Insurance won't pay.

Big Marty

Hi folks bit of advice please, young lad got his first car paid silly money for insurance and unfortunatlly had a crash.Everyone ok thank God but insurance say not standing over it cause car lowered.Now being 100% honest neither him nor me had any idea that it was, I know nothing about cars. So what can I do if anything as much help as you all can give will be appreciated.

Being totally honest here but you can normally tell if a car has been lowered

Unfortunately so can an insurance company.

You can try and convince them you didn't know and it was like that when you bought it, BUT you can't prove it,

So therefore it is a modified car and you didn't tell them.

Where did he buy it from?

:shaun:

Lowered is a general term. So how low was it? Did your son have to slow drastically over speed bumps when other cars didn't?

Some pictures might help. If it was only slightly lowered you might have a case in pleading that you were unaware of the modification.

Tom

Lowered is a general term. So how low was it? Did your son have to slow drastically over speed bumps when other cars didn't?

Some pictures might help. If it was only slightly lowered you might have a case in pleading that you were unaware of the modification.

Tom

I have to slow drastically in my corsa with its factory lowered and stiffened suspension :/ I don't have to inform as it is a in modified car so slowing means nothing.My cousins car can't get over the sleeping police man speed humps as his vw polo is a slammed euro style car.

As for the insurance I think your not going to win tho sorry it's your duty to make sure the car is as described.

Edited by JohnFreeman1310

You could try arguing that it's not a performance modification, it came that way as standard (to you), find out if it's a TUV approved lowering kit as this could remove some suspicion that it contributed to any accident, ask for an independent assessment, etc etc

I think they will fight you all the way but if you keep battling maybe you will get somewhere. My friend had the same situation with an exhaust and he won eventually.

If it was obviously lowered and was apparent to your son (this was my old job and we saw so many young (men) policyholders who bought/modified cars but forgot to declare mods even when asked very specific questions) then he will be hard pressed to make claim stick. The problem is there are so many youngsters who, knowing insurance costs for their age group are very expensive, will withhold information which might affect the premium in the hope they do not have to make a claim. Silly in reality as nearly every young male has an accident in their first year or two of driving.

Sorry but one of those tough lessons the young will learn. There is another issue now in that having had insurance or a claim refused this will have to be declared and will impact on future premiums.

Interesting reading there Norfolk Dumpling - I think you are right about young men - a lot of muppets out there. Ironically, my parents brought me a nice car and I was very keen on not ruining it and never: crashed it, lowered it, made it loud or put silly speakers in it (Must have been an exception to the rule).

You see so many young lads out in lowered cars with loud exhausts and they wonder why the police keep pulling them over - if they want to draw attention to themselves from females, they'll have to accept the attention from the law.

Sorry for the Hijack Big Marty - hope everything is resolved, however I unfortunately don't think it will be good fun for your son.

Yep. I used to publish stats for the media - every time there was a youngster involved in a nasty accident we would be asked to comment - and the collision figures for young men (17-21) were dreadful especially compared to young lasses which begs the question why did the muppets at the EU decide to outlaw gender as a rating factor!!! As you can probably appreciate the young lad with young lads on board is almost uninsurable - but I'm now about to reach the absolute peak of driving. In a couple of years I'll be 65 which was the age (men only, women were a bit worse at this age) where the collision % is at its lowest.

I think they would let him go to the Ombudsman. They aren't paying out - so the worst case scenario is that they might have to eventually. I don't think it will happen.

Youngsters modify cars - I have told a few - it's fine until you have an accident - then the insurers will get a microscope out and see if your car is standard. Then it's adios amigo.

It's a harsh lesson, but be grateful no-one was killed or seriously injured. If he has to pay up - and doesn't - the third party can sue or trot off to the Police - as he has effectively been driving without valid insurance.

Thank god he's ok.On the note regarding lowering,a lad I know was sued for injuries caused to someone he unfortunatly ran over.The injured won massive damages due to the fact that had the car not of been lowered and the factory manufacturers specifications meddled with,the injuries would not have been so severe.

The thing with Insurance companies if they want to be arkward they can refuse most claims but tend to let a lot go through how many have clicked there car is ion a garage at night or off the road to get the premiums down they are most probably flexing there muscles a call to the ombudsman is a possibility but with it being altered he will most probably choose there side

Good news that he is ok. When i get quotes for the defender, i mention everything from the lamping roof mount to the windows i had put in the sides to make pulling out at jcts safer. If these are in writing there is no gray area.

They will try anything to get out of non payment.

That said, lowering can adjust wheel geometry. I have a 320d BMW estate with very low, firm suspension but it is a standard car.

Hope it gets sorted.

John, was your Corsa sold new with lowered suspension?

I gather this was his first insurance in which case he will have gone through the full question set including one which will ask something along the lines of "has the car been modified or adapted from the manufacturers standard specification... " almost certainly this will ask specifically any tuning, suspension or body mods as young lads do that and most insurers don't want them for reasons I gave earlier ie they are vv poor risks in a standard car. Add in hotted up cars/cosmetically changed and you will struggle to find an insurer on this planet who will want them.

What was the nature of the claim - TP injuries? Those the insurer would have to pay but they have the right to recover if they felt there was the ability to do so although this rarely happens. If it is damage only - sons car or TP's you are on shaky ground and Ombudsman unlikely to offer support.

According to his claims handler there's not much in it but that's the rules. I have saw cars lowered round here and to me this wasn't but I doubt I was wrong.personal injury claim, another joke he hit the other chaps tow-bar and not a scratch on his car.Theres no way if I thought car had been modified I would not of made him inform insurance cause I know what there like, and to be honest how does a car not being lowered stop you driving into back of another car different if it was a factor in accident.

Years ago I went into the back of someone at about 20mph

Mine was a write off (Renault, crumpled as it was supposed to)

He got out, asked if he was ok, I had hit his exhaust mainly, creased it, never set any of his bags off, we swapped details and he drove off.

I eventually get the details of his claim, new exhaust, minor paint.

Now he puts in for whiplash, apparently he can no longer help his wife with the housework, finds hoovering VERY painful.

Don't know how much he got but it would have been a couple of grand at least.

It's things like this that keeps puting the premiums up

So why is your lad going threw his insurance ? If he has only damaged his car ? And I had my first car (fiesta ) lowered 40 mm 17" alloy exhaust the lot . Yes it was only 5 years ago but I was a lot more young dumb and stupid . Unfortunatly my car got smashed up by some physco and a baseball bat .i Didn't state any of the mods . I was lucky enough to be aloud to UN modify my car at Jackson's recovery yard before the insurance had chance to get a look . Down side I had to buy a full set of standard wheels . And pop the tyres so it was pretty UN noticable . I got away with everything apart from they nocked around 150£ of the pay out for 2 tiny screw holes in the dash were the boost gauge was . ! Pheww I was lucky thinking about it.. hope your lad gets the best out come

Edited by secret-squirrel

Years ago I went into the back of someone at about 20mph

Mine was a write off (Renault, crumpled as it was supposed to)

He got out, asked if he was ok, I had hit his exhaust mainly, creased it, never set any of his bags off, we swapped details and he drove off.

I eventually get the details of his claim, new exhaust, minor paint.

Now he puts in for whiplash, apparently he can no longer help his wife with the housework, finds hoovering VERY painful.

Don't know how much he got but it would have been a couple of grand at least.

It's things like this that keeps puting the premiums up

Its unfortunately the world we live in. In my business dealing with the public i get at least one letter a year from some no win no fee solicitor trying it on for someone who tripped in a rabbit scrapping or got scatched by some brambles, they are camping in a F%$£*&^ field what do they want tarmac campsites. Makes my blood boil.

So why is your lad going threw his insurance ? If he has only damaged his car ? And I had my first car (fiesta ) lowered 40 mm 17" alloy exhaust the lot . Yes it was only 5 years ago but I was a lot more young dumb and stupid . Unfortunatly my car got smashed up by some physco and a baseball bat .i Didn't state any of the mods . I was lucky enough to be aloud to UN modify my car at Jackson's recovery yard before the insurance had chance to get a look . Down side I had to buy a full set of standard wheels . And pop the tyres so it was pretty UN noticable . I got away with everything apart from they nocked around 150£ of the pay out for 2 tiny screw holes in the dash were the boost gauge was . ! Pheww I was lucky thinking about it.. hope your lad gets the best out come

For the simple reason the Police at the scene told me on the qt after talkin to other driver that he was saying how sore his neck and back where.

Tom

Nope... lowered is not a general term... if the car has been modified in any way then, unless the policy allows for that it will be invalidated..

There are rather a lot of people out there driving round with aftermarket alloys on thier vehicles... that is a modification and technically invalidates the policy... an unmodified vehicle is one that is not altered whatsoever from it's factory spec and fittings... that even goes down to tyres... change the size or rating of the tyres and you are driving a modified vehicle...