land rover 200tdi VS 300tdi . info needed

Nowt wrong with a 200TDi, i run a 200tdi defender

I no but the conversation I over heard . Was " Ye the 300tdi is loads better . More torque and more bomb proof them 200's are chocolate "

Surely there isnt that much different . Whatbtje technical difference ? Not the farmer description . Cheers

Edited by secret-squirrel

200s are chocolate? I'd be asking the farmer what he'd been smoking to come up with that.

200tdi from a disco is a popular converstion into a older fender or series. 300tdi has more electrics. either will do the job

Haha this is a farmer that swears by Toyota's and has a old defender with a daihatsu engine in. Must be all that cow poo and turkey ammonia messing with him .:)

I've had both engine in my Defender. 200 just has the edge but that just a personal thing.

The 200 engine cost me £15 & run it for 30,000 miles, I couldn't be asked to rebuild it so put in a 300.

300 engine needs to have the water level checked weekly/monthly as they will cook the head as the pump is up high, where as the 200 pump is lower & will keep pumping what water it has around.

Early 300's have no electric's but newer (about 96) one's have an ECU.

Both are a good engine if you look after them.

As said previously both are good never had 200 myself but know people who have but got a 300 Defender had it 6 years, but yes put a water level sensor on it, I have just put a Madman EMS 2 engine monitoring system on mine, was worth it the header tank split the other day and I had the early warning from the gauge

I've had both in defenders nothing between them but a different timing chest on the front and turbo position you can rant and rave all day long about what is best but there both practically the same engine with identical internals both bomb proof if looked after properly

Not much to choose between the two, but I know a few people who rate the 200 over the 300 (allegedly pulls better, I can't comment as I've not had a 300), all I can say is the 200, they will do high mileages...mine's currently on 165,000+, doesn't smoke at all apart from a small puff on start and has been utterly reliable bar a battery dying. My Disco has a sound chassis but the body's as tatty as they come, it will happily rattle along the motorway at 80mph, but is happier at 70 and it still goes places pretty much any other car won't!

Not much to choose between the two, but I know a few people who rate the 200 over the 300 (allegedly pulls better, I can't comment as I've not had a 300), all I can say is the 200, they will do high mileages...mine's currently on 165,000+, doesn't smoke at all apart from a small puff on start and has been utterly reliable bar a battery dying. My Disco has a sound chassis but the body's as tatty as they come, it will happily rattle along the motorway at 80mph, but is happier at 70 and it still goes places pretty much any other car won't!

I used to service one with 250k+and another with 400k+ They are a brill bit of kit!

Both have been broke after excessive corrosion

The engines fitted to series landys and still going!

200tdi pulls slightly better than a 300tdi. 200tdi makes a bit more noise. 300tdi a bit eassier to work on.

Both great engines, wouldn't buy the one or the other just because of the engine... At this age the engine isn't the thing you shouls be worried about...