Beretta AL391 feed problem

Dear all,

Having a feed problem with my Al391.

The gun is 10 years old and has had some 10 - 15,000 shots through it. I keep the gun spotless cleaning after every use, and keeping everything forward of the bolt oil free. The gun is firing and ejecting the empty cartridge fine. the reloaded live round is jamming in the ejection port.

It was doing this previously a year ago and was repaired at GMK and a new loading gate was fitted under warranty and for 12 months all has been well, now its out of warranty and its ruddy starting doing it again.

Anyone seen this before ?

rgds

GSAW

Some times the carrier (loading gate) can get a little off center , giving it a little twist left or right may help, which way to bend it will depend on where the shell is catching

I agree . On the beretta self loader if you have a problem with loading , then this is the most likely cause . It doesn't happen to many ,but on occation after millions of shots it can let you down .

Harnser

I reckon if you bought a new mag spring, this could well sort your problem. My xtrema has only ever had problems when the mag spring has become weak. The diagnoses you have given sounds exactly like the problem I had. £17 for a new spring and it feeds perfectly now.

Does your magazine spring feel easy to push in?

If the problem is one where the second cartridge jams on the breech face at about the 2 o'clock position then the problem is caused by the cartridge carrier being twisted. This can be there from new or take many rounds to develop.

It is quite common on the 391 model except the very early ones that used the carrier from the 390.

The problem can be cured by twisting the carrier, over the years I have done two of my own and three for other people.

Follow the link below from the US forum 'Shotgun World' that I posted some time ago for details on how to go about it.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=207846&p=1724938&hilit=twisted+carrier#p1724938

Vic.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bring this back up again but I need some instruction on twisting a 391 carrier which is causing the old problem of cartridges jamming in  the 2 o'clock position. VicW's link is not working now so any other info or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Richard  

16 minutes ago, landofficer said:

Try a new recoil spring and mag spring. Very cheap from beretta estore and you will get it the next day. I replaced them last year and the new springs were an inch longer than the old ones. The power that the bolt went forward was very noticeable. 

I had the same problem. New recoil spring fixed it. A round £2.80 off estore. I got 2 as it justifies the postage cost. 

The bolt now slams forward rather than just closes (if that makes sense) 

It's really easy to change.  Just remember to heat up the retaining cap to melt the locktight ( it doesn't take a lot of heat). There's a youtube vid that shows how to do it. 

Hi, thanks for  the replies, It's got a new recoil spring in it. It is a carrier issue, the carrier is slightly warped down on the ejection port side so shells are being loaded against the top right hand side of the breech and sometimes getting wedged. It's an old problem with some 391's and bending the carrier can solve it (VicW) had a link now not available.  

Edited by rickh
mistake

• 4 months later...

I have had a quick look online at this twisted carrier issue and it looks real simple to fix.

On shotgun world VicW off here had a few posts on it too 

Take your trigger group out and look at which way it's twisted and twist it the opposite way, also bend twist it slightly over so it's twisted a little past straight the opposite to how it is now and try it.

There is a picture online if you look at someone doing it in the field with a lestherman to cure his gun from it.

5 hours ago, figgy said:

I have had a quick look online at this twisted carrier issue and it looks real simple to fix.

On shotgun world VicW off here had a few posts on it too 

Take your trigger group out and look at which way it's twisted and twist it the opposite way, also bend twist it slightly over so it's twisted a little past straight the opposite to how it is now and try it.

There is a picture online if you look at someone doing it in the field with a lestherman to cure his gun from it.

Figgy,

agreed, as a short term fix but it will do it again and usually at the most inconvenient time, the permenant fix is a heavier carrier/lifter.

It’s been a fair old while since I used my 391 as my breech bolt is bust, but with say 2 out of 50 shots the cartridge hangs at a 30 degree angle and slightly to the right of the breech. My carrier lifter looks pretty flat by eye, but I’ve read it only has to be fractionally squiffy to cause problems. From memory the carrier lifter is riveted to the trigger group, so it is fairly straightforward to drill it out and swap for a new one?

Edited by Cheesefiend

• 4 months later...

hi,

since posting on here back in March, i managed to tweek the carrier. i shot clays without a problem. now we are back on the pigeons with three cartridges i get this problem now and again so i shoot with just two cartridges. This works well, i put three in yesterday just to get a picture to see what you think. 

Any ideas?

beretta 391.jpg