good too.

zig zag is great, i did that in a week. Did you ever see the Chapman interviews?

Mincemeat also hit the spot though there was a sadness to the welshmans only achievement occuring after his death.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one read 'Private Army' by Vladamir Peniakoff (sp?). That is real boys own stuff. An ageing eccentric explorer that begs the ministry for a part in the war and ends up leading the smallest independent army unit of ww2 in N.Africa and Italy. Its got the lot.

Do readers wives count as books :lol:

Figgy

No. They are research journals.

Any one read 'Private Army' by Vladamir Peniakoff (sp?). That is real boys own stuff. An ageing eccentric explorer that begs the ministry for a part in the war and ends up leading the smallest independent army unit of ww2 in N.Africa and Italy. Its got the lot.

No. They are research journals.

Popski's Private Army is the full title - yes an excellent read. In a similar vein, have a look at the biographies of Paddy (Blair) Mayne who was an early recruit to David Stirling's embryo SAS - he was recruited whilst in the glasshouse for decking his CO!!

A recent find which should appeal to most on here is a book called, Bird Brain by Guy Kennaway. Its a funny novel about a murder on a pheasant shoot, when the victim is reincarnated as a pheasant, and the gundogs are smarter than the humans. The description of the antis is particularly amusing...give it a try.

About halfway through this now (about to start part2)

It's very good

:shaun:

The Inn at The Top, written by one of the landlords of the highest pub in England. (Tan Hill) It's hilarious. from Auntie.

Didnt know there was a book

Me and a mate stayed there before they built accomodation,

They had an old leaky caravan round the back which they said we could stay in (was one of those static types but still leaked)

They came in later to ask if we could keep the electrictiy usage down at around 7 ish onwards as the generator couldnt handle it....lol (we went inside about 5ish and stayed in the bar till gone 3)

It was easter and it blizzarded down.......never have I drunk so much whiskey in my life, don't drink it now, don't like the taste..lol

But what a great night.....throughly recommend a night at the Tan Hill, just for the craic

:shaun:

Just started to re read Jack Higgins books , good simple stories from a time passed before PC and mobiles .

That said having also re read most of Larry Nivens Tales of Known Space and a lot of old Asimov makes you realise just how dated some of these books are and how badly they got it wrong. Hindsight is a real pain.

Edited by Gunman

Fire strike 7/9, apache and apache dawn are all good reads, as is the two by the bomb disposal officer in Afghanistan. The first two cover the same firefight but from different points of view and I presume without each other's knowledge. Fire strike was so this that after giving it to a charity shop I wanted to read it again and ended up buying another copy, not done that with a book before.